University
Chapter 34

Copyright© 2011 by Peter H. Salus

We flew back to Sydney on the 29th, as scheduled. I'd managed to take Sue to lunch the day after Boxing Day. ("To repay you for the letter to the Acting Dean," I'd said. "Very appropriate and proper. Aren't you going to ask about your sister?" "No, ma'am. A lawyer must be discreet." "Excellent! My compliments.")

We had only a little more baggage than we had when we'd flown west: a few books and the clothes that Rachel had purchased. The bulk of our gifts were slips of pasteboard, representing nine days in Melbourne next November. I'd begun reading Das Rheingold on the airplane. Rachel read Chandler's Semiotics: The Basics.

There was a mound of mail awaiting us, but nothing for me from the Law School. Of course, it wasn't the New Year yet. We put our stuff away, opened all the windows to air things out, and went to buy food supplies. When we returned, I let Rachel stow things and I sat down with the mail.

I did a quick sort into trash and "open," then resorted the "open" into "P" and "R" (anything addressed to both of us went to "R"). As planned, I had the charge card bill and a receipt from the Four Seasons, together with a number of glossy photos of plastic food and airbrushed music combos.

I gestured at the heap when Rachel came with beverages. "Your part."

"The top one's addressed to both of us."

"Ah ... well, you're the social secretary."

"Ri-i-i-ght." She opened the top one. "It's an RSVP! Joshua and Judith will be joining us."

"At least we won't be solitary."

"I'm getting some paper; we need to keep track."

So we went through the stack: only one "apology" and a note from Winnie that she might bring a "companion." We listed that as a couple.

"That's over two dozen," Rachel said. "And it's still seven weeks away."

"Right. On another topic, is there anything special you'd like to do during those weeks?"

"That depends. I don't want to go out on New Year's. We can watch the fireworks on television. Perhaps we can get a bottle of bubbly."

"And... ?"

"Well, on either the Thursday or the Friday I'll try to phone Winnie and find out when she wants me at the Gallery. Then we'll be able to plan."

"Right. I expect I'll get something by the Tuesday. The eighth, right?"

"Fine. Let's plan to buy wine and nibbles on Monday."

I grabbed her hand and kissed it across the table. "That's enough work!"


On Monday, we went fizz hunting. Well, it's not technically champagne, if it doesn't come from the right part of France. But I wanted to try several types, so I'd know what we'd be ordering for February. We ended up with one each of Chandon Vintage Brut, Chandon Brut Rose and Kreglinger. Around $50 per bottle! And a lot of snack food.

After early dinner we watched the festivities.

At 1930 the Aboriginal ceremony begins with traditional eucalyptus smoke cleansing the past and readying all to embrace the New Year ahead, and concludes with pyrotechnic smoke effects. An hour later came the "Acknowledgment of Country ceremony" supposed to show respect for Aboriginal culture and heritage. "Lip service!" I muttered. At 2100 came the "Family Fireworks," so that small children could see them. Then, till midnight, there were "Color Moments" every quarter hour. We took the opportunity to clear the dishes and set out the rose. We opened it a bit before 2300.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.