University - Cover

University

Copyright© 2011 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 25

Rachel returned with Allison in tow.

"We met on campus," Rachel said, "We're both frustrated."

"That's why universities have bureaucracies. If they just let you do things, there'd be massive unemployment." They both giggled.

"They want another letter from Winnie."

"Why? You just gave them one."

"Dated last term! So now they want one for next term! They're so-o-o dumb!"

"And you, Allie?"

"I still want to teach. At least I think so. I liked two of my courses. But I was so mad when I met Rachel. They told me how I couldn't study what I wanted to and how many things I wasn't interested in were required. Oooh!"

"Want a drink?"

"Diet something?"

"I'll look." I left the ladies and went into the kitchen.

"I know you go to the opera," Allie said when I returned, "but do you go to the theatre?"

"We haven't," Rachel responded. "Why?"

"I went to 'The Histrionic' by Thomas Bernhard last week. It was tremendous!"

I shook my head. "I've never heard of him."

"He's Austrian. Or was. He's dead. The play is about an aging actor, on a downhill slide, who's getting a show read in a run-down pub. Preparing the dump for his theatrical extravaganza is a piece of theatre in itself. There's the Landlord, some pigs, the troupe, the town and even the elements conspiring against him. It was funny and sad and a great evening."

"Sounds great."

"I think it runs through this weekend." Allie took a drink. "Oh, it's down by the Harbour. Sydney Theatre Company."

Rachel's phone rang. "Excuse me." She got up and went into the bedroom.

"Are you studying theatre at all?"

"Oh, no! I just love going. I've no talent. I could never be a scholar. I enjoy."

"You shouldn't cut yourself down so."

"I'm trying to be honest."

Rachel came out, holding the phone. "It's Winnie. Can we go to a reception tomorrow late afternoon at the Gallery? She says we should 'overdress'."

"Of course. Tell her I'll behave."

She laughed and disappeared again.

"At the Gallery?"

"Rachel's going to do an internship at the Art Gallery. Winnie's one of the curators."

"And you?"

"I'm Rachel's escort. So the paunchy millionaires don't hit on her."

"Seriously?"

"He's serious," Rachel said, returning, "but you've got to see the MILFs go after Patrick!"

"Only two," I responded.

"Ri-i-ight."

"Did you ask Winnie about the new letter?"

"I forgot."

"Try to remember tomorrow. What are you most frustrated about?" I asked Allie.

"Dumb requirements."

"Have you tried lying?"

"What?"

"Prevarication. For instance, you like the theatre. Register for a Theatre History course. Some dolt will tell you that you can't. Then you tell them that you're considering it as your major. They'll let you in, and that's what you want."

"But if they check... ?"

"Don't be cowed so easily. They won't recall you the next day. And what might they do? Call your mother?"

"You're right."

"You should have seen him in school. He was a terror..."

"Don't, Rachel. I'll tickle you."

"I'll bet he was. But non-violent."

"You'd be surprised! He once knocked down a bully who called me a 'Jap'."

"That was a long time ago."

"True. But Patrick has been my knight-in-shining-armor ever since."

Allie sighed. "That's so romantic."

"Oh!" Rachel said, "I forgot to mention it. We're getting married just before Christmas."

Allie squealed. "Oooh! Here? Can I come?"

"No, In Perth. Our families are there. But I'd like to have a party here in the New Year."

"I'd prefer 'a celebration'," I added.

"In the New Year?"

"Right. Don't fret. We'll let you know." Rachel smiled at her.


We got to the Art Gallery a bit after 1600. We went in the front and Rachel led me towards the rear of the Gallery; we went up a ramp the Asian Gallery, turned left and there was a glassed-in room labelled "Function Space." There were a few tables with finger food and beverages, some waiters and waitresses and twenty or so dressed-up blokes. Rachel waved at Winnie, who came over and gave each of us a kiss.

"I'm so-o-o glad you're here! I want you both to meet some people. Come with me." She led us to an Asian woman. "Lindy, I'd like you to meet two young friends. This is Rachel, who's a student at the uni and will be interning with me in the autumn, and this is her fiance, Patrick, who's also at your university. This is Lindy Lee, who's a senior lecturer at Sydney College of the Arts and on the Gallery's Board of Trustees." We all shook hands. "I'm going to abandon Rachel with you briefly, as I want Patrick to meet someone who just arrived."

Winnie led me over to a thin man who was looking at the group, which had now doubled in size. "Greg! I'm so glad you were able to come. This must be a hectic time for you. I want you to meet Patrick Hollister. Pat, this is Greg Tolhurst, who has just been appointed as Acting Dean of the Faculty of Law." I must have gaped.

"How do you do. I'm sorry, I thought the dean of law was female."

Professor Tolhurst laughed. "Hello. I think Gillian is still female. But she resigned and I was Pro Dean, so I'm stuck with being the Acting, commencing, Monday, 30 July."

"Well, I'm a prospective student, but I had – uh – prepared my way to Dean Triggs. I think I'll have to revise my plan."

"Gillian Triggs has been appointed the next President of the Australian Human Rights Commission. Let's go and get me a drink and you can tell me your now-scrapped plan."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.