University
Chapter 23

Copyright© 2011 by Peter H. Salus

Perth III

We found Gino's and got a table for three. Sue arrived a few minutes later.

"Hello, Gordy; no, you're certainly not 'Little Patrick' any more. How do you do? I'm Sue Carr."

"Hi. You look just like you do on the telly ... just a bit prettier."

"Ooh! A charmer."

We ordered and Sue looked at me. "So, why did you want to talk to me? I don't need to be very clever to tell you've a reason."

"Okay. But it's not a short story."

"What's the headline?"

"I want to talk to someone at the University of Sydney Law School."

"Shouldn't be hard. Schedule an appointment."

"Too simple. Let me explain more fully. I've completed half of my first year. I've taken no required courses. Nonetheless, I'm bored. The Law School theoretically has a 'flexible-entry pathway.' But it's not really very flexible, if you read the web site. However, I'm willing to bet that this is a policy. So I need to get someone to help while I'm at bat."

The Graduate Law program is open to those with at least an undergraduate degree in any other discipline at any institution. It is not open to those who have just left school or to those who have a tertiary record but who have not completed all requirements leading to the award of a degree.

"Hmm. Sydney Law School?"

"Yes."

"I interviewed their new dean a year or so ago. About the Spratleys, I think. I would be willing to try to get you an opportunity to speak with her. Triggs. Gillian Triggs."

"That would be wonderful, super."

"Well, I can truthfully say that I've known you for ... what? ... nearly 20 years." We all laughed. "Now, tell me what you're interested in."

We spent nearly an hour eating and talking. Mostly me talking. I quickly realized why Sue Carr was such a success on TV: she nudged and probed a bit, but I spoke with only minimal prompting and without her being obtrusive.

"So," she said. "You want to do some good for the native Australians. You believe that the law is the appropriate means. And you think that Sydney is the most suitable venue."

"Excellent recap," dad said. "I think you have a future in the media."

"Not too long a future. Elderly women don't do well on camera."

"You're nowhere near elderly," I exclaimed.

"And you're sweet, Patrick. Now, this has been lovely, but I must earn my bread and cheese." She got up. "Gordy, I'll phone you at home ... perhaps I'll get to talk to Weena. I'll leave word as to what our future Isaeus should do." She thanked us for lunch again and left.

"Was that all you hoped for?"

"More. She's really something!"

"Yes. We're lucky she's stayed here in Perth. I noted that you said nothing about the stone in Melbourne nor being nungungi."

"No. I'm wary as to how people react to that. Who's Isaeus?"

"Understood. Isaeus was Demosthenes' tutor. Now, let's go back to my office and see whether that last card helps at all."

It did. The bloke remembered dad, better still he knew of three people on the faculty at Sydney who were interested in aboriginal rights and the law. They were all female, their names were Susan, Tanya and Deidra. "Look 'em up in the faculty directory, there can't be that many sheilas," he said. (Dad had the call on speakerphone.)

"Doesn't sound very nice," I said when the call was over.

"I recall him drinking a lot of beer," dad said. "But he gave us more information. We don't need to like him."

"True."

"So, have I done my paternal bit?"

"Yes. I have only one more – uh – problem."

"Which is?"

"I want to marry Rachel."

"I know, you've been saying that since you were around three."

"Yes. And this past few months we've referred to each other as fiance/fiancee. But I'll be 21 next April. So there's nothing that says we have to wait til we're out of university."

"No. And I can't see your mum or either of Rachel's parents raising much of a to-do, either. In fact, it really doesn't matter. You're both of age."

"Yes. But we're not eloping. We're not going to act against your collective wishes."

"What does Rachel say?"

"I haven't asked her – I mean, I haven't asked about this specific time."

"Here or in Sydney?"

"I think here. Rachel would want the six family there."

"Right. Well, my suggestion is that you speak with Rachel and then we have a families meeting. Perhaps on Friday evening."

"Sounds good."

"Oh. Nothing to your mum until you've spoken to Rachel."

"Thanks. Really, thanks."

"What are you doing next?"

"I'll find out." I called Rachel's mobile. "Hi ... Where are you? ... Oh ... Okay ... Where? ... In an hour? ... I'm sure ... Bye." I looked at dad. "They're at the park, in City Beach. Can you drop me there in an hour?"

"Of course. There's something I need to talk to you about. Sit down." I did.

"This was supposed to wait, but it's not that long til your birthday. When Charlie died, he made me his executor. You know, he had no relatives." I nodded. "When Maddy died, Charlie gave a good deal to her relations, though he didn't have to. He was the surviving spouse. Well, when he re-wrote his will he totalled everything and he realized that there was a lot of dosh. He said he was going to leave it all to Weena, because she'd been the first person to be nice to him." He paused. "This was nearly 25 years ago, when we were on our honeymoon. [see "Along the Finke."]

"Your mum said that would be silly. So he left it to you and to Sarah. 50-50. There's a great deal. I'll get the papers in order turn it over to you when you're here at Christmas. It'll be a wedding gift and a Christmas present simultaneously. Sarah will get hers in just over two years."

"Wow!"

"Don't say anything yet. I want to tell Weena just what I've revealed."


We had a pleasant Japanese dinner – fish, rice, vegetables – and were back at the B&B by 2200.

"What's wrong?" Rachel asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Don't be coy. I know you better than anyone else in the world!"

"True. Come here and sit with me." She sat on me.

"You know I love you?"

"You tell me often enough; and I have no grounds to lack faith."

"I want to marry you."

"I know. We've said we were going to get married forever."

"Since childhood."

"Yes. And we told folks we were going to wait til we were finished with the uni. Well, I don't want to wait. Will you marry me around Christmas?" Rachel bounced on my lap.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.