David and Bathsheba - Cover

David and Bathsheba

Copyright© 2011 by Kaffir

Chapter 17

Clive duly appeared before Pitsbury Magistrates Court on Monday charged with trespass with intent to commit a sexual offence under section 63 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003. It was no more than a formality. Magistrates Courts may not deal with a charge of such severity. As such, no witnesses were required. Clive was remanded in custody to appear before the Crown Court.

Tom turned up for work. He had thought about it over the weekend and in the train that morning. He could not bear the thought of using Clive's office: the things on or in his desk, the keyboard his fingers had touched and which would have defiled his Briony, the chair he had sat in. He went to his own office and said good morning to Susie before ringing Sir Norman's office.

Stephanie was clearly expecting his call. "Come on up," she said.

He found Tony Herbert waiting. They both went into Sir Norman's office together.

"Good morning both of you," said Sir Norman. "Sit yourselves down. Tony, I should probably have told you on Thursday after Tom rang me but decided to let him tell you the story himself."

Tony looked mystified.

"I'm sorry, Tony, but I have been withholding information from you but when Tom has told you his story I think you will consider me justified. Tom?"

Tom told the story as briefly as he could. Tony's face changed from interest through anger to disgust.

"Tom, I'm appalled," he said when Tom finished, "and I'm so sorry that you have both, particularly Briony, undergone such a miserable and worrying time."

"Tony, when Tom rang me I made two executive decisions without consulting you. I suspended Wheeler on the spot and appointed Tom interim Design Director until the case has been heard. I hope you support me."

"I do indeed, Sir Norman." He smiled at Tom. "And I have no doubt that you will do a great job."

"Thanks," smiled Tom.

"So," went on Sir Norman, "I'd like you, Tony, to call Tom's division together and tell them the news."

"I'd be delighted to, Sir Norman. Are you sure you wouldn't like to do it yourself?"

"No, Tony, it's only a temporary appointment."

"Um," said Tom diffidently. "I can get Trish to empty the office of all Clive's stuff but could I ask for it to be spring cleaned and the desk and chair to be replaced before I move in?"

"You bet you can," replied Sir Norman understandingly. "You can tell Trish to organise it right away. Tony, would you have a word with the office manager."

"Yes, of course. Come on, Tom, let's get on with it."

All three rose and Sir Norman shook Tom's hand. "Good luck! I'm sure you won't need it though."

"Thank you, sir."

Tony and Tom went back downstairs to Trish.

"Trish," said Tony. "Would you assemble everyone in the director's office? I have something to say to them."

Trish looked at him in surprise. "Yes, Mr Herbert. It'll take me about five minutes."

"Fine. Tom and I will be in his office. Come and get us when you're ready."

Trish was already out of the door. Tom and Tony followed her and went to Tom's office.

"Susie, Tony's going to have a word with everyone in the director's office," said Tom.

Susie looked searchingly at him. "Is Briony OK?"

Tom nodded.

"Thank God!" She looked for a moment as though she was going to kiss him but then thought better of it in front of Tony. She left the room with a smile at both of them.

"I hope she's not going to be hurt when I announce that Margaret Tennant will be holding the fort for me," said Tom.

"You mustn't let your friendship warp your judgement, Tom," Tony said gently. "She's only in her early twenties and fresh out of university. Margaret is a mature and experienced engineer."

"Absolutely. It's just that she and, since they got engaged and married, Rory have been enormous support."

"I'm sure and, being the sensible girl she is, she will realise that her time will come."

Tom nodded.

Trish put her head round the door. "Everyone's arrived," she said.

"Thanks, Trish. Right, Tom. Here we go."

He led the way. The chatter quieted when they entered the room.

"Good morning, everybody," said Tony. "Thank you for coming in at short notice. I have to tell you that Mr Wheeler was arrested on Wednesday night." There was a general sharp intake of breath. "I cannot tell you what he has been charged with but can tell you that it is likely to be serious. So serious that the chairman saw fit to suspend him until he is found not guilty. If he is found guilty he will be dismissed. We therefore have an interregnum until things are sorted out during which Tom here will be acting Director of Design."

There was a moment's pause as everyone took in what had been said followed by sustained applause. Tony noticed the pleased smiles on everyone's faces. He pushed Tom forward. The applause died away.

"Thank you all for that welcome," said Tom. "I hope and intend to live up to everyone's expectations. During my temporary elevation, I'd be pleased if you, Margaret, would hold my fort."

Margaret went pink with embarrassment and pleasure. "Thank you," she little more than whispered.

She was clearly a popular choice. There was more applause and those that could reach patted her on the back.

"Well, that's it, I think," went on Tom. "I'll be round to chat to the section heads in the next day or so provided Trish lets me out of here."

He and Tony stood aside. Susie held back until last. This time, when everybody save Tony had left she did kiss him.

"You deserve it," she said. "Does Briony know?"

Tom nodded. Clearly Susie was not miffed about Margaret. "She's tickled pink."

"I'll bet. So will Rory be when I tell him."

She left them.

"Trish," called Tony.

She came in.

"Trish, before Tom moves into this office I want you to get in touch with the office manager and get all the furniture in here replaced. The office is to be spring cleaned including the carpet. Box up all Mr Wheeler's personal stuff and hang onto it until we know the outcome of this business. I'll warn the office manager that you'll be on to him."

"Yes, Mr Herbert."

Tony patted Tom on the shoulder. "Good luck!" he said. "I'll get out of your hair.

On his way back to his office Tom asked Trish to round up the section heads and ask them to come to his office.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.