David and Bathsheba
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2011 by Kaffir

At university Tom had been a member of the shooting club specialising in pistol. He still had his .22 automatic. There was no time to obtain export or import permits but he determined nevertheless to take it with him. He placed it in the middle of his hold baggage and hoped it would not be found. If it was he would just have to surrender it. He also took some ammunition.

The eight hour flight was uneventful and straightforward. Tom and Susie chatted inconsequentially for a while and then watched films or read books they had brought with them. At least, flying south had no jet lag effects.

As they began to coast in towards landing, Tom turned to Susie. "We may have been rude about them not having XRD," he said, "but please don't do them down. No recriminations. That's not our job. We're just here to help. OK?"

"Yes, Tom." He was her boss and she felt bound to obey but she realised that what he had said was completely right. The Project Manager was bound to feel that he had missed a trick. That was not their business. It was his director's or the Board's. Their business was to help. Her respect for Tom, already considerable, went up another notch.

They were met at the airport by Bill Reynolds, a stocky ebullient man whom they both knew quite well and liked. He greeted them warmly.

"Good to see you, Tom," he said, "and refreshing to see you Susie. We're a bit short of feminine beauty."

She smiled. "Thank you, kind sir," she said.

"Any freight?" Bill asked.

"Yes," replied Tom. "A portable XRD."

Bill chuckled. "Glad it's portable. We haven't got a very big chopper to take us to the site."

It was almost inevitable that it took the best part of an hour to get the XRD through Customs. They took no notice of offers to speed the process.

It took the best part of another hour to fly to the site.

"Welcome to Portakabin City," said Bill. "We've put you in adjoining rooms with a shower room in between in a two room cabin. You've each got a hand basin but will have to share the shower cum loo. What I suggest is you have a quick freshen up and then I'll take you over to the mess hut and we'll have some supper. You've got an appointment with Tony at nine tomorrow morning but he'll probably be there to greet you when we go to eat. May I come and wait in your 'suite', Tom?"

"Of course," he replied. "Come and bang on my door when you're ready to go, Susie."

"OK." She did so five minutes later.

Bill looked at their footwear. "I hope you've brought some boots," he observed. "When it rains it becomes a mud bath and that's quite often."

They both assured him they had.

Tony Harrowfield was indeed in the mess hut and greeted them both warmly. He said nothing about why they had come out but enquired about their flight and asked about things at the office at home.

With full stomachs both Tom and Susie realised how weary they were and went back to their rooms.

"Breakfast at eight," said Bill, "and then I'll take you to see Tony. I'm your gopher while you're here."

"Have you got an alarm clock, Susie?" asked Tom.

"Yup."

"What if I use the shower at seven and then it'll be free for you?"

"OK. Thanks, Tom."

Tom saw her to her door. "Goodnight, Susie," he said. "Lock your door and sleep well."

She smiled at him. "My very thoughts," she said. "Goodnight, Tom."

They both went out like lights.

The following morning Tom knocked on Susie's door and, wearing boots, they both walked together over for breakfast. Bill met them.

"Sleep well?" he asked.

"Ish," said Tom.

"It's so stuffy inside that mosquito net," complained Susie.

"Ah, equatorial Africa," smiled Bill. "You'll soon get used to it."

"In three days?"

"Ah!"

Bill led them to Tony Harrowfield's office for the nine o'clock meeting. Andy Rivers, his Quality Control manager, was present. Tony came straight to the point.

"Thank you both for coming out here," he said. "I gather you've brought an XRD machine. I have to admit that neither Andy or I know anything about them but I gather it will analyse concrete."

"Yes," replied Tom. "In detail."

"Well then, if you're agreeable I'd like Susie to go off with Andy and teach his technicians how to use it."

Tom looked questioningly at Susie who nodded her agreement.

"Fine," he said.

The two of them went off.

Tony turned to Bill. "Bill," he asked, "would you mind leaving Tom and I alone for a few minutes?"

"Not at all," replied Bill rising and leaving the office.

"Tom, this has been a most embarrassing business which I have now got to put right and catch up the time we've lost."

Tom nodded but said nothing.

"What's your plan?"

"To teach your technicians how to use the XRD and then test all your crush samples right from the word go so that we can identify when the quality began to fall off."

"I don't know that we've kept the ones that passed the crush test."

"A pity but it doesn't really matter. We'll have to assume that it was OK up to then even though there might have been a small decrease in cement content. We can actually test concrete in situ but it's marginally less accurate. We'll then provide you with a report which you can confront your contractors with.

Tony nodded thoughtfully. "Would you be prepared to come with me on that?"

"No, Tony. This is your project. While we're here we'll make sure that Andy and his technicians can argue the case but I won't interfere beyond that."

"Who do you think I should approach?"

Tom did his best to conceal his incredulity at Tony's hesitance and lack of aggression in the face of a situation that could be the end of his career.

"The boss," he said, "and you should involve the government minister responsible as this is a government project."

"Shit!" exclaimed Tony.

"Well you've presumably met the minister."

"Yes, at the welcoming reception but that's all."

"You haven't reported to him regularly?"

"He didn't ask me to."

"I suggest you start now then. Tell him what you have achieved against the plan and mention that there is a concrete problem which you are investigating and saying that you will keep him informed of progress."

"Thanks, Tom. Good idea."

"If the contractor starts to wriggle then you can call in ministerial help and support." Tom paused and then grinned. "Mind you," he added, "if they're in cahoots you'd better hire an armed guard and notify the UN. They're helping fund it, aren't they?"

"Oh shit!" said Tony again. "I thought this was going to be a straightforward construction job not a political battle."

Tom smiled sympathetically. "I hope not," he said, "but either way you need to keep Head Office up to speed in case it does develop. In fact, I suggest that you keep them up to speed on every development so that if it does escalate they can step in at the higher level."

Tony nodded. It was clear to Tom that he had not thought through the implications and was probably out of his depth already.

"Who's your Contracts man?" he asked.

"Woman, Jenny Harbottle."

"Well, there are no flies on her and she's tough. On the other hand, you may find that there's a reluctance out here with a hefty Muslim population to take much notice of a woman."

"Oh shit!"

"I'm sorry, Tony. I'm being a gloom-monger. It may all turn out all right once you confront the contractor boss but it's better to be forewarned and forearmed."

Tony nodded sombrely. "Thanks, Tom," he said. "You've given me a lot to think about. Anyway," he added summoning up a smile, "you'd better go and keep tabs on your pretty, little Susie."

Tom grinned. "Her fiancé's a big guy too."

That got a genuine smile from Tony and Tom was pleased. He collected Bill on his way out and the latter led him to the laboratories where they found Susie, Andy and a couple of technicians. He checked that everything was under control and then asked Bill if he would take him on a conducted tour.

The tour was fascinating and Tom was impressed. Apart from the concrete problem everything seemed to be progressing well. The trouble was that unless they could get the girders in place things were going to grind to a halt.

They met up with Susie and Andy at lunchtime. Susie reckoned that the technicians, particularly with her keeping an eye on them, were ready to start the tests proper.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.