Small World - Cover

Small World

Copyright© 2011 by Wandering Lanes

Chapter 3

Jones and Blackie approached the walls of the city and were stopped that the gates by two goons that went by the name of Guards, once they took a look at the 'horse' they began licking their lips.

One Guard – Jones decided to call him Jerry – stood in the way of the gate with a halberd at the ready. The other one – Tom – reached up and held onto the reins, his hands were dangerously near the bit.

"Now what do we have here?" Tom asked as he checked Blackie over, "Seems like this was one of the horses stolen from the Duke. It looks like we have an outlaw here." He said with a grin.

"This horse is mine; I won him fair and square. And I'd suggest you be careful where you hold him, he bites." Jones said pointedly. 'What the hell are we going to do?' he sub-vocally passed onto Blackie.

'Let him try, I'm programmed to really ruin his day!' Blackie sent back

Jones smiled, "Tell you what Goodman, I'll let you ride my horse and you'll see if it's tame enough for you?" He said getting down from the saddle.

"Now you're talking sense, let an expert show you how a horse should be ridden." Tom gave a laugh and threw his leg over the saddle, only for Blackie to move away and Tom fell to the ground, Blackie turned his head and regarded the fallen man and gave a snort.

Tom got to his feet and called his partner over, "Hold the beast's head and I'll mount him."

Jerry came close and then Blackie pulled his lips back to show his teeth, Jerry moved back. "I don't think he'll let me." He said.

Tom snorted, "Don't be so daft! Just hold him and don't let him move." He demanded.

Jerry moved in close and reached up for the bridle, near the bit as Tom had done. Blackie moved his head so that Jerry's hand was now held by Blackie's mouth. "Hey, let go! Hey Captain he's got hold of my hand!" Jerry screamed out.

"Don't worry guard, Blackie's already eaten, he might take out a chunk but he won't eat it." Jones said with a laugh.

Captain Tom decided that while Blackie was involved with his colleague his time was now, he placed a foot in the stirrup and went to jump up, that was when the stirrup slipped and Tom's face hit the side of Blackie's body.

Tom's nose began to bleed and as he went to hold on to it Blackie moved forward, Tom's foot was still in the stirrup and so the horse began pulling the man along. In the meantime Jerry was forced to walk along with Blackie as his hand was firmly held in the horse's mouth.

"HELP! HELP MAIN GATE NEEDS HELP!" Jerry called out as they came up to the gates to attract the attention of the other troops.

There was soon a congregation of people watching this strange procession, Jerry apparently leading the way - backwards, as Blackie dragged Tom along the ground – the stirrup now back at it correct height but with Tom's foot trapped in it. And then there was Jones walking behind shaking his head.

"What's happening here, who called out for aid?" The man who spoke wore a highly decorated chest plate and his hat had an elaborate plume on it.

Blackie released Jerry's hand and giving a snort waved his head to the man. Jones stepped forward. "It seems these two wanted to steal my horse, I tried to persuade them not to but they just didn't listen." He said.

Tom had managed to extricate his foot, "Milord that isn't true, I believed this steed was one that had been stolen from the Duke, I needed to inspect it when that man there struck me from behind." He said with narrowing eyes and looked at Jones.

"If I did that, why did I bother to follow you into here? You man, tell your lord the truth." Jones said looking at Jerry and Blackie gave a snort and a whinny as warning.

Jerry looked down, "All I did was to try to hold the reins while the Captain mounted the horse, as I called out the horse moved and the Captain slipped onto the floor again, that man wasn't anywhere near at the time."

Blackie gave a snort when Jerry said the word 'again' but thankfully didn't do anything else.

The lord looked at Blackie and then walked around the horse, "It hasn't got the brand of the Duke's property, so it obviously isn't one of his. How did you get this beast?" He asked of Jones.

'You won me at a tourney from another knight' Blackie sent to Jones.

"I won him during a tourney; it was just me and another knight taking part." Jones said.

The lord nodded his head, "Yes, it would have to been a knight's horse; they don't let other riders use them. But is he trained for you? I hear they're difficult to control." He said watching Jones closely.

At another prompt from Blackie, Jones spoke out. "Blackie take three paces forward, two to the left one back and then three to the right." Of course Blackie followed the instructions perfectly, "I've never found him so." Jones said in a mild tone, but one that had a hint of steel in it.

"It is a magnificent beast; I wouldn't mind plying for it ... that is if you feel lucky?" The lord said his hand touching his sword.

Jones sighed, "I'm afraid that if I did that I'd be without a mount, and what use is a knight without his horse?"

"Oh but I insist. I have to have that beast in my stable. It would be a fair fight." The lord said while Jones noticed many of the troops behind him start to snigger.

"My lord, I have been travelling and am not at my best, would you like to brag that you defeated a tired and thirsty knight in an effort just to win a horse? Anyway I can't see what you are offering as your prize?" Jones said while Blackie just looked at him.

'Scout? What are you doing? You cannot afford to lose me at this stage. I forbid this.' Blackie said over the link.

'I must concur Scout; we cannot get into a local argument. Refuse him.' Hal spoke up.

"If you'll excuse me milord, I must just have a prayer to the gods for bringing me here." Jones said and bowed his head. 'Now listen here, I've been augmented to fight and how else can I ensure that they won't attack me in the middle of the night? If I lose Blackie then he can break out of the stable they'll keep him in and I'll meet up with him outside. I have to go through with this' Jones sub-vocalised to the two computers. 'Anyway I'll learn how good these people are in fighting' he added.

'I would advise caution when dealing with this man, I wouldn't put it pass him to cheat.' Hal said after a few seconds.

'I wouldn't trust him as far as I can throw him. But at the moment there is nothing I can think of. Blackie I want you to keep an eye out and do what you can to even the odds.' Jones said.

'You didn't have that man's hand in your mouth, it tastes terrible! But I'll do what I can.' Blackie said.

'Okay we're agreed then; I fight this lord and then find a tavern' "Amen." Jones finished and turned around.

"I've decided to meet you in this action, but if I win I want your armour and house." Jones said with a smile.

"So you think you have a chance in this, I must tell you that I am the champion of this town and have never lost." The lord said with a sneer.

"And I have never lost in a fair fight either, so this will be interesting ... where do we joust here or at some arena?" Jones asked looking around.

"Oh I think ... here will do." The lord said - while quickly drawing his sword and swinging it around to strike at Jones while he wasn't looking.

But Jones had been expecting this and was watching the lord with his peripheral vision and so he rolled away from the blow, his hand removing the sword from his own scabbard. "I see, so what rules are there in this, standard rules or none?" He asked getting smoothly to his feet and holding his sword ready.

"We've never bothered with the rules, anything goes as long as I win." The lord said.

"I see well then you don't mind if I try to even the odds. Blackie, watch and guard!" Jones finished in a louder voice.

The lord gave a mocking laugh, "You try to bluff me, and no horse can help you. Prepare to die." He said.

Jones shook his head, "I don't know what films you've been watching, but they don't help." He said as he drew his dagger, still watching the lord as they circled.

Jones noticed that the man was lazy with his sword, he might have claimed to have fought in a fair fight but he didn't know how to hold the sword properly. The lord gave a smile to his men and then assayed a thrust at Jones who easily turned the blade aside.

Then there was a flurry of strokes aimed at Jones' head all of which were just as simply deflected. Jones gave a smile; against his skill this man was useless!

Now Jones pressed forward, his blade flashing as he kept the lord's sword away from him and after a quick lunge he scored a line across the lord's face, he pulled away as the lord wiped a sleeve on his cheek, looking at the blood there.

"First blood to me, do you surrender?" Jones asked in the manner of a knight.

But the lord shook his head, "Oh no, you're going to die for that!" he said and began another attack which to most people looked threatening, but to Jones was merely feeble.

Jones allowed him to nearly hit and then stepped in marking the other cheek of the lord before moving back. "Two down do you want to try for three strikes?" Jones said as the surrounding crowd went silent for a moment.

The lord began to get angry and started a series of wild swings, which pushed Jones back towards the ranks. As they passed one of the men nearby stuck his foot out and tripped Jones who turned it into a roll and was back on his feet in an instant.

"I have to apologise for my men, they do have high spirits." The lord said although the smile on his face was forced.

Jones didn't reply but noticed that Blackie had managed to grab the offender by the tunic and had pulled him backwards from the throng. The lord made a feint and expected Jones to raise his sword up but there was a clang as the two swords met at waist height.

"You may have a grasp of defence, but you're not in your home town although I am." The lord said to Jones who remained quiet, after a few seconds the lord began pressing forward, pushing Jones back towards the men, some of whom had drawn daggers in preparation.

As Jones backed towards the group there was a neigh and then a cry as Blackie, who had backed up to them, brought his hind legs into use, imprinting horseshoe shapes on their backsides.

Jones only realised something was wrong when a knife went flying from behind him, his sword instinctively flicking around to deflect its flight. "Your men have no sense of honour, are you sure you're a knight?" He asked.

The lord snorted, "I'm better than a knight, and you're going to learn this." He said with a laugh.

"HOLD IN THE NAME OF THE DUKE!" a voice bellowed from behind them. Jones stepped back and lowered his sword but the lord swung at him while his guard was down, instantly Jones' sword came up and around, striking the aimed blade and breaking the lord's sword in two.

"I ORDERED YOU TO HOLD ... SIMON REPORT TO THE GUARD HOUSE." The owner of the voice broke through the ranks and had his fists on his hips. He was large, nearly a giant to Jones' point of view but seemed to be in charge.

"But I was winning, he would have..." The lord, Simon, protested.

"He would have sliced you from ear to groin, didn't you see how he was holding back. You are a disgrace to the school. Return to the Guard House ... NOW!" The giant said and then he looked to the group of soldiers who had circled the fight area. "Just what do you think you're doing? You are guards; now go back to your duty!" He said with a raised eyebrow.

Jones turned to the giant and brought his sword up in a salute. "Thank you, I didn't want to kill the boy but if he gave me no choice..." He kept quiet.

"Simon de-Vior was considered to be the best swordsman in this town; you are the first to have ever marked him, since his teachers of course. I am Sir Guy of Vior." The giant, Sir Guy (although he pronounced it as Gi) held out his hand.

"Greetings Sir Guy, I am Sir Jones of..." Jones paused he didn't know where to say he was from and then the name suggested to him, "Portsmouth." He finished.

Sir Guy frowned, "I have to admit that I've never heard of that town, whereabouts is it?" He asked.

Jones wasn't sure what to say to that question. "Oh, it's some distance away, I have to admit I haven't seen it for some time." He said trying not to tell a direct lie.

"Indeed, indeed. I heard that you prayed to your gods, tell me how many do you have?" Sir Guy asked and Jones could sense that there was a trap approaching.

He smiled and shook his head, "To tell you the truth Sir Guy, I want trying to work out the best way to leave the fight without hurting that lord Simon too much. I was just running through my options." Jones said.

Sir Guy nodded, "Your words are strange but I understand their meaning. I wonder if you would care to come to the church itself and spend a few minutes in true prayer." He said and Jones knew that this wasn't a request.

"Certainly Sir Guy, it's been some time since I confessed my sins." Jones said with a smile


Jones wasn't sure what he was expecting with the word 'church' but he didn't think it would be an old Cineplex, Sir Guy went through a revolving door and the first thing that struck Jones was that the air conditioning was still working!

"What is this place?" Jones asked looking at the foyer and seeing the place where the staff would sit ready to take the money and issue tickets, but now these were empty. He looked to where the plastic pick 'n' mix shelves were, but they were empty.

"This, my son, is a place of worship. In olden days people would flock to these places ... but for what reason we know not." This was spoken by a man wearing a robe, which was in dark red and had golden tassels draped around it.

Jones gathered himself and remembered where he was, "Your pardon, good sir priest. I have newly arrived in this town and Sir Guy..." Jones looked around but Sir Guy had vanished. "Was here, he said I should visit this church." He finished.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.