Chosen Frozen II - Cover

Chosen Frozen II

Copyright© 2011 by lordshipmayhem

Chapter 24: Confrontations

Science Fiction Sex Story: Chapter 24: Confrontations - The continuing adventures of the colonists of Thule. The 12th is now being expanded from Brigade to Division - more challenges, more people, more battles, more Sa'arm.

Caution: This Science Fiction Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   mt/ft   Fa/Fa   ft/ft   Consensual   Science Fiction   Humor   Space   Polygamy/Polyamory   Military  

"Here it comes," remarked Ensign Wattie, preparing to button up. Three more Rommels had been delivered to their location, First Squad. The impossibly young ensign was happy to have the commander of the lead tank, Lieutenant Satterthwaite, there to back them up. They'd also received another platoon of infantry and a brace of SPT-301 medium missile launchers, bringing the self-propelled artillery up to two full, if mixed, batteries.

"Prepare to move out!" the Lieutenant called. "Wattie, take your squad off to the right. I'll take my squad off to the left, we'll hit them in a pincers movement. We'll take one squad of infantry with each of us."

"Aye, Sir!" Wattie replied enthusiastically. He tried to swallow his terror as he prepared to take on the Swarm for the first time.

Sergeant Viletti was far less eager, and far more cynical. He knew from first hand experience in battles against his fellow humans back on Earth that men, good men, could get killed by some green-as-grass officer becoming overly enthusiastic. Besides, he'd already had the privilege of taking on the Swarm, and would happily have postponed a second engagement indefinitely if it meant an indefinitely longer life.

Viletti didn't share his concerns or preferences with his ensign or with the crew of his tank. Instead he simply slammed his visor down and ordered, "Squad two, button up! Sir, ready to move out!"

Ensign Wattie stuck a thumb up, and then raised his arm over his head. As he chopped his arm off to the southwest, he ordered, "Wagons ho!"

'Not terribly military, ' Sergeant Viletti thought sourly as his tank shuddered to life and boiled out of its dug-in position, 'but it gets the job done.'

Swiftly two lines of Rommel tanks, each line trailing an LAVT-102 armoured personnel carrier, went forth to meet the enemy as dark storm clouds began to gather.


Captain Schlemmer of the fire support ship CSS Barnegat waited nervously for a response to his latest message. He'd heard the increasingly desperate requests from the troops ashore for his services, and he was close to being finished with that list of targets that the mad scientist from the CSS Arthur C. Clarke had foisted upon him. Now he'd requested reassignment of targets to concentrate on the hive sphere and its environs.

He didn't like letting the Marines down, on this, his first mission. His crew was growing puzzled and restless at this apparently pointless act of blowing random holes in the sandy stretches of Hesperus. At this rate they would shortly be ready to mutiny unless they were given the chance to make a much more direct and clear contribution to the ground forces - that was, after all, the purpose of the Barnegat and her Absecon-class sisters. Their primary mission was certainly not this civil engineering using orbiting artillery pieces.

Unfortunately, at the moment the only officer who could countermand the last orders to the Barnegat was incommunicado. Nobody knew where the Clarke or her fellow ships had gotten to. They only knew the four craft had escaped the accidental encounter with an unknown number of Swarm vessels.

Coming to a conclusion about his next action, Schlemmer slammed his fist against his seat arm. His voice was clipped. "Communications, message to Commodore Swanson. Copy to 123rd Marine Brigade. 'Mission under Operation Foxhound has been completed. Request permission to immediately provide Marines fire support.' Message ends."

Andrew Swanson happily responded with, "Permission granted for immediate fire support of Marines. Contact Colonel Waterman, currently located planetside."

Schlemmer's visage took on a predatory gleam. "Acknowledge message received and understood, and contact this Colonel Waterman."

"Sir, Colonel Waterman sends his regards and requests you target the Hive Sphere."

Lieutenant Rodegard, the Barnegat's chief weapons officer, called out, "Target acquired, ready to fire!"

Obviously, Schlemmer mused, his own crew were like him in being impatient to lob some shells down on the heads of their hated enemy. "Three rounds, then let's reassess what damage that does. SHOOT!"

As fast as the gunnery crew could reload the ponderous main gun, three shells reached out to touch the Swarm in a loving embrace of death. Aboard the Barnegat, the entire ship's company held its collective breath.


Captain and crew of CSS Pendennis Castle were holding their collective breath, too. Alone and crawling at sub-light speed, with all weapons systems off-line and shields still not up to full strength, they would not prove any challenge whatsoever to a determined Sa'arm foe. The rest of the battle fleet had gone off chasing the Swarm, leaving this one solitary corvette to make a rather poky 'best speed' to the nearest outpost where, hopefully, they'd be able to secure replacement superluminal drive engines.

And just off her bow, a superluminal trace indicated something was emerging. And the trace indicated that the 'something' was big enough to be a warship. With most of the Confederacy warships either chasing the remnants of the hive sphere's escorts or in orbit around Hesperus, that left the likelihood of a friendly ship appearing in Pendennis Castle's neck of the woods quite low.

Captain Wygant had removed her battlesuit some time back, as everyone turned their hands to damage repair. Now she could only mentally curse the luck that found her entire ship's company in duty dress, with no time to change – not that battlesuits would have had any noticeable impact on her longevity should they prove to be nose-to-nose with a Swarm frigate.

Impotently the Bridge crew stared ahead through the view screen, hoping against hope.

"Sir!" the communications rating called. "Contact pinging IFF! Friendly! She's the La Grange!"

Captain Wygant felt a wave of relief wash over her as the disturbance in the star-field resolved itself into the form of a Haskell-class attack transport. Wielded to her hull were a pair of superluminal engines, of the kind used by corvettes.

"We were told you could use a pair of these?" read the message from the La Grange's captain. "Outpost zero-zero-niner had them just sitting around, so we decided to take them with us."

As her bridge crew hooted and hollered around her, Captain Wygant permitted herself a small smile. Things were going her way, at least for now. It looked like CSS Pendennis Castle would survive to fight another day.


The mushroom-shaped cloud from the third round was beginning to dissipate above the hive sphere's landing zone. Slowly, painfully slowly, the interference from the flying debris began to dissipate so that the sensors could start reading the results. The shock wave flying across the planet's surface prevented drones from coming in close, lest they be batted from the sky.

Visuals were no good at the moment, especially from orbit. Storm clouds filled the area where the ground battle was to take place. In fact, the storms were building around the planet. At this rate, in about another 84 hours it was likely that the entire planet would be covered by a massive storm. Temperatures were beginning to plummet and lightning lit up the clouds in an impressive display of pyrotechnics.

Because the battle was technically still in progress, Captain Matt Schlemmer was stuck in his acceleration couch, belted in and battlesuit plugged into the Barnegat's internal communications and life support. Otherwise he would have been hovering over the shoulder of his sensor technician, Corporal Klesmer. As it was, the corporal could feel the pressure coming not just from his captain but from every other fellow crewman. Like every other crewman on board and all the concubines, he had his visor closed as protection against hull breach.

Suddenly six tiny objects passed the Barnegat, moving toward the surface of the planet with impressive speed.

A voice broke onto his bridge – one familiar to him, but not to his bridge crew. "Thanks, Captain, give us a second and you'll have your data," came the calm voice of a Southern patrician gentleman.

"Thank you, Clarke!" he replied, his communications rating relaying the message.

"No trouble. I see you've fulfilled your instructions. Good job, Barnegat. Must have been frustratin' for you."

"Like you wouldn't believe." He then added to the communications rating, "Copy the Admiral's compliments to the crew."

"Aye, Captain."

The six sensor drones were much more powerful than the standard drones used by the Marines, being capable of taking readings not only of potential targets but also of weather and some idea of the geology and topography in the area as well. They arrowed into the atmosphere with wings folded back, like the Barnegat's shells but nowhere near as fast, only spreading those wings out when they reached air thick enough to glide. They spiralled around the hive sphere's landing zone, each weaving an independent track hopefully far too random to be predictable by any surviving Swarm anti-aircraft artillery.

What they revealed was shocking, even to the most battle-hardened soldiers and sailors.

The Voluptas had shattered like an egg. Scattered pieces of hull plating and warped and twisted stretches of internal support beams lay around the landing site. Where the ship itself once sat, a crater had been dug deep. The rim of the crater was unstable and falling into the deep caldera.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.