Shamus Journals - Cover

Shamus Journals

Copyright© 2011 by terriblethom

Chapter 37

My God! I still couldn't believe I had found my granddaughter among all these poor children. I was going to have to readjust my whole way of thinking and living. I would have to remember I had to think about someone besides myself for a change. The shock of my daughter's death still hadn't set in yet, but I knew it would. To die in a filthy hospital leaving her daughter must have been hard on her. I remember how independent and proud she was when she turned 18. I still remember taking her out to celebrate her birthday and she got drunk on one mixed drink. We laughed about it for months afterwards. Sandra, this was the first time I had ever heard her name since she was born. I looked over at her, sound asleep with her head in her arms, and wondered how much horror she had been through and seen, trying to find me. I knew if I ever found out some worthless adult had molested her, I would hunt him down if it took every cent I had. How can one so little be so sweet with everything she had gone through? It was almost light outside when I heard the first chopper coming in. I woke Sean up and told him I was catching a ride out with Sandra on it, and that he would be in charge until Mark came in with the reporters. I had some phone calls to make and couldn't do it here.

He looked at her sleeping, and smiled and wished me good luck. I waited till I saw the chopper with a sling on the bottom coming in and I woke her.

"Come on, we are catching a ride out of here right now."

I ran over to where the chopper was disgorging troops and waved it down. The pilot settled it on the ground and I helped her inside. I put the head phones on and told him where to set down and let us off at. He gave me the thumbs up and we were airborne. I was looking down and saw a long line of people walking into the valley down the old logging road. Some were women but others looked like reporters because they were all carrying cameras and equipment. I had to laugh thinking about the unaccustomed exercise they would all get carrying all that junk.

The pilot set us down where I told him to, and when we were out and away he took off, heading back to Nellis. I saw Butch immediately with about two dozen troopers. We walked over to him and I told him I wanted one of his men to take us to the motor pool. He looked at Sandra but other than raising his eye brows, he never said a word. We got in the car and took off with the lights on. We passed Mark coming in and I don't think he even recognized me. We pulled up at the shop and my unit and Jeep was sitting out front. We went inside and since it was so early, only Shayne was there doing paper work.

"Hello Harry, who's your friend?"

"This is my granddaughter, Sandra. I need the keys to my personal Jeep. I am going to stay out of radio contact for a while so you haven't seen me today."

"The Sheriff just dropped off your unit. I will pull it inside out of sight. I suggest you turn your cell off too. I have already had a dozen calls from different news agencies looking for you. Seems you're a hero again. The Governor has already had one news conference this morning naming you and the State Police the heroes of the hour for finding all those children. The radio room has been swamped with reporters trying to get to see you. My wife said they are pulling their hair out with all the calls already this morning."

"Thanks for the tip. We will go straight to my cabin from here. They better not try to walk up there or I will have them arrested for trespassing."

"I don't think you have to worry about that, Harry. Nobody would tell them where you lived or anything else about you. Doris has already called everyone saying if we said anything we would all lose our jobs. I don't know of anyone that wants to get on her bad side."

We both had a good laugh at that one. I walked out to my Jeep still holding on to Sandra's hand. When we climbed into the Jeep, her eyes were so big they looked like dinner plates.

"Sorry to rush you around like this but I need to stay low for a while or I will get hounded to death. I think you are going to love your new home. I will fix you a big breakfast as soon as we get there. I think Dina has some clothes that will fit you until we can go shopping to get you a whole new wardrobe."

"Grandpa, will you please slow down a little? I have been two years trying to find you so we don't have to do everything in one day. I just want a hot shower and some clean clothes. The food can wait till after I have that. You don't have to spend a lot of money on me for clothes and stuff. I haven't had much for years so it doesn't bother me to wear hand me downs until we can go shopping. I have learned to do without and it doesn't bother me anymore. I am happy I finally found you after looking so long. I bet Mom's smiling right now up in heaven seeing us together. I did what she wanted, but you have to know that I don't expect you to try to spoil me. I just want a roof over my head and food on a regular basis. I will work to earn everything you get me because I am not lazy."

"Sandra, finding you means more to me than anything else. I shudder to think what would have happened if you hadn't found me. They would have shipped you back to Sonora because you don't have any papers. I promise you right now, as long as I am alive, you will have anything your heart desires. I have a lot to make up for and you are just part of it. I will have your mom's body brought back up here for you if you want. If I had known, I would have come and gotten you both without any hesitation."

"Mom was happy working with the people down there. I was the only loose end for her, and she was powerless to help me other than to tell me to find you. I have looked for a long time and it was hard for me to not be discouraged as I had to eat garbage to live sometimes. I was one of the lucky ones because I wasn't molested like a lot of the girls were. I remembered everything Mom taught me and believe me it saved me a couple of times. She told me she would always watch over me until I found you. When I was about to give up, I could hear her telling me to keep going because I was closer than I thought. When I saw you last night, I couldn't believe my search was finally over. Now I just want to be a little girl again and let someone besides me make all the decisions. I want you to promise me if I get on your nerves or become a pain to you that you won't throw me away. I just want someone to love me for a change, Grandpa."

"I promise you here and now, I will never throw you away or stop loving you. If we have problems we will talk and work them out so we both can be happy. When everything settles down in the next two weeks, we will fly to Columbus and get the papers. I will not only be your guardian, but I will also adopt you as my own. What about your father? Won't he want you to come and stay with him?"

"Mom put those papers in the box too. He signed away any rights he had so he wouldn't have to pay child support. Mom told me everything before she died, and she also said to tell you that you were right about him being a moocher and a leech. I don't remember him at all, and Mom always said I would have a better life when I found you. That's all I want, Grandpa, a happy home I won't have to leave because I am no longer welcome."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.