Chosen Frozen II - Cover

Chosen Frozen II

Copyright© 2011 by lordshipmayhem

Chapter 13: The Wreck of Hesperus

Science Fiction Sex Story: Chapter 13: The Wreck of Hesperus - The continuing adventures of the colonists of Thule. The 12th is now being expanded from Brigade to Division - more challenges, more people, more battles, more Sa'arm.

Caution: This Science Fiction Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   mt/ft   Fa/Fa   ft/ft   Consensual   Science Fiction   Humor   Space   Polygamy/Polyamory   Military  

CSS Arthur C. Clarke and her escort entered the Hesperusat system some two days after departing Thule. The system looked quite different from two months ago during the First Battle of Hesperus. The encounter was called that because everyone from the Admiral to the lowest rating on the smallest corvette was expecting at least a second round, and sooner rather than later. Hopefully that would be followed by a third and even a fourth - "hopefully" because when the numbering of the battles ended, the chances were good that the system would be in Swarm hands.

The only habitable planet, Hesperus, now had three orbiting battle stations, two of which were still under construction. Small early-warning sensor platforms, hopefully too diminutive to be easily detected by Sa'arm sensors, orbited the system's primary near its Oort cloud.

The fleet at Hesperusat were scattered throughout the system and beyond. Most of the warships were aggressively patrolling the system's outer boundary and beyond. The transports were all clustered in orbit around Hesperus itself, ready to perform a quick evacuation should that become necessary.

The marine garrison consisted of one-third of the Chosen Frozen available to General Deschenes. They were widely scattered, doing military engineering projects: building martellos, caching supplies and trying to make landing on the planet a thoroughly unappetizing proposition for any self-respecting Swarm Trooper. At the moment, only a handful of the martello fire bases had been finished, all scattered along Hesperus' equator. The main headquarters ashore was still located in the vicinity of the first Swarm landing site, where technical intelligence staff were dissecting those few scraps of Sa'arm weapons and ships that had survived the battle.

Captain Todmorton dragged his senior science officer Lieutenant Payne over to the one completed battle station, the Ralph Alpher, to meet with the senior officer of the Hesperusat task force, Commodore Andrew Swanson.

"Now remember," Toddy threatened his errant officer as they waited in the Commodore's anteroom, "fly right. No jokes, no insults. This man may not be in the same service as I, but he could have my job."

Payne smiled evilly at that happy thought.

"I'm serious. No joking. None."

Payne regarded the supercilious popinjay with a raised eyebrow. "Did you follow the naming of the battle stations?" was his cryptic reply.

Toddy blinked at the apparent non-sequitur. "No. I assume they're named after fallen Navy heroes."

Payne gritted his teeth. "Ralph Alpher. Hans Bethe. George Gamow."

Toddy continued to draw a complete blank.

"The Alpher-Bethe-Gamow paper?" Payne ventured.

Still no connection. Clearly, Payne realized, physics was not Toddy's strong suit.

"AI," he finally sighed in frustration, "please enlighten my comrade here on the topic of the Alpha-Beta-Gamma paper. The Wikipedia condensed version, not an in-depth discussion of the theoretical implications regarding the Big Bang."

"Bethe had nothing to do with it?" Toddy asked in surprise as the AI filled in the blanks.

"From what Gamow said, his name was signed in absentia."

"Are all you scientists nuts?"

"Of course," Payne replied. "How do you think we stay sane?"

The communicator on the Navy sergeant's desk chimed, and the black-uniformed man ushered the two Fleet Auxiliary officers in to meet with the august personage within.

The Commodore rose to return the salute that Toddy offered, then shook his hand. He then embraced Lieutenant Payne, to Toddy's astonishment.

"Alex, you old reprobate, you got extracted?" was Commodore Swanson's reaction to his second guest. Toddy realized he shared the same Virginia patrician's accent as Payne.

"I surely did. I got five concubines out of the deal too."

"Five?" The Commodore was amazed. "How did you manage that trick?"

"I was targeted," Payne preened. "I was thusly allowed a supernumerary, as long as that was another scientist. I got myself my best student, Georgina Hannaford."

"And what of Delphinia?" the Commodore enquired.

"Alas, she passed away, shortly after that Average Joes special aired. Breast cancer."

"Oh, my sympathies." Andrew's face grew sombre for a moment.

"And look at you," observed Payne. "All done up fancy as a peacock. I told you messing around in that sailboat of yours would lead you to a life o' crime."

Andrew smiled back, grateful for the change of topic. "You did, you did indeed. Now, what's this super-secret project that brought us back together?" He cocked his head inquisitively.

For what seemed like the hundredth time, Payne explained Plan Foxhound. Like all the rest, Andrew Swanson's mood grew grim as the implications set in.

"I still have family on Earth," Andrew fretted.

"As do I. As do most of us out here, I suspect," responded Payne. "All we can hope is that when this artificial ice age gets triggered, they won't be alive to suffer through it."

"Not a great hope. Not a great choice, either: get killed by the Swarm, or get killed by the Confederacy." Swanson didn't sound happy. "How does it feel being the one leading the charge to exterminate all life on Earth?"

"Oh, I feel special," Payne assured his old friend, his voice thick with black humour. "Real special. I should be ridin' the short school bus."

"So what do you need from me?"

Payne glanced significantly at his Captain. "Skipper here has some special orbits we need. If you'd clear the Clarke for them, we'd be eternally grateful."

"Special as in how?" Swanson subvocally commanded the AI to project the orbits on a convenient patch of wall. "Very special." He whistled. "These are low. Doable, but you're scraping the exobase at perigee on some of them."

"Agreed, but we need to get this data."

"Granted. AI, please advise Orbital Control, Clarke gets priority on orbits."

"Thank you. By the way, our geologist would like the Captain to talk to you about doin' a complete geophysical survey, includin' seismic tomography and gravity gradiometry. He's also askin' the skipper to get permission for the Clarke's AI to quiz her fellow ships' AI about any orbital perturbations they've encountered."

"Granted, although I doubt if it's necessary," Swanson nodded. "I'm sure the AI are already doing so. That data's not exactly classified."

"And the biologist needs to go down – there's an issue there. She's a concubine."

"I'll arrange for a Marine escort, with instructions to treat her as if she were full Fleet Auxiliary." Swanson grinned wryly. "Maybe I'd better not state which service. Marines don't typically have much use for Fleet Auxiliary."

Payne flashed an amused smile. "Might be wise. Also, we're showing on the preliminary scans a lot of water on the planet, but there are no oceans or rivers. Any explanation there?"

"No, we've never wondered that. We've just considered the planet to be a barren ball of dust, a desert planet. Any rainfall just gets soaked into the sand."

"Well, our aerologist and geologist will both be havin' fun with that, I'm sure," Payne reassured him.

"Well, Captain, is there anything else I can help you with?" enquired Swanson politely, with just the slightest trace of irony.

"No, Sir, not that I can think of," replied Toddy, hiding his irritation at how he'd been largely excluded from the conversation.

"Very well. Best of luck, gentlemen. I'll have a chat with my Marine counterpart below and get his co-operation as well. Sergeant O'Donnell will see you to the transporter room. Dismissed."

Payne came to attention as Todmorton saluted the Commodore. Within minutes, they were back aboard Clarke.


As much as Colonel Stan Waterman would have liked to say "no" to Payne's request, he realized that the more he knew of this battleground, the better it would be for both him and his men. As a result, he created a scratch squad under the command of Sergeant Viletti to assist the scientists in their endeavours, and gave him permission to draw as many LAVT-102 armoured personnel carriers as he might need. He further authorized the sergeant to go directly to him if additional personnel or equipment might be required.

Viletti was not amused about escorting what he considered to be "civilians" around "his" battlefield, but accepted it with good grace. He reasoned that the sooner the boffins got about their business, the sooner they'd be out of his hair. The fact that one of the scientists was a very cute brunette concubine was a touch of sauce to the assignment, even if – as she belonged to another sponsor – she was unattainable. Eye candy was eye candy, after all.

Today, the third day after the Clarke's arrival, found him and his squad escorting the aforementioned concubine on a biological sampling mission originating at Martello Zero Zero Three. She would train the squad in the art of sample collection, following which they would split into pairs and take individual LAVT-102s from other points around the equator.

"Hi, cutie," she addressed Viletti, flirting with him shamelessly. She turned serious. "We need to go here, here, here and here." She indicated four points on the map, heading east from the equatorial Martello Zero Zero Three. "We'll take along four sampling kits and a sensor platform, and leave the sensor platform at the farthest point."

The next martello to be built was located to the west of Zero Zero Three, Viletti noted. The sampling points she'd selected would be where the martellos being built from Zero Zero Two would hopefully link up with this.

A martello, or martello tower, originally was an 1800's gun platform of about two to three stories, circular and built of thick stone, often with a basement and a tunnel connecting it to the primary fort. It provided cover for the troops inside and gave them 360 degrees of both cannon and musket fire, setting up kill zones that prevented besieging troops from just walking up to the defence works. The modern version was also a fire-support base, but dug into the ground. At Hesperus, the martellos had a battery of four gun/howitzers at the cardinal points and connected by deep trenches. These trenches surrounded a set of bunkers made from eight Type 1 pods dug into two levels of earth. Although only manned in times of danger, they contained quarters, arms, rations and a power supply, and could also serve as a hospital or sector command post.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.