University - Cover

University

Copyright© 2011 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 91

"Did they hire you?" I asked Rachel when she got home.

"Yes, but it's as an oriental sex slave. Should I accept?"

"Well, I'm not certain. I know that you've experience in the role. But I've no grounds for comparison..."

She threw her purse at me. Luckily it didn't burst open. We were both laughing.

"Well, your anglo houseboy did the shopping and we can either dine in or go out, as madame wishes."

"Let me get out of these clothes and we can make a decision."

We helped each other and it was late in the afternoon before we were ready, so we went out.

Towards noon the next day Craig phoned.

"I left you in peace for over a month."

"And I thank you for that."

"I think that I've done the best I can. If you say 'OK', I can extend a provisional offer."

"Provisional?"

"Yes. I am empowered to offer you a post as a temporary legal advisor within the Ministry for a period of six months, from Monday, 1 December, at a salary of $37,500. That's half of $75.000. This is providing you satisfactorily complete qualifications for the bar prior to that date." His tone was quite formal.

"I understand."

"If this is satisfactory, I can have an offer letter sent prior to the weekend."

"Thank you. I have only one question, if I may."

"Certainly."

"Is the appointment renewable; or will I be searching for a post next May?"

"The answer is quite complex, I'm afraid. If your performance is satisfactory, the appointment might be renewed for another six month. It might be renewed for a year. Or it might be – uh – converted to a permanent post. However, all of this is subject to available funding."

"Of course. Understanding all that, I accept the provisional offer and look forward to receipt of the offer letter."

"Excellent. It will be in duplicate. Please sign and return the original."

"With pleasure."

Craig got off. I wondered who had been in his office or listening in. But this was wonderful. It was more money than it might have been, even though it was only three-quarters of what I might have been offered. And I was fairly sure I'd be re-appointed or extended or whatever.

I phoned my dad. He was both congratulatory and supportive. He also asked when we'd be seeing "us" again. I said "pretty soon, but this course will eat up my time."

"Really?"

"8:30 to 18:30 every day plus prep in the evenings."

"Truly trial by ordeal."

"And they charge $3800 for the privilege."

"Better you than me."

"I'm done on Saturday, September 19th. Then we've a few days and Rachel's graduation is on the 24th. Mine won't be till the end of October."

Dad laughed. "I'll try to recognize you in a wig."

"It's horsehair; but I'll spare you what part of the horse I resemble in it."

For several weeks we were both very busy: Rachel with the catalogue and I with my course.

I presented applications before the court for each of the practical sessions; performed an opening address, examination in chief of a witness, and cross examination of an expert witness in the advocacy sessions; conducted a series of discrete mini hearings; conducted conferences with witnesses for the purposes of the final trial; prepared an advice in a matter set for trial; and prepared and presented a case for hearing at the final trial.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.