Picking Up the Pieces - Cover

Picking Up the Pieces

Copyright© 2011 by Wes Boyd

Chapter 3

Over the next several hours, Eve managed to draw Dave's story from him. He told her about Julie, how they met and seemed to fall together, and he just drifted off into the story.

Dave told her how, even back in high school, he'd wanted to somehow work in the book industry, preferably with the science fantasy he loved. He'd realized early on if he was going to be in the business he'd have to be in New York, the hub of the industry, and had figured early on that the best way to gain any foothold was to go to school there. A long struggle with quite a bit of luck gained him acceptance at Columbia University. Of the eighty-some kids in the Bradford Class of '88, only he and Jennlynn Swift, the valedictorian, had managed to get into such prestigious schools -- she'd gone to Caltech.

Columbia was a very strange world for a small-town kid like he'd been. In his first year, he had lecture classes larger than the whole of Bradford's high school. It had been shaky at first, and it took a bit of adaptation, but once he got things together he'd done well. One night, he'd gone out for an evening with his roomie, his girlfriend, and her roommate -- Julie. She was from Hartford and a well-to-do family, pretty far from being the small-town, farm-country boy with a widowed mom who had to watch every cent. They were enough different that they found much to talk about that first evening, mostly about how different they were, and at the end of the evening, they'd agreed it would be fun to see each other again sometime.

When summer rolled around, Dave had managed to secure an internship at Bacon and Simon press. It was a scut-work job, but it gave him his first foot in the door of the publishing industry. He didn't see Julie all summer -- she was at home for an internship at her father's company -- but they'd managed to talk on the phone a few times. By the time fall rolled around, they were glad to see each other again. New York can be great fun for a kid with a girlfriend, even if he didn't have much money. Together, they'd done a lot of the fun things there are to do in the city: caught some great shows, visited some of the exotic clubs, and had a good time. And, slowly, along the way they fell in love.

He met her parents during the summer of that year, when she'd invited him up to Hartford for the weekend. He got along all right, if distantly, with her folks -- it was pretty obvious they'd rather see her interested in someone with money, someone with some future in the business world, rather than one in literature. But they were polite, and he was polite, and they stayed distant.

By the time they were seniors, they were engaged. She planned on continuing her MBA, while he wanted to go to graduate school; funds were thin just then, so he'd decided to take a year off to work at Bacon and Simon, mostly reading books that came in over the transom. It was clearly going to be expensive to live, even in a tiny apartment in a safer section of Manhattan, but a little to his surprise, she offered to move in with him to split the expenses. Her folks didn't think much of that idea, so they eloped one weekend and were married by a justice of the peace, avoiding the huge and expensive social wedding her mother had set her heart on at the moment she knew she was going to have a daughter.

Over the course of the winter, he found a couple promising writers at Bacon and Simon, but he'd seen an awful lot of trash, too. Still, those finds and the subsequent treatment of their manuscripts gave him a good reputation as a promising editor in the really rather small world of books. That winter, he started taking classes for his master's, part time; the following fall, he went to his supervisors at Bacon and Simon and told them he wanted to finish it up full time. They told him that when he did, he'd have a job when he wanted to come back. But as his work on his master's drew to a close, he'd gone trolling a little and accepted a good offer as a mid-level editor at Dunlap and Fyre, and he and Julie moved to a bigger apartment on the lower west side, near the Village.

Julie had her MBA by then and was working at Smith, Fawcett, making good money, but she soon realized there was a glass ceiling there, too. After a while, they decided to turn a problem into an opportunity; they both wanted to have kids, and they wanted them before she was too seriously established in her career. This looked like an opportunity, so they deliberately set out to get her pregnant. Tyler was born in January of 1996, shortly after she quit working at Smith, Fawcett; Cameron came along eleven months later. A few months after Cameron was born, Julie hit the job market again, first part time at Harris and Wheeler, and a few months later, full time at Bellinger Gates. It seemed like a good place for her; she was making good money and seemed to have a bright future.

After it was clear she was going to be stable at Bellinger Gates, they decided they needed a bigger place, so got a nice, if expensive, flat in Battery Park Village, close enough that they were in easy walking distance of their jobs. She'd been promoted a couple times in the last two years, and so had he. They were now a nice young urban professional couple on the rise, and life seemed perfect.

Until yesterday, when it proved their life was really a house of cards that tumbled with the tower.

"I don't even know if I have a job anymore," he sighed. "I know the buildings facing the World Trade Center took a pounding. But Eve, even if they're habitable, I don't know that I could even go to work there again. Every time I looked out a window I'd see a pile of rubble where the towers used to stand and where Julie died. Damn it, Eve," he said, the tears he'd managed to hold back so far starting to flow, "She was my life. I don't know what I'm going to do without her. I'm not even sure I care."

"You have your boys to think of, you know," she smiled. "Wouldn't she want you to carry on?"

"I know," he sobbed. "But it seems so futile."

"Dave, do you believe in life after death?"

"Not really; I wish I did, but I don't."

"If there is, wouldn't she want you to show your love for her by being the best dad you can be to your boys?"

"I suppose," he nodded, the tears still rolling.

"Dave, I told you it's all right to cry," she told him in her warm, low, mellow voice. "You need to cry for her, and you don't need to be ashamed about it. I know it's hard to believe right now, but your boys still love you, your mom still loves you, you have friends who love you and will help you carry on."


It was a long morning, and not a happy one. A couple times, they watched the ongoing coverage on television, but Eve never let it go on for very long -- obviously just enough to help the reality sink in. By the middle of the day, Dave was beginning to accept the reality as he sat in the kitchen, still dressed only in Shae's bathrobe.

Shae was in and out of the kitchen a few times, tanking up her coffee, and getting breakfast for the boys. Dave was vaguely aware she was talking with the boys and playing with them in the living room, but paid little attention. Finally, Eve called a halt. "We probably ought to come up for air," she smiled. "And you might like to get some clothes on. I'll get with Shae and see what we can do about lunch."

"Yeah, I think I need the break," he nodded.

"I think what I got you will fit," she replied. "Just sweats and like that, I think on the large side, but it'll do for today."

It felt good to use the bathroom, to get dressed. He didn't feel good, but he didn't feel as dismally depressed as at this time yesterday. Eve's incredible empathy had let him talk out a lot of things he hadn't even realized himself. How lucky he was to have had her available! For the life of him, he couldn't remember her from high school, although she'd clearly been a member of his class, and she remembered him well. That was vaguely troubling; there were only eighty-one graduates of the Class of '88 at Bradford. While there had been kids he hadn't known well, he'd at least known everyone -- and he was just plain drawing a blank on her. Blank or not, though, it was good to have her to talk to.

Back from getting dressed, he found the boys at the kitchen table -- sitting up pretty high, too, considering he'd felt like a shrimp next to it -- it was also Shae's size. A little bit of investigation revealed the boys were each sitting on several books, while Shae was busy at the counter, making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. "Dave, I can do PB and J for you," she smiled. "Or there's still some of the tuna salad left."

"The tuna salad, if it won't be any problem," he said.

"If it would have been a problem, I wouldn't have mentioned it," she grinned, cutting the sandwiches, then taking the plates over to the boys. "Tyler, Cameron," she asked, "Would you like some milk with that?"

"Yes, please, Aunt Shae," Tyler said.

"Aunt Shae?" Dave smiled.

"Tyler and Cameron and I talked it over," Shae reported as she headed for the refrigerator. "We agreed that since I'm an adult, it's not right to just call me by my name, but since the kids on TV get to do it, it wasn't fair to make them call me Miss Kirkendahl, either. We decided that since they didn't have any real aunts, I could be their Aunt Shae."

"Sounds like a fair deal," Dave smiled.

"I must say that you have a pair of nice and polite boys," Eve said. "I think you and Julie did very well with them. I hope Sergei and Milla are as nice and polite when they're Tyler's age."

"Sergei and Milla?" Dave asked. "Your kids?"

"I can't have children, so John and I adopted them from a Russian orphanage a couple years ago," Eve explained. "They were barely a year old, but we decided to leave them that much of their Russian heritage. They're pretty good kids, and John makes quite the doting father. I really should get home and see them, if only for a few hours." She let out a sigh and continued. "Perhaps we'd better make plans for the next move."

"Yeah," Shae agreed. "Dave, from what I could pick off the TV this morning, there's no way you're going to be allowed to get into your apartment soon, even to just get clothes. But you and the boys are welcome to stay here as long as you need to. I don't want to have to leave you sleeping on the couch. I've never set the third bedroom up and just dumped stuff in there. I can arrange to get a bed and dresser in there if you're going to stay for a while."

"We don't really know, do we?" he asked. "It might be a couple days, or it might be a couple months. I really don't want to put you out that long."

"You're not putting me out," Shae said flatly. "This place is pretty big for me, just by myself. Up till last spring, I always had a roommate. I won't mind having one again for a while, especially under the circumstances."

"Shae, you may be too kind," he said gratefully, "But I'll take you up on the offer, for now, anyway, until things get worked out. I feel I should pick up my share, though."

"No way," she said. "At least not now, not until you find out what happens with your job and stuff. Once you know you're going to be stable, we can work it out. Until then, you're my guests."

"Like I said, Shae, you may be too kind, but I'll gratefully accept."

"Like I said, no big deal," she smiled. "Next problem. Your mom has called a couple times this morning, wanting to know if she should come. Emily is planning on coming with her, I guess. She's been here before, and I've always put her up then. So, if your mom is coming, we're back to the extra-bed problem, or else we'll have to find a motel room."

"There's another problem," Dave sighed. "I can't really invite Mom without having Julie's folks here, at least for a little while. Her dad will be all right, but her mom will be very emotional and overprotective of the boys. We, uh, don't like each other very much."

"Not surprising," Eve nodded. "I sensed that last night. I can be here to temper it, of course. While I need to get home to see John and the children, and there are a couple of my clients who are probably frantic, I'll make it work. I'll find a few minutes this afternoon to call John and my clients if I feel I shouldn't leave here."

"Maybe having Emily and Dave's mom here would take the edge off of it," Shae suggested.

"Good point," Eve said. "We'll just have to make it clear that we can't have too much confusion. On the other hand, perhaps a little group therapy will be useful, too, at least among the adults."

"No planes are flying," Shae noted. "But if we give Dave's mom and Emily the go signal, they'll be ringing the bell in twelve hours or less. It's probably not a good idea to have them driving all night, so we need to get them moving now, or wait until tomorrow."

"Julie's parents probably can be here in three to four hours, depending on how bad the traffic is messed up," Dave commented. "They would be here now if they knew where to come. Maybe. I can't get over the thought that they knew where the boys and I were as much as you two did, and they didn't do anything about it."

"She sounded rather hysterical," Eve noted. "Perhaps they weren't capable of thinking very clearly."

"Wouldn't surprise me," Dave snorted. "How about if we tell Emily and Mom to start this way, but don't figure on getting here before late tomorrow afternoon? Eve, you and I could call Stan and Deborah, talk with them a bit, maybe have the boys talk with them, and you could tell them that too much confusion isn't a good idea today, maybe tomorrow?"

"Mostly because it's true," she nodded. "I could do that."

"Eve, while you did well on picking out these sweats," Dave said. "I need to be dressed better for Julie's folks. It doesn't have to be real nice. I take it there's a K-Mart around here somewhere? That'd do for now."

"A couple miles," Shae nodded. "There's better places, too. I could maybe hit a furniture store and do something about the bed problem. Or, maybe we could just get some cheap sleeping bags and pads while we're at K-Mart."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.