Payback - Cover

Payback

Copyright© 2011 by SW MO Hermit

Chapter 2

Getting on with life

7 Months After George's Arrest

Life was good once more. I still missed Patty sometimes but that ship had sailed. I suppose; no I know what I missed most about Patty was the companionship and sex. If truth was told I had been getting pretty tired of Patty's disrespect and sour temper even before I had caught her fucking what I thought were my two best friends. I knew Joe was an asshole and had the ethics and morals of a snake but damn, I just never in my wildest dreams thought he would fuck the wife of his best friend.

For a couple months after the divorce I was not the easiest person to live with but in truth much of that evil temper I carted around was over the disrespect and even the vandalism to my father's store and my home by my so called friends. Well, at least I was pretty sure they were the ones who had done it, perhaps at Patty's request. Unfortunately the Police were never able to find the perpetrators. The one bright spot in my life at that time other than my family was my friend Glenda.

Glenda and I had dated occasionally in high school but more as friends than because we thought of the other as a potential mate. We had lived close together; played together from the time we were toddlers and many times studies together. Truthfully we were much too close to cross that emotional line and try to become more than good friends. Even during my divorce I thought of Glenda as a pillar of strength, a great companion and good listener when I wanted to vent about my problems. Besides, she understood what I was going through because she had been there. She also knew what an asshole Joe was. He was her ex! As close as we were however, we never thought about becoming lovers.

I had been there for her when she and Joe had divorced and she was there for me during my time of pain. We also had a business relationship because she sold Real Estate and I built houses. I bought my first piece of property through her and made sure she was the listing agent for all property I sold. She was also the rental agent for the few properties I rented.

After my divorce she was almost hurt terribly when George, another of our friends and classmates found out I had let his wife know he had been fucking Patty, my ex. He came to my house while Glenda was there chastising me for upsetting Susan. I had just explained why Susan had been so upset when a drunken George came barreling into my driveway and crashed his truck into her car.

After he stopped George broke down my front door and destroyed items in my home with a tire iron as he went from room to room hunting me. We were fighting on the patio when Glenda said something to infuriate George even more. He stepped toward her and swung the tire iron. Thankfully he didn't connect fully but it tore her blouse and left a pretty nasty looking scrape and cut across her abdomen.

After the police had arrested George and taken pictures and statements Glenda and I were exhausted. We sat on my couch and had a couple of drinks while we unwound. Glenda fell asleep there and I carefully carried her into my guest room, removed her shoes and covered her. She smiled gently and sighed while I was doing that. I staggered back to my bedroom and lay across my own bed. I fell asleep with the light on and slept straight through. Neither of us cleaned up that night we were so tired.

The next day I was awakened when my parents and George's wife Susan came into my house hunting me. They found me standing behind the door to my bedroom where I had hidden in case yet another upset person had broken into my home to attack me. I was holding my trusty souvenir ball bat. It was the one I had used to hit a grand slam home run that won my high school the state pennant my senior year.

Mom and Dad were upset when they saw I could barely move my left arm and Susan was crying and apologizing when Glenda walked up behind them. We hadn't cleaned Glenda's injury the night before. In fact, I wasn't even aware she had been cut until I saw the bloody blouse that morning. Mom and Susan made a fuss over Glenda and marched her to the bathroom to clean her injury. After they were done, Glenda and I guided them down the hallway and filled them in on the previous night's activities. Mother and Susan got busy and made lunch for us all. While they were doing that first I, then Glenda cleaned up. I gave her one of my shirts to wear since her blouse was trashed. She put on the same skirt she had been wearing.

After my guests left Glenda and I sat on my patio under the old growth oak trees and looked over the small stream running through my property. It was dusk and we could see a couple of deer come out of cover and begin grazing. We were sitting in a large padded swing and without thinking I slid slightly closer to her, put my right arm around her and pulled her closer. She looked up at me and smiled.

I smiled back at Glenda and said, "How do you feel now? Does your stomach hurt where that asshole hit you?"

Glenda smiled up at me and said, "Not much. It is more of a pulling from the scab and a little burning occasionally. What about you? Your arm is still swollen and I can tell you can't use it very well. We really should have taken you to the doctor you know. I was so scared when he came after you and hit you so hard. When you fell I was sure he would kill you like he threatened."

I could tell from the look in her eyes that she had been truly worried about me. I watched her closely and somehow, her face changed. It got somehow softer and her eyes glistened more some way. I never realized when I moved but I found myself leaning down and I gave her a gentle kiss. Glenda turned more toward me and I felt her arm go around my neck as she pulled me down and held my lips against hers.

Finally we broke the second kiss and leaned back, still looking at each other. I think we were both shocked by what we had done. I know I was. I felt my face tighten and I started to apologize. Glenda said, "Shhhh." She put her fingers on my lips and continued, "Don't say it Stan. I don't know where that came from but..."

We sat looking over the stream, our thighs gently touching until it was too dark to see that far any longer. My stomach growled and we both laughed. I stood and reached out to help Glenda get up. "I'm hungry and I don't feel like cooking. What say we trip down to Sam's and get a burger?"

Glenda argued some about doing that but in the end she agreed to go. Except for our aches and pains and the steady stream of friends and acquaintances coming to our table to check on our health the meal was very pleasant. We talked and even laughed together more than we ever had in the past. I could feel the difference in our relationship but still I did not think of Glenda as anything other than a really, really good friend.

Finally, about 9:30 p.m. Glenda leaned back in her seat and said, "Stan I hate to be a party pooper but we really need to get out of here. Tomorrow's Monday and we both have to work. I need to get back home and do some laundry too. I can't believe I came to your house Saturday night and we have spent the entire night and day together. I didn't get hardly any of my weekend chores done."

The next three days were pretty rough on me. I never did go to the doctor for my arm and it hurt like fury every time I used it. Late Wednesday I was trying to help a crew raise a long wall for the current house we were building. One of the brace boards slipped and grazed my arm. I felt an excruciating pain go through it and this time I could barely move it. My foreman took me to the hospital this time. I was almost in tears from the pain.

The emergency room doctor gave me hell when he saw me. He told me I was lucky I hadn't injured myself permanently. My arm was severely bruised and I had a serious fracture. They also worried about blood clots and in addition to splinting my arm they gave me some medication to reduce clots. He put me in the hospital overnight for observation. Between the pain pills and being super tired I just went to sleep after they got me into a room. I never thought of calling my parents or even Glenda. I had sent my foreman home telling him I would call one of them to get me when the doctors were done with me. No one knew, therefore, that I was in hospital.

Thursday morning about 10:30 my foreman called my parents to talk to me. He told mother he had been trying to get me on the phone for over an hour and I didn't answer my home phone or my cell. He asked, "What time did you get him out of the hospital. He must really be sleeping hard if he can't answer the phone!"

Mother came unglued at that and informed him they had not gotten me out of the hospital. He told her that I must have called Glenda then because I had told him I would call one or the other. He also explained why he had taken me there. Mother told him she would check on me and get back with him. As soon as she hung up she called Glenda at work and I became the proud 'owner' of two scared, worried, PISSED OFF women. After she called my father to let him know what was going on she took off for the hospital.

Glenda arrived at the hospital about five minutes before my mother because she was at work and didn't have as far to drive. She came screaming into my room yelling at me and crying at the same time. She rushed to my bed and balled her fists up. She looked down at me and began yelling, "You ASSHOLE! Why didn't you call me or your mother? We've been worried sick ever since Harry called your mother trying to find you.

I looked up at Glenda in shock, and then I felt my face burn from embarrassment. I said, "Oh, Crap! It was almost eleven before they finished with me. They had given me some pain medication then decided they needed to keep me overnight. I was drifting in and out of it and I just totally forgot. Crap, I'm sorry Glen."

I saw my mother standing just behind Glenda when I said that and she said, "You're going to be even sorrier if you ever do something like this again. You have half the town worried to death right now son. If Glenda doesn't beat some sense into you I will. Now how are you feeling?"

About that time I realized Glenda was holding my hand and looking down at me with a strange, almost loving look on her face. The three of us talked more then Glenda had to leave because she had a showing. Mother decided she needed to make a few phone calls to let people know I was ok.

Before mother got back into the room my doctor came by and released me. Mom took me home and made sure I was comfortable. She fixed me a pot of her delicious cream of chicken soup for supper then left to go back home.

I was eating my supper when I heard the doorbell ringing. I was slow getting up and moving to the living room and before I got there I heard a loud pounding on the door and Glenda was yelling. "Stan are you OK? Dammit answer the door or say something. ARE you ok?"

I finally got the door open and she stood there with a scared look on her face. She brushed past me and said, "Dammit what's the matter with you? Can't you answer the door or at least tell me you're coming? I was scared something had happened!"

I calmed Glenda down and apologized then invited her to come have some soup while I finished my supper. Over our meal we calmed even more and began visiting like old friends do. We both relaxed and things were almost back to the way they had been but there was still something...

I was so tired after the hot soup. I began yawning and could hardly hold my head up. I had taken a pain pill when I began my meal and I suppose it was making me tired. Glenda saw I was almost out on my feet and insisted I go to bed. It was a little after eight by then so I let her bully me into doing that. I don't even remember covering up that night.

I woke early the next morning, Friday, and got up. I normally sleep nude but I found I still had my briefs on that morning. I stripped them off and started for the shower. Before I got there I decided to make coffee so I could have a cup as soon as I finished cleaning up. I was standing at the kitchen counter when I heard the patio door slide open. I turned toward the sound and heard a gasp. I felt my heart leap with fear then I felt my face heat up. Glenda was standing in the door staring at my naked form.

Glenda turned away from me and began stammering. She said, "OH GOD! I'm sorry Stan. I should have knocked but I saw the light on in the bathroom and there wasn't a light here so I ... Your mother and I talked last night after I put you to bed and decided I would check on you before I went into the office. She gave me a key to your back door and I was going to make you breakfast. I'm sorry!"

"Ok Glen. No harm done I suppose but unless you want another eye full you need to turn around again. I had started to shower and decided to make coffee first so I just came in like I was. Why don't you sit down and when I get done we can have some coffee before we decide on breakfast."

When I returned from my shower I had put on a T-Shirt and docker shorts. I was going to the work sites today but didn't plan on working so dressed to be as cool as I could. I found Glenda sitting on the patio watching the mist rise from the small stream as the newly risen sun's rays slanted down through it. I got a cup of coffee and joined her. She just looked up at me and smiled. Neither of us said anything for a short time then she looked over at me and said, "God Stan it's so beautiful and peaceful here. I'm so jealous of you. I wish I had the money to buy this when I sold it to you and now I want it even more. You've got the most perfect home here."

"Yeah, I know. I wouldn't give this up for anything. I came so close to losing it too. Patty insisted on a Pre Nuptial agreement before the marriage to protect her savings and potential inheritance. She had her attorney leave out protection for me and I didn't catch it. My father caught the fact the agreement only protected her and sent me to an attorney who advised me to include wording in it to protect my pre marriage property like she did hers. If I hadn't done that, she might very well have either got this place or I might have been forced to sell it during the divorce."

I think Glenda saw the change in me when I began talking about the divorce again. She reached out and placed her hand on mine then said, "I'm sorry Stan. I didn't mean to bring back bad memories. I know how easy it is to slip back into those feelings of anger and hurt. It took me over a year to be able to think about Joe and our divorce without getting angry and hurt again. What's it been for you? About six months?"

"No Glen, around seven since the divorce was granted and only about five from when it was final. I still want to get even with that witch and her friends and family. Sometimes I find myself thinking of ways I can hurt them all like I was hurt. I am so glad you and some of my other friends talked me out of what I was planning earlier but I still need some payback."

"You know, I wonder now, remembering the way her first Pre Nuptial agreement was worded and how angry she and her father got when I changed it ... I wonder if she and maybe even he didn't want to get their hands on my families and my property. I was so convinced she loved me and was trustworthy but now, looking back..."

"You remember how Patty was in school and college. She was a flirt and put out more than most of you girls did. I guess I was just like most of the guys. I fell for the pretty face and fine body. I was sure after she said she was mine that she was solely mine. SHIT, now I wonder if she EVER quit fucking around and if she was just using me like she used to use her other boyfriends. You know she was always an expensive date and if you didn't give her a GREAT gift for special occasions it took forever to get back in her good graces. I think her picture should be used in the definition of 'high maintenance'.

Glenda looked over at Stan and squeezed his hand. "I know how you feel Stan. Joe was sort of like that. He always wanted more toys. We didn't have much money when we were married because we were young and just starting out in life. I wasn't selling much real estate and he didn't make much working as a framer for his first company. I was always arguing with him because he bought luxuries before we paid our bills and bought food. A time or two I had to borrow money from my parents to buy food or pay utility bills. He was always cashing his pay check and drinking a lot of it up on paydays."

"Now you sit while I go fix some breakfast. It's almost 7:30 and we both need to get to work soon."

Stan leaned back from his empty plate and said, "Glen that was great. I thought Mom made delicious omelets but this one made hers look like a beginner's first attempt. Now let's get our butts in gear and get to work. Leave the dishes and I'll take care of them tonight."

"NO! It won't take long to put them in the dishwasher and I refuse to leave dirty dishes lying around. If you have to go now do it. It won't take me five minutes to clean up here."

Stan sighed and moved to help Glenda. In less than five minutes they were done and going out the door. She had parked in the center of the driveway. He opened her car door for her and as she started to get in, without thinking, Stan leaned down and gave her a gentle kiss.

Glenda gasped and stepped back. Her eyes were almost frightened when he looked down into them. Stan hadn't even realized what he had done until she had that reaction. "Oh, Shit Glen. I'm sorry. I just ... Hell, I didn't even think about what I was doing I just ... CRAP!"

Glenda got in her car and sat looking out the window at Stan for a moment. Finally she put the key in the ignition and started it. Stan watched as she turned her head without a word or gesture and backed down his driveway. He was still standing there as she drove out of sight.

Stan didn't see or talk to Glenda the rest of the day or that weekend. He went to his parents for lunch Sunday and his mother got in his face as soon as he walked into the kitchen. She said, "Stan what did you do to Glenda Friday? I called her last night to see how things went and she began crying. She never would tell me what the problem was. I sent that girl over there to help you and if you hurt her I'll..."

"Mom I didn't do anything. We sat and talked on the patio with coffee then she made breakfast. I didn't do anything or say anything. I don't have any idea why she's upset. Are you sure she's upset with me? All I did was..."

Stan stopped talking and stared into space. His mother stepped closer to him and said, "YOU WHAT? Stan what did you do?"

"I was putting her in her car to go to work and ... OH, HELL Mom, I kissed her. I apologized and she didn't say anything, she just left. I..."

Betty looked shocked then she laughed and said, "Oh, no, you didn't do anything to her did you? Well, I'm sure she'll get over that! Your father's in the den. Go on in there until I call you for lunch."

Monday evening Stan was sitting in his Den/Office working on his books and preparing bids. Unfortunately he wasn't getting much actual work done. In fact, he was staring at the computer screen and thinking. His thoughts wandered from Patty to Joe then to Patty's parents. He still wanted to do something to get even with them all for the hurt he had been put through. He would start to plan something then he would remember what Glenda had told him months ago about being a better person if he let things go and forgot, even forgave them.

When Stan's thoughts wandered on to Glenda he felt himself cheer up. His heartbeat increased and he even felt the beginnings of arousal. He frowned then shook himself and with a sigh turned back to his work.

He was working on a proposal when he had a great thought. He knew how to get even with Joe and not be totally an asshole about it! The beauty of this plan was he could also tweak Patty and her Parent's nose at the same time. Patty and Joe were living together now. Patty was only working part time as assistant manager of a convenience store. Rumor had it her parents had to help her and Joe with living expenses fairly regularly.

George, of course, was no problem because he had been sentenced to two to five years in prison for his actions the night he had attacked Stan and Glenda. His departure from the business he and Joe ran had put a financial strain on Joe. In the divorce Susan had gotten half of George's share of the business. Rumor had it she was causing Joe a lot of trouble because she was demanding her share of the profits in cash immediately as soon as the money came in. She was in position to make sure Joe didn't cheat her either because she was the business's accountant.

Joe was running tight because he had to pay for more help since George was not there to do his job. They had been a two man handyman and small construction/remodeling business, only hiring extra help on larger or rush jobs. With the added labor and Susan keeping track of all his expenses and bank accounts good old Joe was having trouble cutting the wide swath as he was used to. All Stan had to do was ramp up his small sideline of handyman and fixit business. He could undercut Joe on prices, make sure the work was better and drive him out of business. He smiled and went back to work.

The next morning Stan called the foreman of his remodeling and repair crew into his office. He explained he wanted to expand in that area and gave him instructions to make sure the jobs were done faster than the bid time. He also instructed him to go the extra mile by doing a little extra free of charge. Stan told him he would bid the jobs close and to take all the new work he could get. He promised if more employees were needed he would pull crews from new construction until they could hire qualified help. Stan smiled when he said that because he knew where the help might come from. When they got to where they needed more employees in that area he would just offer Joe's best part time men a little higher salary to work for him.

After his foreman left Stan picked up the phone and made a call. "Susan," he said when the phone was answered. "Susan, this is Stan. I have an idea I want to run past you. Can we meet for lunch?"

At lunch Stan explained his plans to Susan. At first she was upset, even a little scared. "Damn you Stan you can't do that! I am barely making ends meet now and if you ruin the business I'll lose part of my income. Hell, I might even lose my house! You can't do this to me. Haven't you done enough already?"

Stan was shocked at first then he began to smile. When Susan saw Stan's smile she became more angry and snarled through her tears, "You asshole. You really don't care who you hurt if you can get even with Joe and George do you?" She started to get up from her chair as tears fell from her eyes.

Stan reached out and grabbed her wrist. He pulled her toward him and said, "Susan, wait. I didn't realize ... I'm sorry but I think I might have an idea. I don't want to hurt you or anyone who hasn't messed with me. Please, sit back down and let me explain..."

After the meal and their discussion of his plans and Susan's fears Stan leaned back in his chair and said, "OK, if I understand everything we've talked about and agreed on we can do this. You get your current income and the chance of much, much more later. I get some satisfaction from Joe. I'll have my attorney draw up the agreement. After everything is done, you will trade your 25% share in Joe's remodeling business for a 25% share of mine. You will transfer all ownership to your share of the tools, good will and other assets and receive a pro rata share of mine. You understand we will keep separate records of the remodel section and that is the only part of my business you will share profits in. I will incorporate as three separate businesses under a holding company umbrella. We will then have the remodel division you will own 25% of and a new construction division and landscape division. I will be the President and Chief Operating Officer and you will be the Chief Financial Officer/accountant. We will not tell Joe about our agreement until absolutely necessary. Agreed?"

Susan smiled and nodded her head. It took three weeks for all the paperwork to be completed then they started operating under the new structure. Really nothing changed to the public perception. Everyone still called on Stan for bids and he was still a hands on manager. The main change was the growth of the remodel section.

Several weeks before Stan talked with Susan Glenda had become a semi permanent fixture at his house. The night Stan and Susan made their agreement at Sam's Cellar Stan went home and found Glenda once more in his kitchen cooking supper. She was humming and flitting around his kitchen when he came into the room. He just stood with a smile on his face and watched her work. Several weeks before he had given up and gave her a key to the place. He had become embarrassed many times to arrive home later than usual and find she had either been there and left or was sitting waiting on him to return. Neither of them had taken time to define their relationship but there was definitely one there.

Many evenings they would sit in his living room and watch TV or would work on projects together in his Office. They were a couple even if they never officially accepted that fact.

Glenda finally saw Stan standing in the door and stopped flitting around. She saw him watching her and said, "What? Why are you just standing there watching me? Is something wrong?"

Stan shook himself and walked into the room. He walked up to her and gave her a gentle kiss. It felt so good when he felt her wrap her arms around him and hug him to her. The gentle pressure of her breasts against his abdomen aroused him. He felt his cock stir and tried to pull back. Glenda moved with him and kept contact. She smiled when she felt his hardness against her belly. She raised her head and gave him another quick kiss and said, "Supper will be ready in about ten minutes. Why don't you go clean up while I finish?"

Stan walked into his bedroom and did as she asked. He wandered back into the kitchen as she was putting supper on his table in the breakfast nook. He walked up behind her and placed his hands on her hips, pulling her against him once more. He let his hands and arms slide around her onto her stomach. He leaned down and kissed her neck and said, "It smells wonderful. Thank you but you know you really don't have to do this for me. I can make my own meals you know."

"Yeah but this way I know you are eating right and we neither one have to eat alone now do we?"

Glenda watched Stan throughout the meal and as they were finishing she asked, "OK Stan. You're up to something. You look too pleased with yourself for it to be anything normal either. Now what's going on this time? Did you get another big contract or what?"

"No, nothing like a big contract or anything like that. I have been talking with some of my employees and another owner of a small remodel business. We have decided to enlarge our remodel crew and take on more of the small jobs. I have merged that owners business with the remodel part of my business. I am going to incorporate and the corporation will have three divisions—remodel, new construction and landscaping. The new investor will become my Chief Financial Officer. I will be President and Chief Executive Officer."

"Oh, that's great! Who is this investor? Do I know him?"

"Unh, well, it's not a him. It's a her and yeah, you know her. Susan is having trouble making ends meet so I let her buy into my remodel business with her share of George and Joe's business she got in the divorce. The corporation will pay her a little higher salary than she makes now part time as an accountant and we expect her share of the profits from the remodel business will be greater than she gets now from Joe. She should be able to live better and won't have to worry about income from Joe. She said he is having more and more trouble making his payroll and her profit share has shrank badly over the last year.

Glenda looked over at Stan and said, "And this wouldn't be a way to give Joe the shaft now would it Stan?"

"Uh, well, not really, it's a good business decision. I've been turning away remodel work for a long time because it isn't as profitable as new construction but ... Well, it might hurt Joe but that isn't my only reason for doing this."

Glenda just looked at him and sighed. She sighed and said, "I should have known you couldn't let it go. Just don't get all tied up in the revenge and forget you ARE a businessman. I don't want to see you doing things just so Joe will hurt. Are we clear on that?"

Within five months Joe was on his last legs. He was being constantly hounded by creditors. He was losing help because many times his pay checks bounced when they tried to cash them. In short, he was down and out. Stan had hired away all the good workers and Joe was left with inexperienced or poor workers. He had many complaints about the quality of his work and as his reputation slid so did his profit.

One night at their favorite hangout—Sam's Cellar—a local bar that served wonderful pizza and sandwiches, Joe staggered up to the table Stan and Glenda were sitting at. He was already drunk on his ass.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.