University
Chapter 80

Copyright© 2011 by Peter H. Salus

"OK," said Rachel. "I understand that what you're planning entails a big risk. I think I get it all. But could you just lay it out for me?"

It was the beginning of October. We were both back in the classroom: I was attending one course and working at the journal, Rachel was at the Gallery and in two courses: Op Art and Pop Art, which she referred to as "optical illusions" and "cartoons." I was getting ready for the "information session" of the College of Law on Monday the 13th.

"Well, to begin with, getting a degree in law doesn't make you a lawyer. It is just one step to becoming one. You have to pass the Multistate Profession Responsibility Exam. Then you have to pass a state administered bar exam. After that, you have to be certified by the state bar association that you are of good moral character and fitness to practice law. Then you have to apply to be a lawyer and pay all of the required fees. At that point, you are a lawyer. But what Craig suggested is that I just go an entirely different route.

"The NSW Aborigines Act provides that the Councils can provide legal services. He thinks that we can get two of the Local Councils to certify me to offer those services. I would then appear as a representative in court. That appearance would either be OK or it would be challenged. Craig thinks the Bar Association of New South will challenge and that a court will have to decide."

"So you're the tool for breaking the monopoly of the professional union."

"Exactly. But the danger is that the court might hold against me and the Councils and that the Bar Association rules that my action shows me to be inappropriate to ever become a lawyer."

"Oh. Right. But you mentioned yet another route, didn't you?"

"Yes. The week after we returned from Melbourne I read through all the materials from Western Australia. I think I could qualify there and then apply that my license be accepted here. But it might make things tough for you."

"You mean moving back to Perth?"

"And disrupting your studies."

"Might not be that bad. ECU offers a Ph.D. In Art. And I think Western does, too. And both of them do offer Masters. In fact, Western offers a Masters in Curatorial Studies. It would add variety. It would be another fall-back."

"You're the best wife!"

"Yes, I know. I'm also your only one."


The "information session" wasn't very informative. There was nothing that wasn't in the pamphlet or on the Web site. There were about a hundred people my age there – so that must be the sum of locals hoping to graduate in a few months plus the hopeful and the relocators.

I phoned Craig to make an appointment, but it turned out that he was away. I really wanted to talk to someone. After a few minutes, I called Henry.

"Aloha."

"Aloha, Henry. This is Patrick."

"Ah, the voyaging brother."

I laughed. "Is that what Sarah calls me?"

"Yes. She complained that she'd hardly seen you in two months."

"It's true. But she and Rachel and I are all on different academic schedules."

"True. Nor have we had lunch."

"That's why I'm calling. Might you have time in the next few days to give me an hour or so?"

"Including lunch or plus lunch?" I could hear Henry laugh over the phone.

"Whatever you want. Where are you these days?"

"I've been at the State Library on Macquarie Street. In the Mitchell Reading Room, to be exact. Right now I'm reading about Saipan. I'm filling in background on those boxes."

"How about Noble House on Bent St.? It gets crowded for lunch, so let's try for around 11:45."

"That's OK. I'll find it. Which day?"

"Tomorrow or Thursday?"

"Thursday, then."

"Thanks."

I needed to talk to Rachel later. We haven't seen Al, nor my parents in over a month. If Sarah complained to Henry, the others were irked, too. We should be more, not less social.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.