Shamus Journals
Chapter 70

Copyright© 2011 by terriblethom

I was still standing in the kitchen holding Tran and sipping my scotch when Dina came in looking for us. She came over to me and Tran with a big smile on her face.

"Don't be ashamed because you are crying, Uncle Harry. I cried for my mom and dad but it got better. Will you please come back in and sit with me and my sister and listen to the rest of the music?"

I smiled at her and picked her up, hugging her to me. I was thinking to myself I had to be the most blessed man in Nevada with the family I had. Tran smiled at us and we went back in and sat back down on the couch. Dina stayed in my lap while Dana crawled back into Tran's. I looked up at Sandra and immediately noticed she had tears running down her cheeks as she lovingly played the music she was so proud of. I looked at Jimmy standing in the shadows and he had tears running down his cheeks too. I knew then it wasn't just the music but the loving way it was played by a person who loved to play it. I now realized what Sandra meant with what she said about the violin. She knew how to play it in her head without any sheet music to guide her. Right then I made up my mind I was going to rent a recording studio and an orchestra, and let them record all the music they loved so much.

I looked around the room and to a man, and even Carly and her kids, they were all captured by the beauty of the music. I saw many of the team members crying freely as they listened to her play. This was better than any other music I had ever heard in my fifty-seven years and I had listened to everything over the years. Sandra played another half hour before finally calling it quits, and everyone was clapping and cheering. I even heard clapping coming from the guards outside the cabin. Jimmy came forward and they both took several bows and then Sandra said the coffee was on and they would play one more song together with George leading before everyone left.

I looked around and spotted George with a surprised look on his face at her announcement. He evidentially didn't know anything about this so I just waited to see what he would do. He went directly up to Sandra and Jimmy and they started talking among themselves as everyone else headed for the kitchen. Tran got up and went in with Carly behind her to hand out whatever it was they had bought or made for everyone. I had no idea they had even made or gotten anything for this shindig tonight. Hell, I hadn't even thought about after entertainment refreshments. I hadn't realized there would be so many people come to listen to the music.

I got up and went up to where the three of them were talking and caught a little of the conversation. To me it sounded like George was afraid to play whatever it was they had decided on.

"Sandra, I don't know if I can do it or not. Playing the piece you taught me at the base and doing it in front of everyone is an entirely different situation. I know it's not very long, but what if I screw it up or something?"

"George, you can't screw up such a small seven note piece. I showed you how to place your fingers and how to tilt the bow for the right pitch, so just close your eyes and pretend it's just you playing. Jimmy and I will be here to back you up with the harder part of the composition so don't worry about it. You'll be just fine. Just start it out and we will come in after the third note. You just keep playing the same seven notes over and over and I promise you it will be fine. Now go get a drink and calm down a little. You're making me nervous with all your worry when there's no reason for it."

He sort of shrugged and headed for the kitchen as I stood there watching.

"Well Grandpa, did you like the new songs I played tonight? I think the one Jimmy wrote for me was beautiful."

"I loved hearing both of you play and you both make me very proud. Jimmy, the song was beautiful and so were the others you composed. Sandra, I think your mother would have been blubbering almost as much as I was at the beauty of the music you played. I have to tell both of you, I am very honored to be able to claim that you are both a part of my family. I have a feeling you will both be asked to play at several of the military bases when word of this gets out. These men will brag about this to every soldier they ever meet in the future. Now, both of you get something to drink and take a break. I know you're both tired and remember we have another long day tomorrow. At least you both will get to ride in a helicopter all the way to Vegas tomorrow."

They both smiled at each other and headed for the kitchen and I went out the front door to have a cigarette and think about tomorrow a little. I wanted a cup of coffee but I snagged the scotch on the way out. I sat down in a chair in the dark so as not to outline myself in the light and lit up, sipping the scotch. I heard several of the guards talking about how great those kids could play, and almost to a man they said they wish they would tour some of the bases so others could hear them. I just smiled to myself thinking how proud I was of the two of them. I wondered down the line what Dina and Dana would end up playing with the two teachers they had coaching them. I would be willing to bet if they really wanted to learn, they would both be good at playing whatever they decided on. I watched as Preacher and another man came out and sat on the top step. From the conversation I was overhearing, we had problems right off the bat.

"Preacher, I know you trust this Harry person but he doesn't know my people like I do. If they can't sneak up on these hillbillies then it can't be done. He seems to think they are the greatest woodsmen in the world from what you're telling me. Preacher, they are just red necks playing at being survivalists."

"Cap, I know that's what you think but you aren't from the woods like these people. Hell, from what you told me, this is your first command. The way you're thinking you will lose half your men in the first insertion. I know Harry and believe me when I say he knows what he is talking about. He was doing this before you were in diapers."

"That may be but I am in charge of my men, not him, and he doesn't tell me how to handle my people. I will do it by the book and no civilian is going to tell me how to do team insertions. I will drop them off choppers and let them infiltrate as they see fit. Those people won't know my men are there."

I sat and listened to this asshole, who was typical of all officers with no experience. And although I didn't want to interfere, I knew if he did it the way he was planning he would lose his teams before they went a hundred feet toward the camp. I decided I was going to put a stop to this before he got some good men killed by being too stupid to listen to anyone's advice.

"Captain, in case you didn't know it I am your boss, civilian or not. Now, as of this moment you are relieved of duty and will report back to Bragg. I will write a full report of how damn stupid you are. It's officers like you that got so many men killed in Nam. You may be a Captain but you have no common sense and no experience. Let me clue you in a little before you leave tonight. Those hillbillies, as you call them, were born and raised in places that you wouldn't believe. They can stalk and kill a deer without it even knowing anyone is near. They live in woods and so far back in the hills you would get lost in an hour. This particular camp has been supplied with everything they need to wage war anywhere, and you can bet they are good at it. If you send the men in the way you were going to, you would never even find their bodies. They would all be killed before they went a hundred feet into those woods. If you want to argue with me, I will call the Director right now and let you talk to him about the chain of command here. Your choice."

Before he could say anything Preacher spoke up, trying to keep the enlisted men from hearing us argue.

"Captain, that's Harry Hanson and he ran Special Ops in Nam for almost three tours. If he says that's how it will be, you can bet he knows what he is talking about. Now what I would like to know is why a RA Captain is in command of Special Ops Teams to begin with. I hate to tell you, but you just shot your career in the ass once he writes that report."

"My uncle pulled some strings so I would have some experience on my record. He is a Congressman in the State of Kentucky. As for me being relieved, it can't be ordered by a civilian, least of all one who is afraid to move out of the shadows so he can be seen by his betters."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.