Rhythm and the Blue Line
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2011 by PennLady

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 4 - Ryan is a musician, and she's not fond of sports. Brody's a hockey player, and he's not looking for anything serious. Then they meet.

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Romantic   Heterosexual   Humor   Sports  

A week later, Ryan was on the UMD campus. She walked over to the statue of the diamondback terrapin, symbol of the school's teams, and rubbed its head. The week had been hectic, including a tense dinner with her parents, and it felt like it was the first time in days she'd even been able to take a deep breath.

"So, let's see." She patted the terrapin's head again. "In the last week, I've filed a record number of reports at work, argued both on the phone and in person with my parents, argued with our guitarist, and picked up a boyfriend. A hockey-playing boyfriend." She shook her head. "It doesn't feel quite real." When she got no response, she shrugged and leaned against the statue's base and waited for Evan.

It had only been a week, but so far Brody hadn't done any of the things she might have expected from a person obsessed with sports. He'd called when he said he would, and left messages that made her laugh if she couldn't get to the phone. He asked about the band's progress, and although he said he wanted her to come to a game, hadn't pressed her on it.

Ryan realized she had to give up her preconceived notions. Lara had been right, at least so far. Brody treated hockey like his job, which it was. Like anyone else with a job, he talked about it at times, and let it go at others. She needed to give him the benefit of the doubt.

"It must be a set up. It shouldn't be this easy." Ryan stared at the terrapin, but he remained impassive.

"Hey, Ryan!" Evan jogged up and gave her a hug.

"Hi." Ryan reached up and mussed his hair. "You need a haircut."

"Yeah, I know." He grinned. "Sorry I'm late, got caught up in homework."

"They make the basketball players do homework?" Ryan teased.

Evan put a hand on his chest and took a stumbling step back. "Oh, I'm hurt! How could my own sister say such a thing?" Then he grinned. "Come on, is that the best you've got?"

She laughed. "Sorry, long week. I'll think on it and come up with something better." Then she saw the book in his hand. "So, what? You carry that to impress the girls?"

"Oh." Evan looked down, as though he'd forgotten he was carrying anything. "Oh, well. Here. Don't say anything to Dad, okay?"

Ryan gave him a puzzled smile and took the textbook he held out. "'Introduction to Architectural Principals?' Wow, Ev." She paged through and gave a low whistle. "It's all Greek to me. Wow." She handed it back. "I didn't know you were interested in architecture."

"Well, I'm not sure how interested I am yet, but it sounded neat when I was checking out courses. And you remember my friend, Reza? His dad's an architect and I've talked to him a bit about it." Evan shrugged, embarrassed. "I don't know, it may not work out."

"Why don't you want me to tell Dad?"

Evan snorted. "Are you kidding? You think he wants me to take anything resembling difficult? He wants me to take safe courses to keep my GPA up so I don't get on academic probation or anything. Of course he thinks I'll declare for the draft. He even told me, why bother declaring a major when I know I'm not going to finish it."

Ryan was silent, leaning against the statue and studying her brother. "So I'm guessing you don't agree with that plan?"

"I don't know." Evan rubbed the back of his neck. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't be dumping all this on you before the gig."

"It's all right. I have some time, and the sound check's done. Come on." She stepped away from the statue and started walking. Evan caught up in two long strides.

"I don't know what I want," he said after a few minutes. "I mean, I love playing basketball, don't get me wrong. But I just don't know if I want it the way JT wants football, you know? Or the way you want your music."

"You still have time to decide, kiddo." Ryan put her hands in her pockets. "I mean, you've just started your first semester."

"Oh, come on, Ry." Evan barked a laugh. "You and I both know that if I do anything other than declare for the draft when I'm eligible, Dad will have a fit. He doesn't care about anything else. Last time I saw them, I tried talking about classes and if there's something beyond ignoring a person, that's what Dad did."

Ryan nodded, knowing that feeling all too well.

Evan went on, "It was all about sports, all about basketball. And if not that, then about JT and football. Dad acts like this is all just filler until I play games. He knows I need to take the classes, obviously, but he acts like it's a waste of time."

"Dad can be tough to talk to. Not that I try anymore. You know, I'm still sorry I left your birthday like that. I was just so mad."

"No worries." Evan shrugged. "Besides, I have to tell you—I was jealous."

"What?" Ryan stared at him.

He patted her shoulder and laughed. "I wish I could be like you, Ryan. I wish I knew for sure what I wanted, and that I could just ignore Dad and do it anyway."

"I thought you wanted to play basketball."

"It's fun. I just ... I don't know. I'm glad it got me a scholarship, I just don't see myself playing in the pros. I know it's what Dad wants, but I don't know." He shrugged. "I don't want to disappoint him."

"That's okay. I disappoint him enough for all of us." Ryan nudged him but he frowned at her dark humor.

"Ryan, don't say that. I mean, I know it must feel like that, but it's not right. It's on Dad, not you, if he's going to be like that."

She smiled. "Thanks, little brother."

"Oh, don't go mushy on me." Evan pretended to scowl and push her away when she hugged his arm. "I guess JT will have to make up for the both of us, huh?"

"I think he can handle it."

They walked for a little while longer, heading toward Evan's dorm. Once there, Ryan waited outside while he dropped his book in his room.

"Okay, let's go." He let the door close behind him. "I guess it'd be dumb to ask if JT is coming?"

Ryan shook her head. "I doubt it. I haven't talked to him in a while, so I don't even know if he knows."

"Let's change the subject. What's new with you, anyway?" Evan asked as they headed back to the gym, where the band would play as part of the homecoming festivities.

"Well ... okay, I'll tell you but if you laugh I'm going to smack you."

Evan raised an eyebrow. "What, did you try to rob a bank or something?"

"Oh, funny. No. I'm going out with someone."

"Really? Well, hey, that's cool. I mean, not that I need to think about my sister dating anyone, but okay. Who is it? Anybody I know?" Evan grinned. "Is it some musician with dreadlocks and tattoos that will give Dad a heart attack?"

Ryan laughed. "No, no musicians. He might have a tattoo, I guess; I haven't asked. Anyway, believe it or not, a hockey player. Brody Lang. From the Capitals."

Evan stopped and stared at her. "Seriously?"

"Yes." She smacked his arm. "Why would I make something like that up?"

"I just know how you are about the whole athlete thing. I mean, geez, if I wasn't your brother, you'd probably never talk to me." He laughed as he dodged another swing.

"Smart ass." But she smiled and explained how they'd met.

"Have you told Mom and Dad?"

"No. No way, not yet." Ryan shook her head. "It's only been a week, just barely, and I'm not sure how it will go. Besides, I can't subject Brody to Dad. Not this soon. Can you imagine?"

Evan nodded. "Oh, yeah. Smart move."

They talked a little more, and then Ryan turned when she heard someone call Evan's name. A girl with long black hair and Indian features came up to him, her smile wide and her dark eyes bright. Ryan looked at her brother and bit back a smile at the pleased expression on his face.

"Hey, Amira." He leaned down to kiss her on the cheek.

Ryan hid her grin under her hand; Evan had forgotten she was even there. She watched as he hugged the girl, then took her back pack, which looked like it would burst.

"So, Evan, who's this?" Amira nodded at Ryan, who had to laugh when Evan went bright red in the face.

"I'm Ryan Bancroft, Evan's sister." She held out a hand. "Nice to meet you."

"Hi, I'm Amira Patel."

"Amira's in my economics class." Evan cleared his throat. "And we've been going out for a few weeks now."

"Really? That's great." Ryan beamed. "If you want to know any embarrassing secrets, Amira, I'll give you my email."

Amira laughed. "Thanks."

"You want me to come to your show or not?" Evan gave Ryan a half-hearted glare, then turned to Amira. "Remember, I told you about Ryan's band?"

"Sure." Amira nodded. "I'm looking forward to seeing you perform."

"Terrific." Ryan checked her watch. "Well, I guess I'd better go if I want this to come off on time. Call me afterwards if you want, Evan."

"Okay." He grinned. "If your new boyfriend won't be jealous."

Ryan looked at Amira. "He thinks he's so funny." As the other woman chuckled, Ryan turned to her brother. "He's in Buffalo tonight, doofus. Now, are you coming or what?"

Evan chuckled and gave her a one-armed hug. "Yeah, we're coming. Break a leg and all that. And, Ryan?"

"Yeah?"

Evan stepped back and put an arm around Amira. "Don't tell Dad, okay? About the courses and ... stuff?"

Ryan nodded. "You got it. See you later."

x-x-x-x

Three days later, on a game-free Tuesday night, Brody whistled as he flipped a zucchini pancake over.

Mark eyed the contents of the pan warily. "What is that?"

"A zucchini pancake with angel hair pasta and a few other things. It's like a frittata." Brody sprinkled some salt and pepper on it, flipped it again.

"How the hell do you come up with stuff like that?"

"Saw it in a magazine." Brody shrugged. "Looked good, thought I'd try it. Come on, when have I ever let you down with food?"

"When you tried to mix red peppers and sauerkraut." Mark shuddered at the memory. "I can't eat either of those things now without flashbacks, thanks to you."

"Not every experiment works. We learn from our failures."

Mark snorted. "Anyway, I'm not trying that, whatever it is."

"Fine, it's not for you anyway, you wuss. It's for Ryan."

"What is it with you and cooking for her? Every time I turn around you guys are eating together."

"I can't cook for my girlfriend?"

"No, you can cook for whoever—what?" Mark walked over and poked him in the shoulder. "When did she become your girlfriend? On the bus to Philly you said you weren't going out with her."

"And at the time, I wasn't." Brody turned the heat down on the stove. "Things change, man. That was almost two weeks ago. You need to keep up."

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why are you going out with her?"

"Are you seriously asking me that?" When Mark didn't answer, Brody shrugged. "I bet Hilary loves it when you get all big brother. Anyway, I wanted to. I asked, she said yes, so we're going out. Very simple."

Mark looked about to say something, then turned his head and paced into the living room. Brody ignored him for a few minutes, then turned around. "What is the problem here?"

"I don't know. I like Ryan. And I know you and how you are with women."

Brody raised an eyebrow. "How I am?"

"Oh, please. You've been commitment averse since I've known you, to say the least. And I don't think Ryan is like that. I don't want you doing anything to hurt her."

"Yeah, because I'm such a monster. Because I've left a trail of broken hearts in my wake. Christ, Gainer." Brody turned back to the stove. "Look, I asked her. She said yes. We're just going out. Relax."

"Fine." Mark went to the door. "But you can't tell me the first time she tries making plans more than a week in advance, you won't freak."

"We're both busy enough that plans are made on the fly. With her band, she's probably busier than I am a lot of the time. And besides, my freaking limit on plans is more like two weeks."

"Okay, fine." Mark had to chuckle. "Just, seriously, man, don't mess with her."

"Jesus, you really are a big brother." Brody made a shooing motion. "Go away."

Mark left and Brody shook his head as he dumped his knife and cutting board in the sink. Ryan was an adult, for God's sake, he thought. He hadn't blackmailed her into going out with him. True, he hadn't been, and still wasn't, looking for the long-term stuff, as he'd told Baxter. Someday, that'd be fine; some day, after his NHL career, when he was done with road trips, potential trades, and all of that.

There was no point in having something derailed when it was avoidable. Ryan, he figured, had to feel much the same. She was busy with her band, and was working to get busier. He doubted she was looking for the picket fence either. More likely, she was looking for a tour bus.

The knock at the door drew him out of his thoughts, and he went to answer it with a sense of anticipation that surprised him.

"Hey there." He smiled at her when he opened the door.

"Hi." She looked up with bright eyes, a little breathless. "Sorry I'm late."

"Not a problem." He stood back and gestured her in, then closed the door behind her. He watched as she strode in and rested her guitar case against side of the couch, then draped her coast over the arm. He had to admit, he liked that walk; it was confident and not just a little sexy.

She put her hands on her hips and took a breath, then turned back to him and smiled. "Hi."

"Hi." He came over and faced her for a moment, then leaned down to kiss her. "How are you?"

"Good." She leaned into him for a moment, then pulled back. "Hey, something smells good."

"Thanks." He tugged her towards the kitchen. "You're a guinea pig tonight. I decided to try something new."

"Hmmm." Ryan pretended skepticism. "Maybe I should go back for my ramen noodles."

He raised an eyebrow. "Tell me you at least added some meat and vegetables to it."

"Um, no, can't say we did." Ryan had the grace to look embarrassed.

"I don't know how you've lived this long," he said, but couldn't help a chuckle.

"But if I hadn't done that, how could I appreciate you now?"

"There's something to be said for appreciation," he allowed. "Now, sit. It's almost ready."

Ryan smiled as she sat back in the chair. She'd had a busy day, been late for rehearsal, and had come right from her ride with Lara up to Brody's apartment, not even stopping to drop off her guitar. In the elevator she'd laughed at herself, so anxious to see her boyfriend. Not that she hadn't had boyfriends before, but she couldn't recall looking forward to seeing any of them like this.

It had been a few days, she reminded herself; she hadn't seen him since the previous Friday. Five days, she thought wryly; it had been less than a week, and here she'd been in such a hurry she'd dragged her guitar along with her.

Brody brought over the plates, each with a piece of some odd pizza-looking thing. Ryan looked from him to the food as he set glasses of water on the table.

"What is that?"

"Zucchini pancake with angel hair pasta. Don't judge, just eat it."

Ryan did, with some trepidation, but nodded in approval. "Not bad. Not bad at all."

"Well, thank you for that glowing review." Brody shot her a look and she laughed. "So, anyway, sorry I missed your show at Maryland. How did it go?"

"Pretty good." Ryan cut another piece of the food. "Jason only ran over on two songs." She rolled her eyes. "At least it was songs where he'd done it before, so we could cover. I let him have it afterwards, but I doubt it'll help."

"Sorry."

She shrugged. "I'm trying to let it go, for now anyway. And I did get to see my brother, Evan. He's the youngest. Plays basketball."

"And your other brother is... ?"

"JT. Football. At Maryland, in fact." She stabbed at the pancake. "Just like Dad."

"I'm sensing a little hostility."

Ryan gave him a half-smile. "Sorry. It's kind of automatic."

He reached over and squeezed her hand. "It's okay."

"No, no it's not. It's stupid to get upset about it." She shook her head. "It's been that way my whole life and I should be used to it—I am used to it, really."

"Yes, I can see that." Brody gave her a somber nod, which made her huff out a laugh.

"I could bore you with the reasons why, but I don't want to ruin a nice dinner. So let's just forget about it. I'll start over. The show was fine, I let Jason have it about the songs, and I got to see Evan, so that was fun." She took a deep breath. "There, see? Now, I watched the Buffalo game and some of the one on Sunday. You guys looked good. That was a stupid call in the Buffalo game that cost that guy ... what's his name? The Russian guy?"

"Obie?"

"No, the other one."

"Oh, Tolya Strelkov." Brody grinned. "Yeah, he was pretty pissed about that goal being disallowed. But he'll get another one."

"You got one." Ryan smiled at him.

"I did indeed. It was a great feeling, let me tell you. I was on the verge of a slump. Well, a slump for me."

They talked a little more, then cleared the table when they finished eating. Ryan offered to help with the dishes, but Brody waved her off. Instead, he took her hand and pulled her out to the living room. She laughed as he yanked her down to the couch, half on top of him.

"So, what do we do now?" Ryan asked. "Watch more Iron Chef?"

"If you want." Brody smiled. "I actually didn't have a plan."

"Okay." She covered a yawn. "Why don't you tell me about your family? I like hearing about families where everyone gets along."

He laughed at that. "Well, we get along most times, I guess."

Ryan shifted to get more comfortable and laid her head on his shoulder. "Go on, tell me. My family problems annoy me. You have, like, a dozen siblings, right?"

"I don't think five kids is any kind of horde," he said, "but it did make for a crowded house. We're all experts at the five-minute shower. Except my sister, Lana."

"Lana? No, you can't be serious." Ryan lifted her head. "You have a sister named Lana Lang?"

"What's wrong with that?" Brody widened his eyes, all innocence.

"Your parents did not name your sister after a character in Superman comics. Tell me they didn't."

"Okay, no, they didn't." He laughed as Ryan dropped her head in relief. "Seriously, my oldest brother is named Rick, then there's my sister Carla, then me, then Josh, and my youngest sister is Eileen. My mom's name, though, is Lois, so they had some fun with that."

Ryan chuckled. "I bet. So, what do they all do? Anyone else play hockey, or another sport?"

Brody paused, trying to remember everything. "Well, we all played sports at some point, but I was the only who got serious about it. Rick works in construction, and Carla is a teacher. Second grade, more power to her. Josh is a computer programmer, and Eileen is in her last year of college. I forget what she's majoring in; she changes all the time. Last I talked to her, she was talking about joining the Peace Corps or something."

"That sounds neat. Did you all get along?"

"Oh, pretty much. There was the usual sibling rivalry. Frogs were strategically placed in dresser drawers, things like that." He paused. "Usually it was rubber frogs, or spiders, but once Josh found a real frog and man, Carla almost broke the windows when she screamed."

"Nice." Ryan laughed.

"Well, my sisters were no slouches in about getting us back, let me tell you." Brody chuckled and absently rubbed her arm. "They were sneakier, too. They liked to take my hockey equipment and hide it. They'd fill my skates with dad's shaving cream." He made a face. "I can't tell you how weird that felt."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.