A Sentimental Heart - Cover

A Sentimental Heart

Copyright© 2011 by angie65

Chapter 4

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 4 - A cool head against a warm heart; which will win out in the end?

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Romantic   Heterosexual  

He hesitated for a moment more, allowing himself to dream for a precious moment that things could be different, but then with a regretful sigh, he turned to switch on the engine and drove out of the car park as they began their journey in silence.

Miranda let out a slow and quiet sigh of relief, mixed with regret ... she had seen the look on Marcus's face and it had frightened her with its intensity ... but her pulse had quickened and her heartbeat had strengthened, and for a moment she had felt ... so very alive!

"I'm still not familiar with the one way system around here ... so you'd better tell me which way to go." Was his only comment and though it wasn't said nastily, it was a little curt.

"Turn right at the next corner and then left on to the main road," she instructed unhappily.

Once on the main road she gave him a few more directions, which would lead them to the street where she and Peter lived together.

When he pulled up outside her house she made a grab for the door. "Thank you for bringing me home ... goodnight!" she said in a rush – already half way out of the car.

"I'll see you inside before I go." He was beside her before she got to her gate, and his hand was once again on her elbow in a 'don't even bother to argue with me, ' kind of way.

"Very well, since you insist," she responded reluctantly.

"I'm glad that you understand that."

She heard the tone of amusement in his voice, and once again her heart did a little flip.

He waited patiently while she dug through her bag searching for her keys, and his closeness to her made her feel...

As she unlocked and opened her door she suddenly stopped and looked up at him. "Would you like to come and share some supper and a pot of tea with me?" she asked uncertainly, wanting to keep his company for a little while longer.

"What did you have in mind?" he smiled warmly at her and his eyes twinkled nicely, as he seemed to relax once more into that easy going young man she had spent the evening with.

"Nothing spectacular I'm afraid ... just some cheese on toast," she told him apologetically, feeling embarrassed at inviting him to such a lame meal.

"I've not had that since I was a boy!" he declared happily. "My grandma used to make it for me, when I went to stay for the weekend."

Great! She thought to herself, I'm now lumped in there with his grandma and cheese on toast! Way to go on making a lasting impression!

He sat at the kitchen table watching her as she put the kettle to boil and prepared their supper. By the time she had finished she felt stressed and nervous and had to force herself to sit down opposite him and not run from the room.

"Why are you so jumpy Miranda?" he asked her as she let her eyes drift to her plate.

"Just tired I guess," she mumbled picking up her toast and biting into it defiantly.

They ate their supper in silence but over tea he began a gentle conversation, and she gradually relaxed and the tea and talk flowed nicely. He asked her about other times they'd attended the concert in the park, and the conversation drifted from there to her parents.

She kept to the facts of their deaths as much as she could, but Marcus heard the loss and devastation in her voice ... the pressure that she had felt in taking on the responsibilities ... for Peter's final education, keeping their home together...

Marcus felt his heart constrict as he thought about how alone she must have felt ... he wished so much that they could go back in time and that he could have been there for her ... to help her and hold her and tell her that everything would be okay...

When she stood up to gather the pots Marcus stood too. "I'll just help you with the washing up, and then I'll leave you in peace."

"Thank you," was her weak response, as a wave of disappointment washed over her at the prospect of his leaving.


She walked him to the door where he bent and kissed her lightly on the cheek. "Thank you for my supper," he told her quietly.

"You are always welcome." She stood looking up at him not realising that everything she was feeling was right there in her eyes; clear for him to see.

Marcus paused to stare into those glorious eyes for a few moments, knowing that it would be so easy to fall for her, to seduce her ... to become involved with her...

"You should go inside; it's getting cold out here," he instructed abruptly.

She was his employee, she was his assistant's sister; to become involved with her would ... complicate things needlessly.

"Good night Miranda," he sighed regretfully as he stepped back from her porch, and turned to leave.

"Good night Marcus." She frowned at his back in confusion, sensing again a change in him; from the easy going man she had shared her evening – and her supper with ... now he had gone back to being her boss again.

She felt the change, but didn't quite understand the need for it.

Miranda closed her front door, and dropped the catch, Peter had his key, so would be able to let himself in.

She stood listening to the sound of Marcus's car, as he switched on the engine, and then a moment later she heard as he drove away.

Miranda knew that she had to be careful around Marcus, she wasn't exactly experienced when it came to dealing with men; but she did know that she could trust him, and that if ever she had a need, then Marcus would be the one she could turn to. And she also realised that she felt drawn to him, and it would be only too easy for her to develop an emotional attachment to him, maybe even a dependency ... Miranda had been independent for a long time now, and thought of needing someone else – frightened her.


The next few weeks drifted along, and Miranda settled into her new job. Mrs Rogers was still as abrupt and surly as ever, but she was gradually handing over more and more work, and responsibility to Miranda; and Miranda began to feel more of an equal to Mrs Rogers, as she began to do more than just the typing.

All of this was helped by the great influx of work that they suddenly found themselves facing, almost on a daily basis. It kept them both busy all day every day and Miranda often left the office feeling 'brain dead'. She wondered how Mrs Rogers coped with it all!

It was nearing the end of October, and Miranda was in early on that Monday morning, feeling happy and energised after a relaxing weekend; and looking forward to the next weekend, since her and Peter had been invited to a Halloween party.

Mrs Rogers came into the office looking very grumpy. "I hate this time of year." She declared miserably. "It's cold and wet and gloomy all the time."

Miranda looked at her in surprise. "Oh I love this time of year! It's such a busy season what with Halloween and bonfire night not to mention the build up to Christmas!"

"Huh!" Mrs Rogers snapped. "Well you would, you're still young and pretty. You probably dress up for Halloween and really get into the spirit of the thing – don't you?"

"Well I do try, and I do enjoy it yes ... I love to see the kids, as they go out trick or treating!" Miranda smiled happily refusing to let the older woman's ill feeling discourage her. "And my old employer phoned me at the weekend, and invited me and Peter to a party he was planning – for Halloween ... he said that 'dressing up was an absolute must', and he would accept NO excuses!" she laughed lightly.

Their conversation was brought to a halt by the entrance of one of the men from the research and development department, he had a handful of files, and a slightly sheepish look on his face.

"They had a breakthrough on a joint project, and came in over the weekend," he explained apologetically. "They've got mountains of data; that they're sorting out, and almost all of it will find its way across to here."

It was a gloomy prediction, but accurate, and as the morning drifted along, both ladies found their desks buried with paperwork.

"This is the last of it." It was the same guy as from first thing, and he handed the last file to Miranda with a friendly grin. He hesitated for a moment, and his eyes glanced across at Mrs Rogers nervously before fixing on Miranda once more.

"There's a cocktail night, over the road, starts later this evening ... most of us try and get to it ... even the boss tries to make one once in a while! Do you think you'll be going?" he asked her awkwardly.

Miranda shot him a friendly grin, Peter had already told her about this monthly ritual, and they had agreed to go together. "I might be yes ... if I can get finished here on time, and get home for some dinner and a change of clothes."

"I'll maybe see you there later then?" he returned her grin before turning to Mrs Rogers. "And what about you Mrs Rogers?" he asked jovially. "Will we have the pleasure of your company tonight?"

"Huh!" she snipped. "I'm far too old to be off doing things like that." She sniffed. "I leave it to you young ones to party away the evening - and on a week night too!"

She looked pointedly across at Miranda who just smiled again at the pleasant young man. "I'll see you later then!" she declared brightly.

The man left with a sly wink at Miranda, and Miranda settled back down to work again, conscious of Mrs Rogers' disapproving stare.

"You've probably got some hot young man taking you?" she said abruptly and there was a hint of spite in the older woman's tone.

Miranda refused to let her get under her skin. "Well, I suppose some would think that my brother Peter is hot," she conceded with a smile.

"Well just make sure that you are able to get in tomorrow – is all I ask of you!" Mrs Rogers sniffed again.

"Good morning ladies, would one of you be kind enough to type this up as soon as possible." Marcus strolled casually into the room; he looked at Mrs Rogers questioningly.

Miranda sucked in a quiet calming little breath, as she looked across at Marcus. He'd been the perfect boss these last few weeks, courteous, and respectful; and totally professional towards Miranda; and she began to wonder if that evening at that open air concert had all been a dream.

"I'm only in for a few hours this morning and I've plenty to finish before I can go, so you had better give it to Miranda." Mrs Rogers just managed to keep her tone respectful.

Marcus turned to Miranda who smiled politely at him. "Of course Mr Phillips I'll put it at the top of my pile." She indicated the mountain of files and documents on her desk all needing her attention.

"Do you need help with that lot?" he asked her formally.

"It looks worse than it is," she reassured him with another little smile.

"Very well then..." He put the papers on her desk with a little grunt. "As soon as you're able please Miss Redmond." He left the office without further comment and Miranda settled down to work, making sure that Marcus's was the next thing she put her attention to.

She was just printing off the last of it when Peter wandered in. "Any sign of that file Marcus bought in to you?" he asked her cheerfully.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.