David and Bathsheba - Cover

David and Bathsheba

Copyright© 2011 by Kaffir

Chapter 3

The company won the contract and everyone was thrilled and delighted. There was another party but it was drinks only and Tom and Briony decided that only he should attend. Clive was miffed. He had hoped to work on Briony again. He said nothing though either to Tom or Angela who was required to accompany him.

The project management team deployed. For the first three months work was devoted to site clearance, access to and within it. Then construction started: foundations and piles. All went well until crush tests on the concrete for beams were carried out. They did not meet the specification. There was a flurry of e-mails and video conferences. Tony Herbert called a meeting with the Director of Projects, Walter Silverman, and Clive Wheeler.

"We've got a problem," he said unnecessarily. "Where does it lie? In the design or in the production?"

"I find it difficult to believe that it lies in the design," said Clive. "The mix for the piles was the same as for the beams and the piles were all OK."

"Perhaps there should have been a different mix for the beams," suggested Walter.

"No! Yes there are sheer stresses in beams but it's largely bending moment. I grant you that crush tests would show an inability to contain bending stresses but if the piles were good the beams should also be."

"I imagine you've discussed this with Tom Clifford," said Tony.

"Of course and he agrees with me."

"Wrong!" thought Tony. "You agree with him."

"I think we ought to get him up here," he said. "After all, he was the chief designer for all the concrete part of the plan."

"Fine," said Clive confident that Tom would support all he had said. After all, Tom had briefed him.

Tom was sent for and arrived within minutes.

"Tom," said Tony, "you are aware of the problem we're having. Have you any doubts about the concrete in the design of your beams?"

"None, sir."

"So why are the samples failing the crush test?"

"Why didn't the foundations and piles fail the crush test?"

"Different mix?"

"No, sir."

"So?"

"The cement quantities are probably too lean."

"Why?"

"The contractors are siphoning off cement."

"That's quite an accusation."

"No, sir. Cement is a very valuable commodity in that part of the world."

"Are you casting doubts on the integrity of my project management team?" demanded Walter.

"No," said Tom, "but I am suggesting that their quality control may be amiss."

"Explain yourself."

"Cement in an impoverished country is very valuable. Your guys are importing ready mixed concrete from an indigenous firm. That was part of the contract. I'd be prepared to bet that analysis of that concrete would show a low cement content."

"You're still implying that my team is not up to the mark."

Tom looked him straight in the eye. Walter had the grace to look down.

"How do you suggest we go about testing it, Tom?" asked Tony.

"Well I'd have thought that they would have an XRD system with them, bench top or portable. It would also indicate any impurities but I still think that low cement content is the probable culprit."

"XRD?"

"X-Ray Diffraction, sir."

"Right! Well you'd better wind them up pronto, Walter."

"Yes indeed. Thank you, Tom."

Tom smiled back. "Do you need me any more, sir?"

"No thanks, Tom, and thank you for your help."

Tom went back to his own office. "I don't know how they managed to become directors," he grumbled to Susie Longfellow, one of his section and also his unofficial assistant. She shared his office.

She smiled. "Now what?" she asked.

"They didn't know what XRD is or at any rate the Chief didn't."

"You mustn't be too hard on him, Tom. He's a businessman not an engineer."

"Hmph!"

"You're just an old grump."

Tom grinned. "Yes, ageing before my time. All the weight of responsibility I have to carry on my young shoulders."

Susie snorted. "Poor Briony!"

They both laughed.

A few minutes later Clive stuck his head round the door. "Thanks, Tom," he said.

"No problem," replied Tom cheerfully.

"Brownie Points," teased Susie.

Tom made a rude noise.

The next day Clive came into the office again. "Would you believe it?" he said. "They haven't got an XRD system with them."

"Strewth!" exclaimed Tom. "What the hell's going on out there? That's an essential bit of kit for quality control."

"It gets worse. No one out there knows how to use one."

"What? I don't believe it. You know, don't you, Susie?"

"Yes. I learnt about it at uni and I've used one on projects."

"I'd like you to take one out to them, Tom, and teach someone how to use it."

"I really can't believe that's necessary, Clive. They're not difficult and if they read the manual it's a doddle."

"The way things are going at the moment, Tom, one wonders if they can even read."

Tom chuckled. "OK, boss, you win. I could fly out and back inside a week."

"There's no need to rush. Why not take a fortnight and make it a bit of a holiday? Take Susie with you as assistant to help rub their noses in it. In any case, if your suspicions prove correct you'll need to follow them up with the contractor."

"Oh no!" said Tom forcefully. "That's the Project Manager's job and good luck to him."

"OK, I take your point."

"I'd still like to do it within a week. I'm not a tropical animal."

"All right but take Susie with you anyway in case you get eaten by a crocodile. All right, Susie?"

"You bet," she replied excitedly.

"How soon can you be ready to go?"

"Depends whether we've got the kit here or whether we're going to have to procure one."

"OK, let Trish know and she'll book your tickets for you."

"Thanks."

"Whee!" exclaimed Susie when Clive had left. "Actually on site again for a short while. You sure you don't mind me coming, Tom?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.