Shamus Journals
Chapter 71

Copyright© 2011 by terriblethom

I woke up from a dead sleep wide awake. I looked over at the clock and it was a little after four in the morning. For some reason I was excited, and I knew I would not be able to go back to sleep. I got up, kissing Tran on the cheek as I went to get my shower. I didn't cut myself shaving this morning, which I took as a good omen for the day. I went downstairs and got the coffee going and started laying out the stuff for breakfast. I decided I would fix eggs, ham, and grits for breakfast this morning. I was humming to myself before I remembered the radio in the kitchen and turned it on.

The first thing I heard was the weather report, and the announcer said it would be a perfect sunny day with the high about seventy eight. I was smiling even wider after I heard that. The last time I had gotten married it rained for an overwhelming three days straight. It was a most miserable wedding and a short honeymoon, because she had caught a cold from the air conditioning in the church. She was sick and her bitching ruined it all as far as I was concerned. I got the ham and grits made and put them in the oven to keep warm. I remembered when I used to hate grits, but an old fella in Florida had taught me how to garnish them to make them edible to a northerner.

I beat the eggs to make scrambled eggs because they went further with all the people I was feeding. I started making toast when George came into the kitchen, asking if he could help in any way.

"I got it pretty well under control but if you want, you can start making the toast. How did you like playing with Sandra and Jimmy last night?"

"Harry, those two have got to be the greatest musicians I have ever had the honor of listening to. When Sandra announced we three would be playing the last song together, I almost ran and hid. I have never been so scared in my life. I heard two songs last night I would love to learn to play. Do you think Jimmy would teach me Sandra's Love Song so I can play it for my daughter? I think she would love to hear her dad play it for her. The other one is the short one Sandra played that was so happy that everyone was tapping their feet to the melody."

"George, I think they would consider it an honor to teach them to you. I suggest you tell them why you want to learn those two songs so they understand why it means so much to you. I think you will have to sit down and tell them both about your family and your promise. I will almost guarantee you they will teach them to you if you tell them the truth. George, I lost my wife and two daughters many years ago to the VC in a mortar attack. I had just got the approval that morning to send them to the states. I had come in from a mission and when I caught a hop to the orphanage and found out what happened, I was mentally wrecked. I am not going to tell you what I did but if it hadn't been for Preacher and the rest of my team, I might still be over there killing anyone in black pajamas. It took me many years to come out of my shell and realize life goes on, regardless of how much misery I was in. I had good friends to help and I became almost normal, and the nightmares stopped after a few years. The only thing good to come out of my second marriage was Sandra's mother. I still hurt because I wasn't there when she needed me. I won't make that mistake with Sandra or the other girls. I will be there for them, even if it costs me my life. I feel the same way about Tran and believe me, she feels the same way about me."

"Yea, we got a taste of her temper last night. I think she would have broke a club over our heads, as mad as she was when she saw us holding you. I don't think I have ever seen a woman as mad as she was."

We both got a good laugh out of that comment. I looked up at the clock and it was almost five thirty. I sent George up to beat on doors, telling everyone it was time to get up and start getting ready to go. He left with a smile on his face saying it would be a pleasure and it was too bad I didn't have a loudspeaker in the house to play reveille. I just laughed and started cooking the eggs for everyone's breakfast. I just finished cooking the eggs when the girls came in. They were still about half asleep but they helped set the table. I noticed everyone had either suitcases or seabags, which they all were stacking by the front door. I didn't know it at that time but I was about to get lost in all the activity.

I had just finished packing my suitcase when there was a knock at the door and Sandra asked if she could speak to me. I told her to come in, wondering what this was about.

"Grandpa, I need you to promise me something before we go with Tran."

"Honey, you know I would do anything for you if it's in my power to do so."

"Grandpa, we, as in all the women and kids, are taking the first chopper. I want you to wait here until we leave.

"Sandra, that's an old belief that dates back to the stone age. Do you actually think it will make a difference how much we love each other if we talk before the wedding?"

"No I don't, but we all voted on it and decided we would try to keep it as traditional as possible. Please just go with it Grandpa, for me?"

"Ok, I'll go along as long as it doesn't create any security problems for the team."

"We already got it all set up so there's no worry there. Also, I want you to be sure to not carry that cannon. It shows too much and everyone will be able to see it at the wedding. Wear one of your other guns that can be hidden in a shoulder holster, please Grandpa, for me?"

With that she gave me a kiss saying she would see me later. She left and I put the fifty and the Walthers in my suitcase and put the Glock in my shoulder holster. That girl is just too smart for her own good, I was thinking as there came another knock at the door. This time it was Preacher and he had coffee for both of us.

"I was picked by the women to baby sit you while we wait for your transportation, Harry. You don't seem very excited for someone about to take the step into the deep end. Say, do you think Monk will have some good food at this little party?"

"Preacher, the last time I checked everything was all set up. We will be eating buffet style at the reception. Now quit trying to cheer me up because I am just fine. Jeesh, you're sounding like you did when you fell for that little Canadian girl in the hospital. Just do me a favor and give me a little peace and quiet, will you?"

He busted out laughing and I just grinned at him while sitting down on the edge of the bed, thinking about the old team. I wondered how many of them were still alive and where they were all at now. Preacher was the only one I had run into after all these years until Tran told me about Monk and Judy. I couldn't believe he had three daughters and they were all living in Vegas and working in one of Tran's casinos. Man, all the stuff Monk and I had done when we were single would have made a preacher blush. I had known he had a soft spot for Judy but I had never dreamed they would get married and settle down and raise a family. I had to admit that back in the old days she was beautiful and looked like her Italian family. Man, those were the good old days, I was thinking when Butter stuck his head in the door and said my chopper was ready.

When I went downstairs I got another big surprise when I saw who was waiting on me. Andy, Shorty, Jimmy, Beau, Kit and Danny were standing at the bottom of the steps with big smiles on their faces. I wondered where Sean was and asked Preacher. I was told he went with his family because none of them had ever ridden in a helicopter and they were scared to death. We all piled in and belted up, then we were off. Since there was so much noise as usual, we didn't try to talk among ourselves. I sat back and dozed off, wondering what other surprises were in store for me today. I must have been a physic in my earlier life because the next little shock happened about an hour and a half later when the pilot feathered out to land the chopper. I looked out and didn't see anything but desert and scrub cactus. What the hell!

They didn't slide the door open until the pilot completely shut the chopper down.

"Where the hell are we? This sure isn't Vegas, Preacher."

I was reaching for my Glock when the door slid open from the outside, and Monk was standing there with a huge grin on his ugly puss.

"Welcome back to our old playground, Harry."

He busted up laughing at the look on my face as I realized where we were. It was the old Mustang Ranch but I could see it was now a modern resort with a big pool and cabins in a circle around it. I was speechless, wondering why we were here instead of the casino where we were supposed to be. I tried three times to speak but nothing came out. Monk must have took pity on me because he started to explain why were here instead of Vegas.

"Harry, Tran bought the old place at an IRS auction and had it tore down. She set it up as a wedding resort for the more affluent customers, so they could have privacy while they spent their honeymoons in the middle of the desert at a first rate motel and casino. This whole place is now empty just for you and her to get married. We decided the security problems would be easier out here instead of in the middle of Vegas in an open casino. There is only one road in and out, and I have men on roving patrols around the clock. There are also hidden cameras that cover the whole perimeter as well as motion detectors. This place is better protected than Fort Knox, so relax and take your hand off that pistol before you shoot yourself.

I dropped my hand, feeling like a fool, but I was starting to get pissed because I hadn't been informed about any of this shit. I jumped down and headed for the main building where I could see the girls standing. Monk and Preacher must have seen the look on my face because they both grabbed me at the same time, pulling me to the side.

"Dammit Harry, don't go off half cocked. This was a last minute change when we found out the place was due to be remodeled next week. We thought this would be perfect for everyone because it will be easier to keep tight security on. Tran didn't know either until Judy met her at the chopper just like I did with you. Now get that damned temper of yours under control before you do something stupid and ruin the whole day. If it relieves your mind any she was as upset as you are. She made sure I was the one to meet you because she said and I quote; "Harry is gonna whip someone's ass when he realizes where we all are. Monk, if he goes off, I want you to be there to calm him down before he shoots someone."

I looked at him in shock and just shook my head because I couldn't think of anything to say. I just stood there thinking back with not so good thoughts about this place. I wondered if Tran was having the same thoughts as I was when Sandra ran up to me with a big smile on her face. I got control of myself so I wouldn't upset her with my temper, because she didn't know anything about our past here. To her, this was just another adventure with her new family.

"Grandpa, this place is great. There is a pool, a huge pinball and arcade for us kids and they have a great big go cart track out back we can drive on. We will all have something to keep us busy while you and Tran have your honeymoon. You wait till you see your cabin. It has its own hot tub and everything."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.