Winds of Change
Chapter 14

All rights reserved © 2006 by R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

Tina returned, followed by a woman who was vaguely familiar to Grant. He assumed she was Barbara. In a quick scan, Grant observed that the woman was a couple inches shorter than Tina and at least forty-five to Tina’s thirty. Their hair was similar in color, though Tina’s was the much shorter wash and wear look that had been adopted by a lot of Navy women. Barbara looked reasonably trim, but did not have the appearance of someone obsessive about their weight or physical condition. In summary, the woman was attractive, but had a softer, more gentle air around her.

“Barbara, this is the leader of the other uptimer boat, Grant Maxwell.”

“Vic, Doctor Maxwell and I have met previously. It’s good to see you again and I’m happy to know you survived without dragging along that obnoxious and self-absorbed wife of yours.”

“Actually, it’s now ex-wife, but you confuse me. You seem familiar, but I can’t think of where we met.”

“Well, with our current situation, I’d say that you are a widower. As for where we met, it was a ball in Philadelphia to raise funds for the raising and preservation of that ship you located off the Scottish coast. I can’t remember its name, but John Paul Jones was the Captain.”

The admiral said, “That was the Bonhomme Richard, and I’d forgotten Grant’s involvement in that project.”

“It was part of my doctoral thesis,” explained Grant.

“As I remember, the Navy and the State Department had to get involved as some professor objected to awarding a British scholar’s letters to ‘an American mongrel who did nothing but dredge up some worthless trash.’

“Victor, you remembered that quote quite accurately. That professor is also the other Uptimer I mentioned, and it’s not just me he hates. He blames America and Americans for every bad thing that has happened in the world since 1600.”

“This is why you take the threats of a death list and an invasion fleet so seriously,” observed Tina. “Who better than a history professor full of hate to want to change history and see that the United States never gets started?”

Victor returned his attention to his wife by reaching out and touching her arm. After a personal moment between the two, he asked, “Do you have any idea where we stand concerning supplies?”

“We’ve got a lot more now than we did when we left Baltimore. Even with that, I seriously doubt we could feed this group for more than ten days.”

“Good, that gives me something to work with. Now, what can you tell me about our survivor?”

“Her name is Beatrice Booker, though she prefers to be called Bea. The two children with her are Carolina, five, and Charles, who has just turned three.”

“What’s her situation?”

“She’s so scared she’s barely noticed that we dress, talk and act differently than what’s she’s used to.”

“What has her so frightened?” asked Grant.

“A man named Elias Bertram. From her description, he leads a gang that controls the docks in New Bern. He’s also related to the Governor in some manner.”

“Do you know the basis for the fear?”

“Her husband, Beau, borrowed money from Bertram to repair some mysterious damage to their boat. Then, once the repairs were made, their fishing nets were stolen. With the loan coming due, Bertram suggested that Beau help him sneak in a load of rum, with enough profit from the job to pay off the loan and buy new nets. Then, yesterday it was Bertram that led the raid and just before he killed her husband Bea heard him tell Beau that Bea would finally be his, either as his wife, or as his indentured servant.”

“It sounds like Mr Bertram is a budding Mafia Don,” remarked Grant. “Do you know how much was the debt?”

“It was for Thirty Pounds. It was made as a friendly loan with no interest.”

“Barbara, would you please bring her here,” asked Grant. “I’d also appreciate you’re staying with us as she may need more of your support.”

“Sure.”

After Barbara closed the door, Victor commented, “Lousy bastard. I sure would like to see Mr Bertram get his just rewards.”

“You might get that opportunity.”

“And you sound like there’s a new idea floating around in your head.”

“There is, but there are too many unknowns to say much at the moment.”

Barbara entered the room with a young woman who looked to be in her early twenties. She had soft brown hair and hazel eyes that looked almost tan. She was no more than five four and it looked like she weighted a hundred and twenty. At least twenty pounds were hidden in her extensive breasts.

Grant mentally commented, If breast implants were available in this time, she must have purchased the large economy size at Sam’s Club.

“Bea, my name is Grant, and it was my men that rescued you.”

“Zeke?” she whispered.

“Yes, Zeke is part of my crew.”

“Nice?” she again whispered.

“Yes, very nice.” Grant answered with a smile.

He then added, “Bea, Barbara has told us your story. What do you want to do?”

“Zeke married?”

“No, Zeke is not married.”

“Then, I want that bastard Elias Bertram dead, and I want to leave this place and go where Zeke lives.”

“Do you want Beau’s boat?”

“No. Fishing and the sea was Beau’s life, but my love is making clothes.”

“Then I propose to pay off Beau’s debt and take you and the boat to Charleston. I’m also thinking about fronting a store, if you could work with some slaves.”

“If they’re hard working and good people, I don’t care what color they are.”

“On your boat, did the crew have additional clothes?”

“Yes, as do Beau and I. We had to move from where we were renting, so we were living on the Amanda Dear. Which reminds me, Beau owed several people small sums. It probably wouldn’t total as much as five Pounds.”

“Bea, what’s the current exchange rate on Spanish Doubloons?”

A few days ago, it was seven Pounds seven.”

Grand pulled a gold coin from his pocket, and said, “Bea, this is to pay off your debts and get anything you might need for the trip to Charleston. Now, I need your help to get on shore and to set you free from this Elias Bertram.”

“How can I help?”

Grant answered, “We’ll explain more when we get to Charleston, but I need to dress some of our people in the common clothes of the day. I’ll also need your help on shore, and will pay you for your time and effort.”

“Just getting us free from this evil place will be more than sufficient pay for me. Tell me what you’re thinking.”

“I want to hear this, myself,” commented Barbara.

“My idea is to move as many non-essential people as possible to The Stiletto. We outfit Zeke, Trey and as many others as possible and keep the others below deck. We use Secret to pull the Amanda Dear into port, with Bea on the bow screaming for help. Then, while everyone is focused on Bea and the Amanda Dear my small group can move ashore and out of the way. With us off, you move out into the harbor and anchor.”

Victor nodded in thought, and said, “I think that might work. What about your luggage? Will you need it set off also?

“From what I’m hearing, I don’t think we should spend the night ashore. Can we sleep in blankets on your deck?”

Barbara answered, “I think we can round up a couple of beds for you and your people.”

Her husband added, “If nothing else, we can hot bunk some people, as we’ll need to have people standing watch while you sleep.”

“Then let’s see what we have in the way of clothes, as I’d like to get under way as soon as possible. In addition, Bea and I’ll need some time to make sure we get our stories straight.”

Those in the office meeting quickly moved on to their assigned tasks. Barbara and Tina joined Bea and several of the younger men and moved across The Stiletto where another ramp was placed connecting it to the Amanda Dear. They ignored the bodies, the smell and the flies and quickly went below deck.

Grant, Gabe and Isaac returned to The Stiletto and went below to the crew’s quarters. With a little direction and instruction from Grant the three showered, shaved and dressed. Grant wore his best downtimer clothes. Of course, he didn’t forget his Kevlar vest and his shoulder holster. Once they were ready Gabe and Isaac grabbed their bag and one of Grants. This left him with the small bag that carried his swords and his gi. By the time Grant reached Victor’s Secret the group who’d been searching the Amanda Dear were back on board Secret. When most everyone first saw him in these clothes they were either stunned or wanted to laugh.

Bea had the final word when she announced, “Now, that’s what a well-dressed gentleman should look like.”

“Thank you, dear lady,” answered Grant, and then he asked, “Victor, what’s our status?”

“The Amanda Dear is attached by means of a three-inch rope and we’re ready to move as soon as Bea and Zeke get on board her.”

“Zeke?”

“He’s manning the helm and keeping the boat on course.”

“That makes sense.”

Barbara led Grant to his cabin and gave him the lock code for the door. He was placing his luggage at the foot of the bed when he suddenly had a moment of inspiration. He opened the secret area in the top of one of his luggage pieces and gathered sufficient doubloons to pay off the debt on the boat. He pulled a small velvet bag from his luggage and removed the small snuff box it had contained, placing it in the right pocket of his waistcoat. He placed the gold coins in the bag and put it in an inside coat pocket that was close to his holstered pistol. In addition, he took two white silk handkerchiefs and stuffed one up each of his sleeves. After a quick look in the room’s mirror, he grabbed his hat and cane and exited the room. Bea met him in the passageway and made a few adjustments, especially to his cravat and wig, before declaring him ready for New Bern Society. Grant handed her the bag of coins and instructed her to make sure she got any change and Bertram’s signature that the debt was paid in full.”

“You know he’s going to be mad. What should I tell him?”

“You got to shore and went through the woods to the river. You hollered for help and waved a rag when you saw my boat. I pulled into the small harbor and found an abandoned ship, which I claimed for salvage. When we rescued you and the children I decided that even though, by right, I didn’t have to pay you anything for the boat, but I’d pay off the debt.”

“That will work. What else?”

“As soon as you’re on shore make sure you have plenty of people hear your story, including the fact that it was white men dressed as Indians. If asked to identify anyone tell them you didn’t see any faces, just white legs and hands. Pay the debt off as soon as possible and, again, in front of many impartial witnesses. Tell Zeke to follow Bertram as soon as he stomps off angrily. If the man leaves the dock, then have Zeke return to me. Can you follow that so far?”

“Without a problem. After all, it’s just a bit of common sense.”

“If you see Bertram trying to confront me I want you to scream, moan and whatever you have to do to keep everyone there focused on you.”

“Okay, but what are you planning?”

“Bea, I’m not planning anything, but I wouldn’t be surprised if your tormentor has a fatal accident.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.