Masi'shen Stranded - Cover

Masi'shen Stranded

Copyright© 2011 by Graybyrd

Chapter 35

Backlash

Jon'na-ren, Mike asked, what did we just see?

See? Of what do you speak, Michael-ours?

When the bombs from the warplanes were falling. There was a glowing dome of something ... energy, or a shield ... that rose up from your ship. But the bombs kept falling. They fell through the shield. We saw no effect until the rays struck them, and caused them to burn?

Oh, I understand. Because you saw no effect, you assume the shield failed in its purpose? Not so, Michael-ours. The effect was quite satisfactory. As the exploder weapons passed through the energy layer, the internal control devices, those that would cause the bombs to explode, were neutralized. I have heard you describe the effect as 'fried the circuits.' We ensured that they would not explode.

Then, the purpose of those plasma rays that followed, the beams that struck the falling bombs?

Disposal, Michael-ours. 'Taking out the garbage, ' you humans might say!

Mike stared at Jon'na-ren for the longest moment, then nearly fell to the deck in laughter. Steve spun away from Marie to look down at his friend, puzzled by his behavior. Jon'na-ren stood quietly with his wife and daughter, a faint smile showing as he regarded his human friend.

"He ... h-he said ... t-ta-taking out the garbage!" Mike choked out. He struggled up to his feet, clasping his sides and trying very hard to control himself, to regain his breath. He saw the concerned looks from Steve and Marie. "He told me, that the energy shield which rose up to meet the bombs, it was to defuse them. It fried their control and detonation circuits. It made them little more than falling junk."

Mike continued to gasp for breath. He glanced over at Jon'na-ren, looking altogether too human with his wry expression, watching the antics of his human friend. "I asked him, then what was the purpose of the plasma beams, the beams that ignited the bombs and started them burning as they fell. He ... he said ... oh, damn!"

Mike started laughing again and for fully another long minute he was unable to control himself. Dee'rah moved over to him, placed her small hands on his shoulders, and looked into his face. Oh, thank you, Dee'rah-love. Yes, humans are very emotional and sometimes our humor overwhelms us.

He calmed himself. "Steve, Marie ... it seems that our friend Jon'na-ren has developed a wonderful sense of humor. He explained to me that they ignited the falling bombs, not because they were afraid they would cause damage to their ship. It was simply the quickest way to dispose of the garbage!"


Michael-mine, father tells me that time is very short. We must lift the ship. If we remain where it now rests, he fears that your President might attempt yet another aggression. He fears that your leader may order missiles with nuclear devices against us.

NO! Dee-rah. I cannot imagine! Could he be that insane? He shook himself, and reconsidered. Yes, of course, he could be that insane! Mike reproached himself. He should have considered that possibility earlier.

"Steve! Jon'na-ren fears that the President might order a missile strike, with nuclear warheads! Against the ship, the island. Is that possible?"

Steve stared at Mike, and he considered the question. His mind raced with the sequence of orders, the chain of command, of what he knew would be required to set a missile strike in motion.

"Yes, it is possible. He has the football with the launch codes, the executive authority, and he is the Commander in Chief. He can declare a national emergency, order re-targeting of a missile flight, and order its launch. No sane man would do it, but we're not dealing with a rational man. Mike, I think we'd better warn Jon'na-ren that his fears have a basis in fact!"

Mike explained the security mechanism to Jon'na-ren, who nodded his head in understanding. Dee-rah hovered nearby, shaken and upset.

We feared such an irrational response might be possible, Michael-friend. We do not fear for ourselves. As you see, against your planet's primitive technology we have adequate capabilities. Our concern, however, is for the unspeakably filthy material in the nuclear warheads your missile devices carry.

Consider that if we neutralized the aerial vehicle controls and it crashed here, the scattering of radioactive materials would cause great harm to the purity of the life-system. Even more harm would result if we ignited the vehicle and its radioactive matter. The scattering would be much greater, and more difficult to remove.

We of the Mas'shi-dul, the ship's council, have ruled that our only acceptable response is to place our ship where we will not be a target. We can evade your planet's warcraft or rocket vehicles. There is no weapon in your technology that we fear, but we do worry what effect their destruction could have upon the innocent inhabitants of your planet. The scattering of the contaminants, the toxic matter, would be serious and long-lasting. We have decided, Michael-ours, that the best defense against harm to your people is if we do not remain as a target.

Michael looked into Jon'na-ren's face for a very long moment. He glanced over to see Dee'rah standing by herself, her face downcast, looking completely miserable.

I understand, Jon'na-ren. I grieve that we are probably correct in our assessment of our leader's actions, and his disregard for the weapons' effect on our environment and our people. Can you tell me ... how soon will you leave, and where will you go?

Very soon, before this day is over, Michael-ours. And not far. We will lift into orbit around the planet and await the arrival of the ships from home. We cannot travel alone, without the vital missing parts of our ship. Our escorts will sustain us during the voyage home. Until then, we will be visible in planetary orbit, but out of reach of your planet's weapons.

Dee'rah, Michael cried to her. You are leaving...

He felt a sobbing cry in his mind. Then she was gone.


The American ambassador to Great Britain sat rigidly on the edge of his chair, his hands clasped tightly, his feet solidly together, and he looked very much like a schoolboy who had been called before the principal. He expected something far worse than a scolding and demerits. He had every reason to expect expulsion.

The Queen regarded him with great sadness. Her Prime Minister sat separately, visibly shaken by the events of the day.

"Ambassador Adams, please understand that neither I, our government, or the people of Great Britain hold the slightest ill-will towards you personally, or towards the American people. We have a long history of cooperation and friendship, and we regard you as our greatest and most valuable ally, you magnificent friends who assisted us in the moment of our greatest national peril. But please note, Ambassador Adams, that I omitted mention of your government when I said we hold no ill-will.

"I have long studied the abysmal process that you Americans call your government! I could speak for hours regarding its obvious faults, follies, excesses, and corruptions. I regard with dismay the fact that your Congress has totally and irresponsibly abrogated its duties by allowing the American President to engage in the most irresponsible and reckless military adventures. He is permitted to do so whenever and wherever he finds it politically expedient, with little regard for its cost in lives and treasure.

"I find it even more distressing that your government is hardly more than a collection of sycophants and servants for the oligarchs of America who own and control the multi-national corporations. They are no longer the benefactors of humanity; they seek to become our masters! Shall I expound further upon these points, Ambassador Adams?"

Adams squirmed in his seat, flushed with embarrassment. "No, your Majesty. You have made yourself quite clear."

"Not entirely, Ambassador Adams. I have barely touched upon the subject. But I find this meeting to be unpleasant in the extreme, so I shall not prolong the misery of the moment. Please hear me on this. And understand that I have instructed Prime Minister Smythe-Braddock here,"—she motioned off-handedly to the PM who sat leaning back in his chair, a resigned expression plain on his face—"he has prepared a formal statement of several pages length which you will be given when you leave the palace. I trust you will see that it is delivered to your government forthwith.

"But I wish to tell you, briefly, the summary content of the communique. What the military forces of the United States attempted in Antarctica under the express orders of the American President and his military council is absolutely unacceptable. We will not countenance such reckless disregard for all ... for every ... Sir! Words fail me. There are no words for such a heinous assault. It is a betrayal of everything that humanity holds sacred and dear. Sir, your government has betrayed our trust, it has assaulted our sense of decency, and it has tainted us all by reason of our very association with you!

"To that end, we foreswear all association with the American government until such time as it recants its actions, replaces and punishes the guilty members, including your President, and takes such measures as are necessary to assure us that such a betrayal will not and can not happen again.

"Everyone in the service of the American government is on notice: you have 48 hours to leave British soil. This order also extends to every American corporate enterprise. All of them. I have ordered our government to enumerate those to whom this order applies. They are ordered to leave Britain within 48 hours of receipt of notice.

"In short, Mr. Ambassador, we are sending all of you home to consider your bad behaviour. We're closing the door on you. If you find our attitude to be unreasonable, or extreme, I suggest that you take it up with your President and your Congress.

I am further putting the American government on notice that if this situation is not soon corrected, very soon corrected, we will suspend all treaty and trade relations with your nation. We will suffer whatever economic consequences this may cost us, but your government, sir! It will be regarded as a pariah among nations.

"I wish to add my personal observation, Ambassador Adams. This obscene act of your military in Antarctica was, for me, the last straw. This time, sir—this time—your government took a huge leap off a cliff.


Ambassador Adams was barely able to get away from the Palace under heavy guard, and into his armored limousine. Crowds of angry British citizens had taken to the streets by the thousands, protesting their disgust and revulsion with the American attack. Signs, banners, placards, and angry, shouting faces were visible all around his procession. Eggs and rotten fruit pelted his vehicle. Several people tried to climb onto his limousine, but were pulled back by their companions. British police stood on the street corners, observing, but not interfering as long as the protesters remained non-violent.

The Queen's reaction was more extreme than that of other world leaders, but only by a small measure. American embassies were ordered closed in every principal nation save one: Saudi Arabia. The ruling family feared the loss of American military support to control its own seething, discontented population and its greedy, avaricious neighbors.

Adams and his staff deplaned their 747 flight at Dulles International late in the evening. If anything, the mobs of protesters choking the streets outside Dulles were worse than those that harassed them along the London streets. When they neared the White House to report to the President, Adams was alarmed to see ranks of armored police and riot squads engaging with the protesters, hosing them down with pepper spray spewed from backpack tanks, and moving in to club them. Dozens of buses were being loaded with the choking, bleeding people. When a bus was loaded and moved away, another bus drove in to take its place.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.