University
Chapter 39

Copyright© 2011 by Peter H. Salus

"Barristers must be lunatics!" I said. We were a week or so into the term.

"Why?"

"I'm reading old case histories. It's hard to imagine that I'll care about any of them once I pass the bar exams."

"Trial by ordeal."

"What?"

"You're going to be joining a club. Instead of a simple test or a hazing or something, the insiders make you undergo an ordeal. Several years long. If you give up, you're out; if you can't do it, you're out. Anyway, it's most likely better than having two teeth knocked out."

"You're becoming an anthropological semiotician,"

"Oh, right. But it's true, isn't it?"

"I guess so."

"By the way, have you ever seen the 2012 statistics?"

"What?"

"In archaeology the other day, Professor Hiscock mentioned gleaning information from other sources: letters home, journals, hand-drawn sketches, even third-hand reports. So I took a look at the various statistical reports. These," she hefted a wad of paper, "are the most recent population stats."

"No. I've never looked at them. Are they interesting?"

"They're horrible. The Europeans have been here – we've been here – for over two centuries. Within the first year we'd begun killing aborigines by disease. We introduced alcohol and tobacco. We imported rabbits and cattle and insects and toads. We brought all sorts of evils and the result is the native peoples have poorer education and shorter life spans! Horrible!"

In 2005-2007, life expectancy at birth for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander males was 67.2 years, 11.5 years less than that for non-Indigenous males (78.7 years). For Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander females, life expectancy at birth was 9.7 years less than for non-Indigenous females (72.9 years and 82.6 years respectively). The lower life expectancy for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians can be attributed to a higher infant mortality rate, and a higher incidence of diseases such as diabetes mellitus, respiratory disorders, ear disease, eye disorders and some cancers, among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. [<http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/by+Subject/4125.0~Jan+2012~Main+Features~Life+expectancy~3110>]

"Right. Did you read Flood's book?"

"Aborigines? About half of it. I got depressed."

"Yes. That's why I'm plugging at the law degree. I've wanted to do something since I was quite small. I think the legal front is to way to help Jacky and Jimmie and their groups."

"You should think of politics, Patrick."

"Seriously?"

"Yes. I looked at the qualifications for Council the other day. We both qualify: we're over 18, citizens and have lived here for over a year."

"You run, then."

"No, I'm not the type. I'd never successfully stand at a lectern or on a soapbox and speak to a group. You could do that."

"Maybe in '16."

"Why '16?"

"Think about it ... If I'm lucky, I'll be qualified and have passed the bar exams by the 2016 elections. If we don't move house too much, I should have the residence requirement. But it might be interesting: I'll be 24. But let's shove that aside for a few years. We can't help the original Australians with a gun or a spear. The contemporary warrior wears a Rolex and carries an attache case. A few writs are more frightening than bone-pointing."

"Okay. Are you hungry? I am. Let's go have something silly: steak or pizza. No sushi nor salad!"

"I laughed. Okay, dear. Amazon Steak House on King?"

"I'll be voracious by the time we walk there!"


We were nearly home when my cell rang. "Chambers of Patrick Hollister are not open at this time. Please call again in 2016." Rachel gave me a very strange look.

"This is Gordy, Pat," came a voice.

"I think I know who you are. You're on a small station in Queensland, eh?"

"You betchum. You folks up for a trip right after Easter?"

"To Mitchell?"

"Actually, Tibooburra. We've decided to be spliced. Jimmy's driving down from wherever his band is. My mum and dad will be there, too."

"We'll be there. Just email me the details."

"As soon as we're off the hooter. But there's more."

"Oh?"

"We really want you both to stand up for us. Best man and matron."

"Oh, my. I'm honored. We're honored. Kiss your bride for me?"

"Right. Email in a bit. See you in a few weeks."

Rachel was tugging on my arm. "Well?..."

"Gordy. He and Gerry are getting married. They want you to be matron of honor and me to be best man. He's emailing the details, but it'll be in early April. Right after Easter. In Tibooburra. I'm certain that's the nearest airfield to Cameron Corner, where Gerry's mum and dad live."

"Where?"

"Tibooburra. Certainly well over a thousand klicks from here."

Jack Cameron the NSW lands department surveyor led the 1st survey party along the NSW-QLD border between 1879-1881.The survey commenced on Sept. 2nd 1879 from the border town of Barringun, west to the intersection of the SA border, a project completed 12 months later. On arriving at the corner in September 1880 Cameron erected a wooden boundary post with inscription "Lat29" (latitude 29 degrees) and "Cameron." The original post is displayed at the National Parks and Wildlife service office in Tibooburra. The dog fence stretches approx. 5500km. It was built to separate dingoes in central Australia from livestock in the SE Australia. From the Great Australia Bight to South East Queensland it winds its way through five deserts. Cameron Corner is roughly half way along the 584km section of the fence and midway along the entire structure. Today 15 staff are employed by the W.D.D.B (Wild Dog Destruction Board) to maintain the NSW section of the fence.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.