Shamus Journals - Cover

Shamus Journals

Copyright© 2011 by terriblethom

Chapter 28

I was sitting drinking my first cup when it hit me. I hadn't called Tran to see if she liked the little car. If for some reason Doris hadn't delivered it, I was going to give the whole surprise away. I decided I would wait till I got done with the governor's big press conference. I got my go cup and locked the cabin, set the alarm, and cranked my unit. Yes, I checked it first, and since I had the other problem, Doris had made a few changes to protect me from it happening again. I turned the radio on and called in and was immediately told to contact one on channel four. I switched over and asked him what was going on. He said to come to his location immediately. I kicked the lights and siren and started breaking speed limits. If something had happened to the girls, I was going to prison for killing someone. I shut down the siren when I got to the Gas Mart and went from there with just the lights on. I saw all of them standing outside next to the little car and wondered what the hell was going on. I was shaking as I pulled up next to them and got out.

"Didn't take you long to get here, Harry. I'm sorry if I scared you but this woman of yours threatened to beat me with a ball bat if I didn't get you here immediately. Now that you're here, maybe me and my girls can finish our visit."

I turned to Tran and she came into my arms crying like a baby. I looked at Mark and he was smiling at me and both the girls were giggling at me. What the hell was this all about? I just stood and held her while she got it out of her system. The longer I stood there feeling like a fool, the more puzzled I got at her actions.

"Tran, what's this all about? I thought something happened and my so-called friend thinks it's funny. The girls are laughing at me so will you please tell me what I did to you that made you cry?"

"Oh Harry, I was up almost all night waiting for you to call. I wanted to tell you this is the most beautiful gift anyone has ever given me. How do I thank you for it?"

"All of this is over a car? I was scared to death something had happened to the girls and you, and all this is because I gave you a car!"

I knew my voice was getting loud but I was upset with the worry and all the bullshit because of a car. How was I supposed to react to all of this, I wondered? Damn, I needed a hot cup of coffee. I tried to untangle myself from Tran to get my go cup but she was stuck to me like glue. I just stood and waited in the middle of the street, feeling like a fool, wondering if I needed a girlfriend after all these years without one. I was going through the memories of all the bad luck I had with women over the years when she stepped back and slapped me.

"What in the hell was that for?"

"For making me worry all night."

I turned away got in my unit and left without saying a word. I went to the station and made arrangements for Bob to go to the gulch this morning and do some talking. I told him to track down some of the girls and see if they knew anything about the girls coming through. I told him to take Beau and see if there were any safes in the casino we needed to open. I also told him to confiscate any monies or paper they found and to bring it all in. We were going through the place with a fine tooth comb this afternoon and I was leaving it to him and Beau to pave the way for us.

I went to the radio room and re-filled my coffee cup, and headed for Marks office to talk to him. I walked in and he was on the phone so I waited for him to finish before I gave him the news.

"Mark, from now on Tran is not welcome in my home. She can bring the girls to you at the driveway like before. I don't want her any where close to me for any reason. I will give you the new alarm code tonight for your use only. I suggest you tell her to leave the keys to my Jeep at the gas mart and I will have Doris pick it up later today."

"Harry, don't go off half cocked. Will you listen to me for a minute?"

"Mark, we are friends but my personal life is off limits to you or anyone else. I don't need a woman and I sure as hell don't need the domestic problems she brings with her. The girls love her so they need her, but I sure as hell don't. I don't want a repeat of her performance ever again. I will be cleared by the doctor next week so I will work for you, but don't throw her up in my face again. I have to meet the governor in a few minutes and then we are going out to that casino to do a complete search of it. I'll see you later at the cabin."

When I left he was sitting there with his mouth open in shock. I was pissed but this was going to be a long day so I should be over it by tonight sometime. I knew the girls loved her, but nobody slapped me and I sure as hell didn't need a girlfriend. I was in the state of legal prostitution if I needed it that bad. I climbed back into my unit and went to the shelter to meet with the governor and the press.

I stood and took all the praise and bullshit along with the plaque. Then he turned the mike over to me telling them I had a message to send out to the immigration services.

"Ladies and gentleman, I want to thank the governor for the award and I also want to try to shame a certain bureau that says they do good work to stop illegals from coming into this country. I have twenty-two girls, ages thirteen to seventeen that were brought into the state from Texas. Law Enforcement here thinks this is part of a pipeline in this area. When we called the INS to inform them we had the girls, they in turn informed us they were too busy to send them home. These girls were mistreated badly by their transporter and he is in jail as we speak. These poor girls deserve to go home, but the INS seems to think that children are not important, and them being enslaved is not a thing they worry about. I don't know about all of you, but if someone had taken my daughter and she was found, I would want her back. The girls were fed for the first time in three days yesterday by my department."

I waited a few moments for what I was saying to sink in, then made the sign for the shelter to bring them out in front of the cameras. The governor was standing by the door helping them to line up so they could be seen, and he was eating this up.

"These are the little girls we found yesterday. All of you can see how young they are and how helpless in a foreign country. I don't think any of them speak our language so how would they call out for help if they could? I think they are a little young to be used by some pervert as a sex slave, don't you? We need your help by calling your elected officials and give them an earful about how these poor girls are being treated by our country and the INS. Thank-you for your time. I am sure the governor has a few things to say about this too."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.