David and Bathsheba - Cover

David and Bathsheba

Copyright© 2011 by Kaffir

Chapter 2

The day of the party arrived. Briony turned up on time and was met at reception by Tom as arranged. She was wearing a 'little green dress', dark green which enhanced her eyes. It stopped just above the knee and her forearms were bare. It showed off her pretty figure. She had pearl earrings and a pearl necklace. On her right wrist was a gold charm bracelet. Tom thought she looked stunning and told her so. She smiled her thanks happily to him. She linked her arm through his and he led her to the canteen.

Clive and Angela Wheeler were standing just inside the door to greet people. Clive's eyes lit up with interest when he saw Briony.

"Darling, this is Tom Clifford, one of our section leaders, and his wife. I'm sorry. I don't know your name."

"Briony," she smiled at him. It was a friendly, open smile and he was even more intrigued.

Angela smiled at both of them. "Clive's talked about you a lot," she said to Tom. "Is it your first time here?" to Briony.

"Yes," she replied. "I'd no idea it was such a huge place."

"Pretty huge company," chipped in Clive. "We'll catch up with you later."

He turned to meet the next arrivals.

Tom and Briony moved on to be met by a waitress with drinks. Both took a soft one. Tom led Briony on and introduced her to some of his section and their partners. Conversation was easy and Briony was pleased to be able to put faces to names.

Behind the greetings Clive's mind was working fast. There was no seating plan for tables of eight. No doubt the Chairman and Chief Executive would expect to sit at his table. He would have to persuade them that it would be better if they mixed with the plebs. He wanted Briony on his table but if he invited her and Tom to join the 'nobs' that might start tongues wagging.

The Chairman arrived. "Delighted you're able to join us, Sir Nigel," said Clive. He kissed Lady Nugent's hand. "And lovely to see you, Lady Nugent."

She smiled indulgently. "Ever the lady's man," she thought and then turned a full smile on Angela. "Hello, my dear. I haven't seen you for ages."

"We haven't got a seating plan, Sir Nigel. You can either sit with us or you might like to mingle with the boys and girls. It's entirely up to you."

"I think mingling sounds rather fun."

"Great! I was hoping you'd say that, sir. I'm sure it will be appreciated."

Sir Nigel smiled. He was a gregarious soul and had no qualms about gathering a table. "I'd better go and gather a flock then." He took his wife's arm. "Come on, my dear. We've got to go and persuade people to come and sit at our table."

Clive was now unconcerned. If Tony Herbert declined to find his own table Clive still had four spaces at his table and there would be no cause for remarks about favouritism or the like. He need not have worried. Tony was happy to take pot luck. Clive steered Angela towards Tom and Briony's group. Fortunately it was only six strong so Clive did not have to pick and choose.

At seven everyone was asked to sit down. Clive made certain that Briony was on his right and indicated to Angela that she should sit opposite him.

"Well," she said with a smile to Tom, "as my husband's pinched your wife I'd better pinch you."

Tom found her a delightful dinner partner. She chatted easily and drew him out quickly. She found him pleasant company too and they both rather disregarded their neighbours as their conversation ranged widely. Tom discovered that her father was the senior partner of a firm of solicitors and that he and her mother were old friends of the Nugents. She and Clive had met at a party thrown by them.

On Clive's left was a not unattractive woman but after a few banalities with her he turned his full attention to Briony.

"You've got a lot of charms on your bracelet," he said with a smile.

"Yes," said Briony holding it up and shaking them. "My parents gave it to me with a cross on it at my confirmation when I was sixteen. They've added to it every anniversary and then when they were stuck for a birthday present as well." She smiled happily. "They were stuck quite often so I've got quite a lot of charms now and then Tom gave me one when we got engaged and another when we married, as well as rings. So yes, I've really collected quite a bundle."

"May I see?"

Briony held her hand over. He was careful not to take it but looked at a number of the charms, taking them in his fingers.

"They're beautiful."

"That bell you're looking at is a mini-replica of Big Ben. You can't see without a magnifying glass but it even has the inscription on it."

"Golly!"

"There are one or two others which are microscopic reproductions. I shudder to think what they cost apart from the cost of the gold itself."

"I hope you've got it insured."

"Yes but I doubt for it's full worth. We'd have bought it again in ten years."

"But it'll go on appreciating in value."

Briony nodded. "I'll have to put it in a bank vault and visit it once a year," she said mournfully and then laughed happily. "Fat chance! The love I'm wearing is more than it's worth."

Clive smiled back but Briony noticed that there was no real warmth in his eyes despite an intensity.

"So how long have you been married?" he asked.

"Eighteen months and two days."

Clive chuckled. "And I'll bet you never let Tom miss an anniversary."

Briony thought that a pretty crass remark. "He's only had one to remember so far," she said, "and he certainly didn't forget that."

"Of course not. Silly thing to say."

Briony smiled at him but it lacked her previous warmth.

"You're working, I imagine."

"Yes."

"May I ask what?"

"Yes, of course. I write computer programs for..." She named the company she worked for.

Clive was impressed.

"That is a major, major company."

Briony nodded.

"Been there long?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.