University - Cover

University

Copyright© 2011 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 27

It was still before 09:00 and Rachel would be barely functional. I was quite excited and stopped and bought some muffins on my walk home. When I got there, coffee was ready and Rachel was wearing one of the brief Japanese robes, looking adorable. I told her so as I put the muffins on a plate and set out butter, preserves, knives and plates.

"Flattery, trying to ply me with idle chatter. I know what you're up to with your filthy ways. So, what happened?"

"Filthy ways? A fine way to talk! Just wait till I get you in the shower."

"Promises, promises..."

So I told her everything.

"When will you go register?"

"This afternoon. But we need to talk about those letters."

"How about the bloke in Modern Europe?"

"Yes. I'd thought of him. The one in Australian Politics really didn't like my paper."

Rachel laughed. "The stuff about Rudd vs. the politicoes didn't appeal?"

"I got high distinction anyhow. But what about a non-academic?"

"My dad or Sue Carr."

"Really?

"They've both known you for a long time. And Sue was going to write to the former dean on your behalf anyway."

"Wouldn't your dad be a bit weird?"

"Why? He's known you all your life. He's not a relative. He won't even be an in-law until after Christmas. And he hasn't worked for your dad in a decade."

"All true. You're much cleverer than I."

"True. Now, about that shower..."


I called the number on Sue's card. She answered right away.

"Hello, this is Patrick Hollister..."

"Hi," she interrupted. "Will this take long?"

"I hope not. The dean of law you met has gone to another post. However, I've spoken to the acting dean. He didn't reject me out of hand, but he wants two letters, one from a professor and one from an adult non-relative. So I thought of you. You've known me nearly all of my life and I've appeared on the telly with you twice – though not recently." I paused, taking a deep breath.

"Aha! I get it. Yes, I'll write you a letter. Send me e-mail with the details and the address it should go to. My e-mail address is on the card I gave you."

"I see it."

"Okay. Sorry, I've got to run. Send me the info. Bye." And she was gone.

Rachel remarked: "That seemed easy."

"I hope so. Do I have time to send her e-mail before we get lunch?"

"Of course."

I sat and keyed in Sue's address. I thought for a while. Then I wrote pretty much what I'd told Acting Dean Tolhurst:

I want to become a lawyer with the goal of aiding the remnants of the original Australians. I'm currently in the midst of my first year in the uni's five-year program in history and law. I find my courses somewhat boring and the program pointless, though I've received 'high distinction' in all three courses. I've read the Law School's calendar online and read the material from the Law Society. I note that students might be admitted under 'special' circumstances. The University calls it a "flexible entry pathway." The School of Law provides for 'Special admission entry to applicants who want to explain a record of exclusion or failure'. I want to apply as a special admission entry with two years of undergraduate study as my exclusion.

I know that the School intended "exclusion" to mean individuals who had been excluded for completing requirements. But that's not what it says. So I've asked the Acting Dean. I thought that you might be an appropriate non-academic to write on my behalf. I've achieved outstanding grades in my first three courses. Your letter should be addressed to...

I copied Rachel and myself.

"That should do it! Where should we go for lunch? After that I'm off to register."

"And to the History Department," added Rachel.

"Right. Where to?"

"Pizza."


I had not difficulty enrolling in History 2615 and Government 2442. When I enquired about Koori Centre 2602 ('Issues in Indigenous Rights') the women didn't know what to do.

"Have you had 2600?" one asked.

"No, is it available?"

"Yes. It is."

"Okay. That's 'Indigenous Australia: An Introduction'?"

"Yes."

"And I'll be able to get 2602 when I'm pitched from 2600?"

"What do you mean?"

"I think the instructor in 2600 will say the introductory course is inappropriate for me."

"Don't try funning us, young man!"

"Go on, register me for KOCR2600."

"Take this to the wicket and pay the fees."

"Yes, ma'am. And thank you."

"That was mean," Rachel said.

"I know. I hate most academic administrators. They should just let students do what they want. They could let us learn by failing, rather that telling us what to do. Aristotle says that you learn how to do things by doing them. You learn to play the flute by playing the flute. I'd say you learn how to ride a bike by falling off a bike."

Rachel laughed. "Okay. Now for your history prof."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.