A Good Man
Chapter 4: There's No Rule Against It

Copyright© 2011 by Marc Nobbs

I woke earlier than usual on Tuesday morning having not had the best night’s sleep. Strange dreams which, as dreams do, faded so quickly that I couldn’t recall what had been so strange about them. I think they may have been about Clarissa. I may have kissed her. In the middle of the school canteen with everyone standing round watching, pointing and laughing.

I stared at the ceiling for ten minutes and tried to put the day before into some kind of perspective. Clarissa had done her duty. She’d thanked me for being there when she needed someone (I’m not so arrogant as to think she needed me—she just needed someone that night at the wedding) and had then gone even further by gracing me with her presence for a couple of hours in the English class. In her world, that was more than enough thanks. I fully expected the world to right itself when I got to school and for everything to go back to what passed for normal at Micester High.

So when I sat down at our usual table at lunchtime to wait for Kevin and Billy, I was shocked when a voice behind me said, “This seat is free, right. It’s usually just the three of you.”

I turned my head and gave Clarissa what was fast becoming my default expression when she spoke to me—wide-eyed and open-mouthed bewilderment.

She put her plate on the table and took the seat next to me. “Paul, if we’re going to be friends, you really need to stop acting so surprised every time I talk to you.”

“Fr ... Friends?”

“Yes, friends. Friends talk to each other, don’t they?”

“So we’re friends now?”

“Of course.”

“But ... I mean ... you’re...”

The Head Villager. I know. Don’t remind me. And you’re a Townie. So what? We can be friends, can’t we? There’s no rule against it, is there?”

“I thought there was,” I said, having regained some control over my vocal cords. I don’t think my brain had quite re-engaged yet though judging from that banal remark.

“Well, you thought wrong.” She sounded weary—even more so after she sighed. “I get so sick of it all. Don’t you? The Great Divide or whatever they call it. Look, the truth is that I can trust you. I know that now. And if there’s someone you know you can trust then they’re your friend, right? That’s how friendship works. Sometimes.”

I shook my head. And I had expected the world to right itself. “How do you know you can trust me?”

She looked me in the eye and said, “Including you and me, how many people do you think know about what happened on the patio at the wedding? Besides Jake, that is. He doesn’t count.”

I thought for a second. “Four. Me, you, Grace and Emily.”

Without taking her eyes from mine she said, “Two.”

“Two? But what about—”

“The biggest gossip in school? What do you think I am? Stupid? Don’t get me wrong, I love Grace to pieces, but I couldn’t trust her with something like this.”

“And Emily?”

“Emily’s my best friend. She’s like my sister, but you don’t have to tell your sister everything, do you? Some things you need to keep to yourself.” She took a deep breath. “Look, after I took your advice and fixed my make-up, I went back to the reception, painted on a happy face and acted like everything was fine and dandy. I didn’t say anything to Emily because Grace was with her which would have guaranteed it would have gotten back to Mom and I couldn’t let it spoil her day. And I haven’t said anything to Emily since because ... Well, I just never really thought I needed to. Honestly, I’d rather just forget the whole thing. Jake hasn’t said or done anything since so hopefully it was a one-off.” She shrugged and I wondered if she was thinking about the same phrase involving leopards and spots that I was.

With another of those dazzling smiles, she continued, “And I know you haven’t said anything to anyone, which is how I know I can trust you.”

“How do you—”

“Because it would have been all over the school like a rash, faster than you can blink if you had. That’s how I know.”

I didn’t say anything for a while then, “No, I haven’t said anything to anyone. Not even my sister. And I promise I never will.”

“There’s no need to promise. I already know you won’t. You’re a good man, Paul Robertson. Everyone says so. And now I know so. I trust you. And I could use a friend I know I can trust. So ... Friends?”

She held out her hand to me. Without a moment’s thought and I took it and we shook to seal the deal. “Friends.”

“Bloody hell!” Kevin stopped dead in his tracks and nearly dropped his lunch tray. Billy, a few steps behind, almost ran into him.

“Hi, Kevin. Hi, Billy.” They both stared wordlessly before glancing from Clarissa to me and back again.

“Sit down, then. Your lunch will get cold.”

Without taking their eyes off Clarissa, Kevin and Billy sat and started eating.

“How’s the curry, Billy?” Clarissa asked. “I’ve never been brave enough to try it myself.”

“Er ... It’s ... It’s not bad. I’ve had worse. That place on the high street is pretty dodgy, isn’t it, Slim?”

“That it is, Bills,” I replied with a grin. Was that how I’d been? It was pretty funny to watch.

“Yes, I’d heard that,” Clarissa said. “If we want Indian we always go into Westmouth. There’s this one restaurant on the sea front that’s just fantastic.”

The world definitely hadn’t righted itself.


After we’d finished eating, Clarissa walked with me back to the common room, leaving Billy and Kevin to suddenly engage in some pretty animated whispering as we went. When we entered the common room, a wave of shocked silence washed across the area as all eyes turned to us. This, I wasn’t used to. I was used to pleasant anonymity. No one ever turned to look when I entered a room, let alone stop talking.

“Thanks for letting me sit with you and the guys. It was fun. Different, but fun. You’ll be in McCarthy’s class later?”

I nodded.

“Great. Wait for me after registration and I’ll walk with you since Grace and Emily don’t do maths.”

“Sure.”

“Great. See you later.” She touched my shoulder in a gesture of goodbye and strode over to some of her friends.

I glanced around the room at the people looking at me—most of whom quickly turned away and started whispering in their little groups. I shook my head to clear it and walked towards my usual corner where I could do some reading for Miss Pattison’s class, but I didn’t make it. I’d barely gone two steps when Kelly approached from the side and tapped my arm.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.