Shamus Journals
Chapter 86

Copyright© 2011 by terriblethom

By the time I got Stumpy settled down, Preacher was already in the cave. I saw Zeke coming down the hill in the pickup and waited until he joined us.

"Didn't take you guys long to get it opened up. I am almost afraid to go inside there, Harry. Knowing Hubba and how twisted he was, it's hard to tell what will be inside."

"I know what you mean, Zeke. I am not sure I really want to know what he has been hauling up here for so many years. I decided to let you go in with us since you have been straight with me. I was hoping you also might be able to shed some light on a few things for me."

"Ask away Harry, I won't lie to you about what I know about. I already told you we all decided to cooperate with you in any way we can."

"I'm not casting any aspersions on you or your people, Zeke. If I didn't trust you, I would have brought several squads of troops with me. Zeke, how long has your camp been under control of Hubba's people?"

"For about three years, Harry. At first he paid us for storing his stuff and the money was welcome. Then he started bringing in all these weirdos and they took over from our original people. Hell, they considered us their slaves and we had to wait on them hand and foot. They brought their own women and kids with them, and they even treated them like some kind of lower class people. They were all members of the same group from several states. They had all lived in the hills and acted like animals most of the time. By the time we figured out what was going on,, it was too late to stop it."

"How 'bout their women and kids? I mean why do they still want to stay on?"

"Most of them are young and have little babies. Since their men disappeared, they have been happy for the first time since they been here, I think. I know I shouldn't ask, but I have a feeling you know what happened to them."

"Zeke, let me just say they won't ever be coming back here. They made a very bad mistake, and it cost them more than they thought it would."

"Harry if you're saying what I think you are, then thanks from all of us. The medical supplies will last for years, and the food will feed everyone here for years. If we get to keep some of the vehicles, it would help a great deal. I give you my word if anything like this happens again, I will let the sheriff know immediately and let him handle it. I think it's time my people became part of the community again."

"Zeke, I suggest you talk to Avery and let him send you to a good attorney. There are several lumber companies that are interested in the timber rights on your land. That could bring you and your people here a lot of revenue, if it's handled right. It's something to think about."

Before we could talk anymore I saw the lights coming on in the cave. God the place looked like an underground bunker, from what I could see from the entrance. I heard a sharp intake of breath from Stumpy and Zeke almost simultaneously. Preacher came to the entrance and waved us in. We walked into the cave and the sight before my eyes almost took my breath away. Along the wall in front of us were literally hundreds of classic cars and trucks from the fifties on up. Hubba had to have been an avid collector or he had a whole bunch of car thieves working for him.

"Harry, there are enough weapons down at the other end to stock the Army of any country. There are tanks and jeeps and every kind of transport you can think of. Most of those look like they were all surplus and have been completely rebuilt from the frame up. Hell Harry, they all look like they are new. The arms are from about six or seven countries if the stencils mean anything. What would anyone want with all of this stuff? Oh, and there are hundreds of dead bodies in a big hole in the floor by the fuse box. I almost fell in it walking around the area. Don't worry Harry, they are just bones and look like they have been there for years."

"Thanks Preacher, did you see anything that looked like an office or any paperwork? I would love to find out if there was a complete inventory I could get my hands on."

"Nothing yet Harry, but this cave goes back under the mountain for I don't know how far. I think we need to call in some help to explore all of it. That is, if it's ok with Zeke and his people."

"I don't have a problem with you all bringing more of your people in. Hell, we will help all we can too, if you need us."

"Thanks Zeke, but until I am sure this area is totally safe, I want professionals in here only. I don't want to chance any of your people getting killed if they hit a booby trap or something."

"Never thought of that, Harry. Ok, we will set the flares for you to bring more of your people in. I'll put one of the women in a truck to haul them down here as they land. If you need me for anything, you know where I am."

"Ok. Here's how this is going to run, Preacher. I want Stumpy back at the base to monitor all radio coming from here. Preacher, you run this end of the operation. We will bring Masters' and Anderson's teams in to help you get a handle on what's in here. Preacher, your team will still be on body guard duty for now. If this plays out like I think it will, we have just closed down one of the biggest smuggling operations on the west coast and recovered all the goods. Preacher, your priority will be to make sure there are no booby traps and to find the paperwork on all of this stuff, if it's here. I think he probably kept it all here because this was his personal stash and he felt safe here. Tell the teams to bring side arms only. I don't want to cause a panic with them getting off the choppers combat ready. Ok Stumpy, get on the radio and get the ball rolling. You and I will catch a ride with the last chopper out. Tell them to bring cameras and plenty of pens and paper in case we don't find any paperwork."

I watched as Stumpy went out to use the radio we brought with us and then turned to Preacher.

"How come you're turning this over to me, Harry? I mean I'm glad to get it, but I figured you would want to run the show."

"Preacher, this is in your hands because it's gonna be a pain and you have the lists of what we are hunting for. I am going home to join Tran and the girls for supper. If you don't think you can handle it, I can let Stumpy take over until I can get here tomorrow."

"If you tried to pull a stunt like that, I would hit you right in the nose. Seriously though, what if a lot of this stuff isn't stolen? What am I supposed to do with it?"

"Preacher, if it isn't listed as stolen and was purchased legally, then Zeke and his people just hit the jackpot, didn't they?"

"God Harry, if some of those cars are not stolen, do you think he would sell any of them?"

"That's between you and him. All I want is the arms and any stolen stuff. You know what we are looking for so it will be your job to get it out. I will need to know by morning, just how many trucks we will need to haul all the stuff away that we will be taking."

I turned and went out the cave door. I looked back over my shoulder and Preacher was just standing and staring at all the cars sitting in the cave. I knew what he was feeling, because I had seen a couple I would love to own myself. Hell, maybe I would have a chat with Zeke, if they weren't stolen. When I got outside Stumpy was still talking on the radio so I waited 'till he was done to see what he had to say.

"Harry, they are on the way. Maybe we better walk up the hill to meet the choppers so we don't miss our ride. Do you think Preacher will be ok for about ten minutes by himself?"

"I don't think he will have any problems. Besides, he will be soaked by the time the other two teams get here."

"Soaked?"

"Yea, from drooling all over himself over those cars."

"Harry, I can't say as I blame him. Man those things are some of the most beautiful Classic Cars I have seen in my life. Did you see some of those old trucks?"

I just looked at him smiling to himself and walked away. We all remembered those cars because they were from our time and generation. Yeah, we had all missed out on our childhoods by going to war so young, so I guess they both had a right to be admiring the cars we had seen in that cave. By the time we got to the top of the hill, one of the Whispers was already setting down in the circle of flares. When Masters and his group got out, we got in and headed back to the base. I left a few instructions there for Preacher and grabbed my Jeep and headed for the cabin.

I stopped by the small pond and called the Director to tell him what we had found. I could tell by his voice he was happy about it. I told him what would be coming at him and he replied that he had extra personnel he would call in to check serial numbers. He also would see if he could find out any additional information we might need. He also said there was a big stack of blank titles already delivered to the base for my use if I needed them. We talked for about fifteen minutes more, and then I hung up and called Avery. I filled him in on what was going on. He said he couldn't miss this, and that he was going to drive out there and see it all for himself. I told him he better check with Zeke first and gave him the number to call. I had finished all my calls and headed for the cabin and something to eat.

When I pulled, up the girls all came running out and about smothered me with attention. Tran was standing on the porch wearing a big smile at their antics. I was finally able to get out of the Jeep, but Dina and Dana proceeded to chew me out about how filthy I had let their Jeep get. I just laughed at them saying that it would get a lot dirtier before the winter was over. Boy, wrong thing to say as they then told me that I wouldn't be allowed to drive it in the winter because the salt might make it rust. I got to the porch with Tran's laughter in my ears. I sat down and explained to them that Tran would be driving it and if they wanted to go somewhere, they had to use it because it had four wheel drive to get up and down the driveway. Dina and Dana both didn't like it but finally agreed with me. Sandra was smiling at them and me as I talked. When they went back into the house, I got a few little extra hugs from my granddaughter and from the way she was acting, I knew something was up.

"Ok kiddo, you want to tell me what you are fishing for?"

She and Tran both broke out in laughter at my metaphor. I was looking at both of them with some trepidation, because when both of them were plotting together, I usually came out with the short end of the stick.

"Grandpa, I decided to start on the family painting on the back side of the fireplace. I spent the morning drawing in the outline of it but I need to go to the art store again to get some more paints. I kind of thought we could all eat at Tran's restaurant tonight since we have to go to town. Is that ok with you? Tran also wants to check in to see how things are at the restaurant since she hasn't been there for awhile."

"Wellll... , since you put it that way, do I have enough time to grab a shower before we go?"

"Yippee, yes, if you hurry it up and don't take all evening. I want to get to town while it's still daylight out for a change. Since we'll be taking your personal Jeep, I need the keys to make sure there is enough room in the back for the stuff I need to buy."

"My personal Jeep?"

"Yeah, you know, the one Jimmy just delivered. I think we need to give it a test drive to see how it handles. Jimmy told me some of the things he did to it, and I can't wait to try out the harness seat belts he invented to fit us girls."

I just looked at her in silence since I had no idea what she was talking about. I didn't get a chance to question her as she was pulling me out of the chair to get started on my shower so we could go. Tran followed behind me as I went to our room, shaking my head in puzzlement. I stripped down and headed for the shower, still wondering what she was talking about. Come to think of it, I hadn't got to talk to Jimmy much about it other than what he told me about it being faster than any other Power Wagon. My curiosity was starting to kick into gear as I got in the shower. I would be almost willing to bet they heard my yell all the way to Sean's when the cold water hit my back. Oh hell, that's it, time to put a bigger water heater in because of all the women in the house. I couldn't go through this too many more times because the shock was too much on my poor old body.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.