Picking Up the Pieces
Chapter 32

Copyright© 2011 by Wes Boyd

January 2002

Once again, Dave could have skipped this month's trip to New York, except for the need to bring Shae home. Spending the time with her made it worthwhile, and he was anxious for the waiting to be over with.

For the most part, the rest of the trip could have been done over the phone or not done at all. He visited Aaron Tietelbaum, more for a face-to-face than for a document signing since they'd been calling, faxing, and e-mailing back and forth regularly. Aaron had been able to defer and spread a huge tax bite by setting up a trust fund for the boys. While it easily ascertained there would be funds for college and for a start in their own lives in the future, it made a significant cut in the amount of funds Dave would face having taxed. Even so, any kind of an investment fund would leave him on the edge of not having to work again, at least at Bradford prices. While Dave intended to stay at Duncan and Fyre for a while, he was becoming increasingly detached from the office politics and hassles -- all he really wanted to do was his work and stay above the petty stuff.

Not much came out of his meeting at the office, either. In the days before this trip to New York he'd finished up Maiden of Hvalfjiordur, thinking it was a pretty decent book. It probably wasn't going to hit anyone's best seller lists, but they weren't going to lose money on it. He left with a couple of new projects to deal with, both of which he'd known were coming, and both of which, for that matter, he'd already downloaded from the company server. The only disappointment was he was going to have to delay his meeting with Rob to discuss the online books idea for yet another month, since Rob was on vacation in the Caribbean, a place warmer than Manhattan or Bradford.

Maybe some time, he thought, probably not this winter, he and Shae might make a trip down there, spend a few days together lying on the sand, soaking up the rays, doing some clubbing, and seeing some sights. It was a perfectly satisfying vision, something he thought he might want to keep in mind for a honeymoon.

As he took the subway back to Shae's studio, where he'd left the Chevy parked, it happened to cross his mind that he had never spent much time thinking about marrying Shae -- and, for that matter, the subject had never come up between them. There was little doubt of it happening in time, possibly later this year, but they'd both been very careful about the use of the term -- "being together", or "staying together", or something like them were the terms used. Dave knew in his own mind, it was lingering respect for Julie, the desire to not be disloyal to her, to not stain her memory by rushing on to something else. From what little Shae and he had talked on their relationship, it seemed she'd understood his sensibilities and respected them.

It was fine with him. The subject would have to be raised sometime, maybe not soon. After all, these days, lots of people lived together, sometimes for years and years, without benefit of marriage, raising kids and otherwise living a normal family life. But was it fair to the boys to contemplate that kind of an arrangement? Was it an example he wanted to set for them? He didn't think it was, and his gut reaction had been, so far, to not let the boys know the extent of his relationship with Shae. To them she was still "Aunt Shae", a good friend who verged on being a surrogate mother, but not the real thing. Whatever happened, it was something he had to deal with in the near future, or he wouldn't be fair to the boys that way, either.

That night was bittersweet. He and Shae had been together for ten days in both Bradford and the city, and in many ways their relationship had become tighter throughout the period. That night wasn't one for the exuberant monkey sex they both enjoyed; it was one for much cuddling, gentle lovemaking, and long kisses.

He definitely felt down when he got on the road the next morning. It was going to be a full two weeks before they saw each other again -- picking her up from Indianapolis and bringing her back to the apartment carried with it the penalty of him being in New York a little early for his normal schedule. If it weren't for the holidays, he'd be arriving in New York today, instead of departing.

It was the usual long, dull drive back up I-80 to Bradford, and unlike previous trips Dave didn't have any compelling issue in need of dissection during the trip and he wasn't in the mood to think about his book, so it was even more boring than usual. At least there was a full set of Dayna and Sandy CDs in the car, a Christmas gift from the duo. They kept his mind busy much of the way, but after a while he grew a little tired of them and found something different to listen to for the rest of the way home.

January can be a dull month. The excitement of the holidays is over with, and there's not much to look forward to except the long, dull drag to spring. In a sense, it was a little duller than normal for Dave, for he didn't have some of the things that had diverted him in past winters. He found himself missing more than normal the interactions of the office, the constant stream of people. Other than the boys and occasionally Kayla, about the only people he saw for days at the time were the few people he said "Good morning" to at the school, and Emily or Janine when he went in to get his morning coffee.

Beyond that, life settled into a fairly strict routine. Once he got back home, he worked on the book till noon, and made pretty good progress, since he was fresh after getting the boys around and walking or on bad days, driving, them to school. The first draft was coming along slowly, and he didn't mind slow since he wanted to be careful and avoid typos and errors, but he was satisfied with his progress, usually a chapter every three or four days. At noon, he broke for a quick lunch, a sandwich and sometimes soup, then turned to work on the current project from Dunlap and Fyre, which would carry him until it was time to go pick up the boys.

He didn't work as effectively when they were home, but he usually got in another hour or two while they were playing or watching TV. He always spent time with the boys in the evenings, and might work on editing a little if they were watching TV. Then would come Shae's nightly phone call and story time; once he got the boys to bed, he'd usually just sit and read for a while until he was sure they were asleep, then call Shae back. Sometimes they'd only talk for a few minutes, sometimes for an hour or more. If he had some time left over, he'd read, edit, or just think about what he wanted to write the next day.

Shae had about as much news for him as he had for her -- she saw a lot more people around the set, of course, and there were all the rumors and office politics and everything else that made her day a little more interesting than his. She had thought perhaps the contract situation would get settled over the holidays, but reported management hadn't even raised the issue. She hadn't asked them herself, but some people around the set who had asked said they'd been told that things were "still up in the air", not that it meant anything useful. Shae was suspecting, even hoping, more and more that it meant Avalon would be canceled at the end of the season, and she'd be able to move on to something else, something she would rather do, even if she wasn't sure what it was, yet.

As the days passed, Dave and the boys were all looking forward anxiously to Shae's next visit. There was a cold going around the school, and of course the boys caught it and had to stay home for a couple days, which meant Dave caught it too, just a couple days before Shae was due to come. Then, to top it off, from the little he'd been watching the weather, he realized a bad winter storm was working their way, and it hit Bradford the night before Shae was due to leave. By morning the town was pretty well closed down, the schools were closed, and it didn't look like the snow would let up for a while.

This wasn't good. Dave usually didn't call Shae at work, but this was different; at least he caught her between setups, so they'd have a couple minutes to talk. "Have you been keeping an eye on the weather?" he asked.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.