David and Bathsheba
Chapter 13

Copyright© 2011 by Kaffir

The company dance was held at a large local hotel. There were tables of eight and a buffet supper and two bottles of wine per table. Tom and Briony put their heads together to decide who they would like on their table. Susie and Rory were naturals. Tom suggested Margaret Tennant and her partner and, because she did not belong to a section, Trish and her partner. Briony was happy to agree.

With it being an official function there was a top table for members of the board. Betty Nugent had clearly had a hand in the seating plan and Clive was on a far corner of the table with one of the least attractive wives next to him and the other diagonally opposite. Opposite him was Walter Silverman, someone he despised: another thing he had in common with Tom Clifford, he thought to himself as his mind flitted to Briony.

Clive had planned his campaign for the evening with Briony. He would have no more than three dances with her, two if she did not respond. The first would be a modern dance where they would have little or no opportunity to speak or touch other than hands. The second he would make sure was a ballroom dance during which he could hold her but he would not hold her any closer than convention allowed. He would talk to her though but nothing the least provocative or suggestive. That might come if there was a third dance but would be very restrained.

Tom and Briony were confident that Clive would not misbehave but nevertheless Briony made sure that she was not provocatively dressed. Her dress was long and dark green which made her beautiful eyes stand out. It had long sleeves and a high neck that did not hint at cleavage. She wore her pearl earrings and necklace, the latter with an extra turn round her neck so that it was almost a choker. She did not wear her charm bracelet. All the same, she looked stunning: her bright emerald eyes, her elfin face and her petite but curvaceous figure. Tom looked at her in wonder and love.

He took her hands in his before they left the house. "You are so lovely," he whispered.

She smiled up at him. "Thank you," she said just as softly. "You look pretty dishy yourself."

They both chuckled. He squeezed her hands gently and they went out to the car.

They arrived in good time and found that their table was still empty. Tom bought them both drinks. Rory and Susie were the first to arrive and there were hugs and kisses. Tom and Rory shook hands and smiled warmly at each other. Trish and her partner, Steve, were the next. They were greeted warmly. Susie took Trish under her wing and Briony took quickly to her not that they had anything in common but Trish was cheerful and vivacious and that was enough. Her affection for Steve was clear. He was a carpenter. He made a living with a building team but was trying to build up a furniture business. He was a Manchester United fan. Rory, it turned out, was a supporter of Arsenal so they were soon off into football which let Steve loosen up. Margaret arrived with a tall, quite distinguished looking man in his mid-forties called Philip. It turned out that he was an army officer and soon showed an infectious sense of humour. Everyone got on with everyone quickly.

After half an hour the buffet opened. The hotel staff skilfully steered people to it by table. During supper the disco started but few people danced.

Afterwards though Tom led Briony to the floor.

"Happy?" he asked.

"Mm. I like Margaret very much: warm, friendly but nobody's fool. She's very pretty too."

"You're right and she and Susie are great buddies."

"I'm not surprised."

Steve led Trish onto the floor. "I'm sorry," he said. "As you know, I wasn't too keen on this do but everyone's so friendly. I'm enjoying myself."

Trish smiled happily up at him. "When Tom asked me to join his table I knew we'd be in with a good crowd and isn't Briony beautiful?"

"Isn't she ever?"

"Watch it, boy."

"Well you asked and you're not so bad yourself."

Trish beamed.

Margaret and Philip sat that dance out.

"What a nice bunch of people," said Philip.

"Tom's my section head and we're all devoted to him. It's typical of him that he invited Trish and her boyfriend to join his table. She's the director's secretary and he knew that she might find it difficult to find a table so he invited her to join his."

"That's very thoughtful."

"Maybe but I think it's more instinctive. I told you about how he looked after Susie, didn't I?"

Philip nodded.

"She worships him. Just as well she was engaged to Rory or she might have tried to win him from Briony."

Philip smiled. "Not a hope," he said. "Look at them."

Margaret did. Tom and Briony were not wound round each other. They were just holding hands and looking at each other. It was clear that for the time being at any rate they were oblivious to anyone else. Margaret felt a lump in her throat.

The dancers returned to the table in due course. All the men danced with all the girls.

Tom and Susie's dance was a slow one. Susie got the giggles.

"Hold me close and wind Clive up," she said.

"You're wicked," responded Tom but did so. It was not as romantic as it might have looked because they were both shaking with laughter.

Philip and Briony's dance was hilarious. There was a good foot in height between them. He started with exaggeratedly bent knees but could not keep it up so Briony began to jump up and down. Then they synchronised it in time with the music so that he dipped as she jumped. It could not last long and they both returned to the table breathless with exertion and laughter.

"It's all your fault," exclaimed Briony to Margaret. "You never ought to have invited this giraffe."

"Giraffes have nice, gentle eyes."

"Hang on. I'm supposed to be a steely eyed soldier."

There was further laughter.

It was at that stage that Clive appeared and to the surprise of the other three company members invited Trish to dance.

"He's playing by the rule book," Briony whispered to Tom who nodded. "Bet I'm the last."

She was right. Clive played it immaculately, asking Tom's permission to dance with his wife. He was lucky too and it was a quick number so he and Briony jigged about without contact or talk until he took her hand to lead her back to the table and thank her for dancing with him. He then went off working the tables where other members of his directorate were sitting.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.