University
Chapter 9

Copyright© 2011 by Peter H. Salus

"Pat?"

"Mmm?"

"Is Turandot a version of the Rumplestiltskin story?"

"Why do you think it is?"

"Because they both revolve around the female having to guess the name of the male."

"Valid point. Bring it up in class."

"Maybe. What are you going to write about for Australian Politics?"

"I thought the Broken Hill City Council mess."

"Why?"

"Because it was all so silly. Mining drongos acting as though being mayor or councillor in a town of 20,000 really meant something. What are you doing for the Mythologies?"

"Oh, didn't I mention it? I've only got one to do! I convinced them that as Greece and Rome were part of Europe, I could write one paper for both. So I'm doing moon goddesses. There are so-o-o many of them." She picked up a slip of paper. "Seven beginning with A- and that's without getting into the Astarte discussion."

"Astarte discussion?"

"Don't get me into it. Just accept that whether Ishtar/Ashtoreth/Astarte is a lunar deity or a stellar one or several other things is open to discussion."

"I was thinking of the Queen of the Night."

"Right. And there's a Phoenician statue of Astarte with a crescent moon headdress."

"I should never have agreed to the opera tickets!"

"You know you love them!"

"True, but I need to tease you. Another Mozart's next."

"Yes. Marriage of Figaro. I read something very critical of the production; then I read something that said art dies if it's not updated."

"I wonder what they've done."

"You'll find out in a few days. Do you know anything about Moroccan myths?"

"No, why?"

"I read about a wonderful one. It's 'The Birth of the Sahara' – the desert. It seems that many years ago all the area was a garden. But, because every time a lie was told a grain of sand was created, nearly all has been covered. The oases that spot the desert are the remnants of the original garden."

"That's great! Yet another explanation! And it's our fault, as mankind is constantly telling lies."

"Right. Now, tell me about Broken Hill."

In January 2007, The City Council was dismissed by the New South Wales Minister for Local Government following a public inquiry. This followed two years of voter complaints following an election.

"It's fairly simple. A mayor was elected who thought that he was 'in charge, ' that he didn't need to follow rules. And several councillors went along. But some people complained to the ministry and David Simmons was appointed commissioner to hold a public enquiry. After several meetings and hearings, he 'recommended that all civic offices at Broken Hill City Council be declared vacant and that an Administrator be appointed for a minimum period of three years.' And the ministry did so."

"I never realized the government could do that!"

"No. Most people aren't aware of the hierarchical power of the Local Government Act. It's one of the things I've learned in Australian Politics."

"Oh. And Gordy said he wants to talk to you."

"Is he in one of your courses?"

"No. But Gerri is, and he comes to meet her."

"Ah, yes."

"I gave him your number."


The next day I was on my way to Modern Europe when Gordy called.

"Patrick."

"It's Gordy."

"Rachel said you were going to call."

"Can I meet you?"

"Coffee at 1500?"

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.