Shamus Journals - Cover

Shamus Journals

Copyright© 2011 by terriblethom

Chapter 51

When I got back to town, I went by the shop. The gate was closed and locked, so I headed for Doris and Jimmy's house. I pulled up in front and honked the horn. Sandra came running out and climbed into my unit.

"Hey, Grandpa, I see you made it back in time to go to dinner. I think we're all going to enjoy this evening. I know I'm looking forward to it."

"I think I am too, sweetie. By the time we get back to the cabin, Mark and the girls should be there. Do you think Dina will have a dress that will fit you?"

"I've got news for you grandpa, we already found me one. She also has a pair of shoes that fit me. We're supposed to pick Jimmy up on our way to the restaurant. He went out and bought a brand-new suit, just for the occasion. He is really looking forward to going. He told me that this was the first time he has been invited out to dinner for over three years. He was really excited about going with us."

I didn't say a word, but I could see she was really excited about him going out with us. I figured it was the least I could do to repay him for taking such good care of Sandra when I wasn't around. When we got to the cabin, Mark and the girls hadn't arrived yet. We went in, and I headed for the coffee pot and she went to her bedroom. I heard the shower come on. I brewed a pot of coffee and sat down at the table. I heard the girls coming up the steps before they ever got into the house. They were both yelling about eating Chinese as they headed for their bedrooms. Mark came into the kitchen, grabbed a cup of coffee and sat down next to me.

"Well Harry, looks like we're in for it now. I guess I better go get my suit on. That's all those two talked about the whole way home. Is Sandra bringing Jimmy with her?"

"Yeah, he went out and bought a new suit, just for the occasion. I will pick him up on our way to the restaurant. I think he is as excited as Sandra is."

I watched as Mark went upstairs to get ready to go. I finished my coffee and headed that way myself.

I got a quick shower and shave then grabbed my dark blue suit. I dug in the dresser and got a clean white shirt. After getting dressed I made sure to grab my ID and pistol before going back downstairs. With all the enemies I had made, I decided to carry my gun. I didn't know if Mark would, but I was for the protection of these kids while we were out. I sat down and grabbed another cup of coffee, and relaxed, waiting for them to finish getting ready. First down the steps were Mark's girls. Sandra was right behind them, and I hardly recognized her. I almost had a heart attack, because she looks so much like her mother. She came over to me and curtsied, smiling as she did so.

"Honey, you look absolutely beautiful. Your mother would be very proud of you. If you were about 35 years older I would marry you."

"Thank you, Grandpa, I love you too. Do you really think I looked nice in this?"

"I would say you're probably one of the most beautiful young ladies I have ever seen. If you're not careful, I may buy you a whole wardrobe of dresses."

"Oh no you won't either! I like my blue jeans and flannel shirts, thank you."

"Dina, you and Dana look really really nice. With you two, your dad won't ever find a girlfriend. She would have to be really pretty to take his eyes off of you two."

We all piled out the door and headed for the vehicles. I set the alarm as I went out. Since we were going to pick up Jimmy, Mark was following us. When we got to Jimmy's house he came running out in his new suit. I could not believe the difference in him. He looked like he just stepped out of an Ivy League school. He got into the unit with us and we headed out for the restaurant. We both found parking spots right in front. I introduced him to Mark and the girls, and we all went inside. It seems that I had been outsmarted again by the girls; they already had a large table reserved for us. Jimmy helped each of the girls with their seats and then seated himself. The waitress came over and gave us all menus.

"Well girls since I'm paying you get to choose whatever you want. Just remember you have to eat what you order."

I just sat back and smiled as they discussed what they were going to order for supper. Mark had a big grin on his face the whole time. When the waitress came back, every one of them ordered moo go gai pan. Of course they all had to have chopsticks. I just sat back and grinned at the thought of them eating with chopsticks. I knew Sandra and I knew how, but I didn't know if the rest of them did. Well, I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I was sitting there drinking my tea, when the two figures that walked through the door almost caused me to choke. It was Tran and Doris all dressed to the nines. I knew right then and there, three little girls were going to be in the doghouse big time.

Of course they came over and sat down next to the girls. I didn't say a word at the time, but I just knew it was going to hit the fan when we got home. I looked over at Mark, and he was avoiding my gaze. I knew right then and there he knew all about it. If it wasn't for Sandra, I would have gotten up and left. I sat and pretended that they weren't there for Sandra's sake. It was all I could do to hold my temper under control. I would try, but wasn't going to guarantee that it would last. When the food was served I sat and ate and didn't say a word to anyone. I finished up eating with regular utensils. When I noticed Sandra and Jimmy were done eating I told them both it was time to go. Sandra didn't look very happy about leaving so early, but I wanted to get out of there. I dropped Jimmy back off at his place and we went home.

When we got now Sandra went to her room, and I headed for the kitchen. I was sitting at the table when she came back downstairs dressed in her nightclothes.

"Grandpa, I didn't know they were going to be there, honestly. If I had known I wouldn't have asked you to go. Jimmy told me that he didn't even know his Aunt was coming. I think he was as surprised as you were, but not as much as I was. I know it ruined your meal, Grandpa, but it ruined mine too. I was really looking forward to our dinner tonight."

"Honey, I know that it wasn't your fault. I could see that from the look on your face when they walked in. I do know the two little girls that are in big trouble when they get home. I think maybe Mark knew about it too, because he wouldn't even meet my eyes at the table. I promise you, when we go to Columbus, we will go out to a Thai restaurant that I know of. The owner is a real good friend of mine. Your mom and I used to eat there all the time. I think he will be very happy to meet you."

"Grandpa, please don't be mad at me about what happened tonight. I would never pull anything like that on you after I gave you my word."

"Don't worry, honey, I am not mad at you. We will do the auction this weekend, and then we're out of here for a week. I don't know about you, but I'm tired, let's go to bed. We have to get up real early in the morning again. I love you sweetheart, goodnight."

I watched as she went up to bed, set the coffee pot and went to bed myself. I woke up the next morning still in a bad mood from last night. I went down turned on the coffee pot and went back up to take my shower. I hadn't heard Mark or the girls come in, so I didn't know if they were there or not. I woke up Sandra, and told her to get ready. I got my coffee in my go cup and waited on Sandra to come down. I looked out front and Marks unit wasn't in the yard. When Sandra came down, I told her we were eating at McDonald's again.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.