The Teacher - Cover

The Teacher

Copyright© 2011 by Cor

Chapter 6: "He's Mark's father!"

Lisa Cummings?" asked a police officer holding a clipboard.

"Yes, that's me."

"Just sign here," said the officer as she handed her the clipboard. "You just made bail."

"What do you mean?" she asked, "I didn't pay anything. Who paid it?"

"That lady right over there," pointing to a blond haired woman that was walking out the door.

Lisa tried to call out to her but she was already gone.

"Does it say on there who posted bail?" she questioned.

"Um, yeah, I can sort of make it out, a Ms. Venera something, I can't quite read the last name," said the cop. "Here look."

Lisa glanced down. She could make out the first name, but was unable to decipher the scribble of the last name.

"Well, you're free to go. Here's your court date."

On the way down the steps she ran into Meredith who was just walking up with a tall, handsome man of about six foot four.

"Oh Lisa, I can't believe that someone did this to you," said Meredith as she gave Lisa a big hug. "Hey! Wait a minute ... I thought you needed to make bail? How did you get out?"

"I did, but someone already paid it for me."

"Who?"

Lisa explained about the mysterious 'Venera' with the indecipherable last name

"Oh, I'm sorry, Lisa. Let me introduce my friend. This is Harold Pettigrew; he's a lawyer. As soon as you called me, I called him. I left early from work to come get you. What I suggest is that I drop you off at my place so that the two of you can talk comfortably. During that time, I'll go pick up Mark from school and I'll stop somewhere to pick up supper, as well."

"I really don't want to be a bother..."

"Think nothing of it."

"Very well, then ... I accept."

Meredith dropped Lisa and Harold Pettigrew off in front of her flat and said she'd be back in twenty minutes. The lawyer had a spare key.

For about forty five minutes, in Meredith's living room, the lawyer and Lisa talked. During that time, Lisa described how the air conditioner had failed, how Meredith's son had started the whole thing by taking his clothes off and how the others had followed his example, her long discussions with Meredith, the wading pools, the Parent/Teacher meeting and Crenshaw's reaction. Finally, she told him that when she had been arrested, not one child had wanted to stay dressed.

"Fine, Miss Cummings; I think we've covered everything. There's one final detail ... I'm sure of the answer but I must ask the question, anyway. Has there been the slightest hint of any inappropriate behavior at any time?"

"NO! AB-so-LUTE-ly not!"

"Good. I'm sorry but I had to ask. I think we have a pretty good case. Now ... I'm quite confident about this and I will gladly defend you but, even more important, will you accept me as your lawyer?"

"I ... I don't know ... I've never had to deal with a lawyer before ... I don't have much money."

"Please don't worry about that; for the moment, my fee is covered. If, at a later date, the situation changes, we can talk about it at that time."

"Very well; I accept."

"This does not settle where you'll go tonight, however. If you don't mind me suggesting it, Meredith suggested you might like to stay here, at least for tonight ... unless, of course, you'd prefer to go somewhere else. I've found that, frequently, a person who just been released from jail prefers to spend some time with friends."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.