Picking Up the Pieces - Cover

Picking Up the Pieces

Copyright© 2011 by Wes Boyd

Chapter 16

By this time, several loads had come down the elevator, mostly furniture and other items Dave recognized. Dave's cell phone had gone off two or three times during Eve's story, mostly with minor decisions to be made. The biggest one was the refrigerator; it had been sitting three weeks, most of the time without power. Shae said it smelled pretty bad, and they didn't dare open it for long in fear of stinking everyone out of the apartment. "I'm thinking of letting it sit till the last moment, then throwing it in the dumpster without opening it," she told him. He agreed it sounded like a good idea to him.

In that period, there were several boxes carried down on the carts; most were stacked near where he and Eve were waiting, but some, marked with large 'X's, were carried directly out to the back of the minivan. No one said what it was all about; Dave pretty well figured he knew but didn't want to ask.

Late in the morning, the crew came down to the loading dock, and Dayna and Sandy produced subs, pop and chips from the motor home. From the pile of boxes and the general tone of discussion, it seemed to be going well up there and the end seemed to be in sight. The lunch break didn't last long; by early afternoon, people were drifting back downstairs. "Emily and Shae are giving it one last go-through," John reported. "But it's stripped, except for the reefer. Scott and Aaron are going to deal with it as soon as the women are finished, then that'll be it."

In a few minutes, Emily was back down with the group. "Shae went to turn in the keys," she reported. "I don't expect the truck for another hour at least, so no big deal. It went better than I expected. Dave, some of us would like to hike over to the scene and get a better look, if you don't mind."

"Fine with me," he nodded. "I'm sure you'll understand if I don't want to go with you. And walking is the best idea; I'd imagine the parking is impossible from here on in."

"That's what Shae said," Emily smiled. "She told us how to get to the viewing site. We'll be back in an hour."

As it turned out, everyone went but Eve and John, who stayed with Dave. When Shae got back from turning in the keys, John wordlessly got in the minivan and drove off; again, Dave figured what it was all about.

Everyone was back within the hour, acting pretty subdued; though the scene had to have changed since Dave had seen it; it was still pretty shocking and sobering. Emily got out her cell phone, and after a few minutes reported the truck wasn't far out.

Dave was still expecting something like a U-Haul; he was in no way prepared to see a large semi pull into the lot, the tool-belted beaver logo of General Hardware Retailers on the side. On the door of the huge Kenworth tractor was lettered, Sallows Brothers Trucking, Bradford, Michigan.

Dave just shook his head. "Emily, I said you don't do things halfway, and this proves it."

"No big deal," she said, "Dean knew he was going to be coming back from Boston with a partial load, so we canceled the rental truck when we heard about it."

"A little bootleg, huh?"

"Not hardly," she smiled. "I called Mr. Russell at the plant about it. He said it was all right with him, but he wasn't sure if he could approve it, so I called the Vice-President for Distribution in Denver, and he said it was fine." She smiled and turned to Shae. "Your dad says it'd be nice if you called him some time."

"Shae," Dave shook his head again, "Your dad is..."

"Vice-President for Distribution," she smiled ruefully. "He took over when Eve's dad retired. Emily doesn't mess around; she goes right for the throat."

The semi was soon backed up to the loading dock and people were hauling stuff on board when Dave discovered the driver was Dean Sallows, another '88 he hadn't seen since sometime around graduation. He'd thickened up a little and had a huge full beard and a baseball cap with a Dale Earnhardt 3 on it. "Good to see you again, guy," he smiled. "Hate like hell to have to be like this, though."

"Yeah, me too," Dave nodded. "But it's good to see you, and everyone else. I sure never expected any of this."

"No big deal," Dean shrugged, and turned to Eve, who was standing next to Dave. "Hi there, ya little squirt," he smiled. "How ya doin?"

"Just fine, you big lug," she smiled back, and all of a sudden the two were in a hug. That, if nothing else, told Dave just how far they had come since high school -- Dean had been one of the kids who harassed Denis worse than most. Both of them had changed a lot, he thought. There's been some growing up going on.

Many hands made light work of the pile of Dave's stuff on the loading dock, and in a few minutes they were done and had everything loaded and tied down in the truck. "You're welcome to come to dinner, Dean," Emily said.

"Better not," he scratched his head. "This place ain't a hell of a lot better than Boston for needin' forty acres to swing the rig around. I think I better just get on up to 80 and put the pedal to the metal."

"Well, we'll catch you tomorrow in Bradford and make up for it," she smiled. "You take care, Dean, and thanks." In a minute or so, there were a couple blasts on the air horns, and black smoke rolled from the dual stacks as Dean headed out to battle the Manhattan traffic.

"That's the one downside," Emily told Dave. "It means we have to get back pretty quick ourselves, since we'll have to unload your stuff before he can go to the loading dock at the plant. We've got a little time to spare but not much, so we better get a move on."

"Dave," Shae added. "Why don't you ride in the motor home this leg? We're just going back to the apartment and deal with the stuff there."

"All right," he said, realizing there was stuff in the van to go to the Albrights. Shae had promised to take care of it; presumably she or the McClellans would be performing the sad task. "Shae, you and Emily are fantastic; I can't believe you organized it so well, just for me."

"Like everybody's been saying, no big deal," she smiled.

Thus it was that Dave had no chance to look over his shoulder at Battery Park Village and the remnants of the World Trade Center -- he was sitting around the table in the motor home as Aaron, Scott, Sonja, and Kevin renewed a gin rummy game that had apparently gone on much of the way from Bradford. It had been a long time and he had a lousy hand, but all of a sudden, they were back in the Battery-Brooklyn Tunnel, and that part of his life had vanished behind him unnoticeably.

The surprises weren't quite over -- Vicky had cooked a massive spaghetti dinner while they'd been gone, and there were a few cans of beer passed around as people relaxed a little. It wasn't until then Dave learned Vicky's baby daughter Melissa had been born on the morning of September 11; as far as Dave was concerned, that made her something pretty special.

Very soon, things were wrapped up, and Eve, John, and Shae came downstairs to watch the departure. As others were loading the motor home, Shae caught up with Dave, and pulled him to the side. "Come back to me, damn it, will you?" she said in a small voice -- and then, all of a sudden, they were in each other's arms. They had kissed twice before, but those were just good-natured teenager's good night kisses. This was considerably more, and in spite of everything, he meant it just about as much as she did. He was aware of the big woman in his arms, the power, the warmth, the love she had, the ache she was going to feel when he left, and not for the first time, he wondered if he was doing the right thing in leaving her. Finally, they broke, and she repeated, "Come back to me, damn it."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.