The Rivers' Lodge on the Hill
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2011 by happyhugo

It was getting time for Patterson Brooks to arrive with his two children. Brenda removed her apron and combed her hair. Pat drove up in a three-year-old Chevy sedan. It was seriously cooling off outside and was down to twenty degrees. It had been in the middle thirties earlier in the day. All had worn parkas, but still ran for the house to get out of the cold. Brenda let them into the entryway and helped them off with their coats.

I stood waiting as they came into the kitchen. "Patterson, this is Jonathan Rivers. This has been his ancestor's farm since the revolutionary war." I noticed Brenda did not introduce me as her husband.

Pat held out his hand. I took it, uttering, "Patterson."

"Call me Pat."

I smiled. "I never had a nickname, so I guess you will have to call me Jonathan. Introduce me to your children. I understand they will be staying here tonight."

"Yes, I hope it is all right. Actually, I need to speak about maybe making arrangements to stay longer. Anyway, we could go into that later. This is my daughter Margaret, nicknamed Peggy. This is Peter and he of course, we call Pete.

"Pete and Peggy, this is Brenda who is my friend. She stays with me in the apartment, but is helping out here."

Peggy managed a "Hi," and withdrew into her self. Maybe she had an attitude? I could tell she did not want to be here. She was almost as tall as her father and gawky looking with dark horned-rimmed glasses. She rather slouched. I didn't at first think there was much attractive about her. Her clothes were terrible for her. Must be her mother was not paying attention.

The boy Pete looked a lot like his father. He was looking around, interested in his surroundings. The girl looked sad and bored. "Peggy, do you have a special boy friend?" She nodded, wondering why I asked such a question when we had just met. "I'll bet you would like to E-Mail him and tell him everything about getting here and where you are."

Her face brightened. I revised my estimate of her not being attractive when she gave me a smile. "Could I? I miss him and I don't know how long it is going to be before I see him again."

I walked her into the office where the computer was located and booted it up for her. "I'll come get you in fifteen minutes so you can meet my Mom. She is the woman who is getting married. I want you to meet everyone, but for now talk to your boyfriend."

"Thank you so much Mr. ¾?"

"It's Rivers, but call me Jonathan."

"Is Brenda your sister?"

"No, Brenda is my wife and still will be for awhile. You must think this is odd don't you? I will explain it when we get a chance to talk again. See you." I went out. Pete had wandered into the living room and was looking at one of the sets of deer horns I had mounted. "I shot that 12 pointer when I was eleven years old. Do you hunt?"

"No, but I wish I could go sometime."

"Do you have a gun?"

"God no. I live with my mother and step-dad. They are not into guns. I have never ever fired one."

"Get your father's permission and we'll dig out a rifle and do some shooting. Tomorrow it is supposed to be a good day. Hey, help me bring in some wood for the fireplace. It's going to be cold tonight. Have you ever sat in front of a fire and watched the flames dance?"

"No."

Peggy came out of the office when Pete and I came in with an armload of wood. "Do you feel better now?"

"Yes, thank you. He was so happy to hear from me. What should I do now?"

"Why don't you go into the kitchen and ask Brenda what you can do to help. That is called sucking up, but it works. Look what I did to you two. I wanted to make friends of you, so I talked to you and gave you my interest. We all got something from it."

"Sis, Jonathan is going to let me shoot a gun tomorrow, that is if Dad says it is okay. Tell Dad what Jonathan did for you so I can shoot, would you?"

Judy came in to see what I was doing. "Were you in here turning your charm onto that young girl?"

"I'm guilty. To both kids in fact. I think both have been shuffled around and not much attention paid to them. Judy, could you do something with Peggy's hair? If you have a dress for her to wear for the wedding, it might help too. You are both about the same size."

"Why me?"

"Because she is going to be sleeping in your room tonight and it would be a perfect chance to make her feel wanted."

"Where is the boy sleeping?"

I don't know. Maybe in Charlie's room. It will depend on whether Brenda and Pat sleep here or go home."

"You'd let Pat sleep with your wife when you are in the same house with her?"

"I have to get beyond her sometime. I'm not going to propose that she does, but it could happen."

"Okay, but soon I will want the same consideration."

"I was kind of looking for a Christmas present from you. Maybe after Christmas dinner when everyone else is napping." I was quickly smothered with kisses.

Ben interrupted us. "Pete was talking to me after I heard him asking his father if it was okay to shoot a gun. I do not think his father thought it a good idea, but I helped convince him that it was safe enough. I haven't fired off any rounds in a couple of years, so I'm in this too."

"Good."

Judy spoke up. I wish I had brought a couple of my guns. You guys are not the only ones who have bagged deer in this lifetime. I have a sweet .222 Savage that I use. What do you use, Jonathan?"

"My favorite is a .223, but if I'm after bear, I use a .270."

"You shot a bear? You'll have to take me out next year. I'd love to get one."

Charlie came in as Judy was saying this. "Judy will get a bear if any of you do. She loves being out in the woods. She tells me she hasn't had a chance lately because of me. Maybe now she will be able to."

Brenda came to the doorway. "Supper is being put on the table. Come eat." We went in. Mom and Ho were sitting on the far end and I sat on the near end. Usually Brenda sat next to me, but tonight she indicated she was sitting farther down on the side with Ben and Sandy next to Mom. One grandchild was sitting in a youth chair and the other in a high chair. Pat sat across from Brenda with Judy next to him.

Pete sat next to Judy with me sitting next to her on the end. Charlie sat across from Pete. Peggy, who had agreed to serve, sat closest to the sideboard, which held the food. This left only one place on the end next to me for her. Peggy was running back and forth, placing the food on the table. The roast loin of pork was directly in front of me with the stack of dinner plates to my left. The meat had been carved into portions by Brenda.

"Mom?"

"Give me a good-sized hunk as I'm hungry tonight, although I haven't done a thing all day." I knew just how much Mom would want on her plate. Peggy held the plate and I put it on. Peggy carried the plate to her. The potatoes, vegetables and rolls could be reached from where the person was sitting, as there were multiple dishes of each nearby. I went around the table asking each person how big an amount he or she desired.

Peggy sat and I served her the meat and then myself. Ho as usual said a grace and we started to eat. I was amazed how well Peggy had done. Halfway through the meal when she sat down after replenishing the vegetable dishes, I leaned over, "You have done everything very well. Especially in not being familiar how everything is done here."

She flushed at the compliment. I took a sip of coffee and just as I did, she leaned close and whispered, "Now who is sucking up?" Pete was close enough to hear his sister and he burst out laughing. I sucked coffee down my windpipe and started coughing. Peggy was shaking with laughter and her face was now bright crimson.

The meal halted with everyone looking at us. I finally caught my breath. Brenda asked, "What was that all about?"

"Nothing really. It just goes to show a person shouldn't talk with their mouth full. I said something to Peggy and I choked."

Pat put in his two cents, "You kids should know by now it isn't polite to laugh at people who are having difficulties."

"It's okay Pat, when I started to choke I accidentally kicked Pete. It was just a comedy of errors and I caused it all." He stared at me as if he didn't believe me.

I went back to my meal, but every once in awhile I could feel Peggy shake as she was trying to hold in a giggle. I felt Pete nudge my foot with his and he mouthed, "Thank you" when I looked at him.

While having my last coffee over dessert, I turned to Charlie. He was still sitting with me and everyone else was busy. "What are your plans now?"

"My wife's sister is coming to get me as soon as she can get here. I want to be home before New Years Eve."

I had to know. "Will Judy be going with you?"

Charlie didn't answer me immediately. He seemed to be looking for the right words. Then he asked a question of his own. "Would you be disappointed if she did? I mean I have been out of the loop and everything including relationships have changed so much in the last two years. I have been a terrible burden to my sister and now I want to give her what she wants. If she left and I knew you didn't want her to go, I would urge her to stay."

"That's easy. Please urge her to continue living here. You have seen how I feel about her. I have not been very aggressive because I am still married to Brenda. I do not feel married because I have not been intimate with Brenda for several months. Is that enough of an excuse to jump into bed with your sister? However, my being halfway divorced does not seem to bother Judy, and she looks on me as being single. I am still amazed she is attracted to me as she is young, smart, and beautiful. Why is she looking at me when I'm much older than her?"

"Judy and I talked last night. We did not talk about me and what I have missed by being an amnesiac, if that is the right term. We did talk about her and eventually you. Before we came here, she was engaged and I thought he was an all right person, but I did not know him well. Apparently, he did not love her enough to stick with her when family problems surfaced.

"I've only known you for a couple days and have only listened to one woman for a few hours who thinks you are something. I have observed things around me though. I saw two teenagers come into the house to meet a bunch of strangers. One of them was to a woman who was introduced as a person who was going to replace their mother. Both looked uncertain, for one thing. Another thing, I could see the kids were unhappy with their father about the whole situation.

"Then they disappeared with you into the other room. Twenty minutes later, this girl came back and walked up to what was possibly going to be her new stepmother. She was smiling, although she appeared somewhat uncertain and asked if she could help. The tension eased immediately for they were working together at a single chore and leaving their personalities out. Then the boy came out and asked his father if he can go shooting with you.

"Patterson was in a very uncomfortable situation as well. He was here with a woman he was sleeping with and here was her husband in his own home taking an interest in his son. If my sister can hook up with a man who displays that much concern for other people and their feelings, I'd kind of like that man for my brother-in-law."

"Thank you. A person always wonders how a brother or a father feels about a person who is taking an interest in a sister or daughter."

Just then, Brenda and Pat approached me. "Charlie, would you excuse us. I need to talk with Jonathan."

"Sure. Nice talking to you, Jonathan."

"Jonathan, Pat and I have a housing problem with the unexpected arrival of Pete and Peggy. It is not just a short-term one either. His wife left papers with Pat giving him full custody. The apartment has only one bedroom. We are trying to figure out how to resolve our problem"

"This means you want to move back in here with me?"

Brenda's head went down and she would not look at me. Pat answered for her. It was his problem. "Mr. Rivers, Brenda doesn't want to move back to the farm. It does not seem right and I do not want her to either. However, I have these two kids. I love them, but I have only seen them a few times in the last five years. Don't get me wrong, I want them with me, but I need to find a place for them to stay for a little while until I can make better arrangements.

"Their mother has dumped them on me, and if I don't have them living with me, they are going to feel unwanted by both their mother and me. If you could take them temporarily, it would help. I don't want them to feel I was pushing them away." He paused and then continued, "Maybe you could help me explain to them why I have to do this. You seem to have made friends with them.

"I think I can afford to rent room here for them temporarily if you give me a couple's room rate for one room even though they need two rooms. I'll get out Monday and find a bigger apartment, but it is going to take some time."

I was instantly angry. "Let me get this straight, and I'm speaking more to you, Brenda. Not only do I have to condone you being unfaithful, but now you have found someone new, I also have to take care of his children as well. Is that it?"

"Damn it Jonathan, yes I was unfaithful, but you never gave me the courtesy of letting me explain. You just walked away and started the divorce. You left me here to manage a business we started together. Was that fair? Maybe you do not need a life, but I do. I am just asking you to help until we are divorced and we both can find some happiness. Remember too, I didn't ask for anything from you when I moved out."

I sat thinking and the silence lengthened. Some of what Brenda said was correct, but didn't I have the right to be bitter over the breakup of our marriage? For years, I had been the only wage earner. I still was. My thoughts swung to Pete and Peggy. Their father was concerned about their feelings, and I suppose it was in me to feel sorry for him and the kids both. I wouldn't have wanted to feel abandoned by my folks at their age.

"Brenda, I wasn't going to say anything about this until Christmas day. That is the day after tomorrow. You do have more say in this than you know. I have been to an attorney and have decided to incorporate the business. I am keeping 25% of the shares for myself. You and Mom will each have 20%. The 30% unassigned will be nonvoting and the profit, if any, will be divided amongst us three.

"So this becomes a business decision between us all. Go talk to Mom and explain what I have just told you." Brenda stared at me and then glanced at Pat before going over to Mom's door and knocking.

After she had entered, I said, "Pat, sorry you got into the middle of this. I just get pissed at Brenda sometimes. It all happened before you came on the scene. She will come back with Mom's okay and I will see what we can do to make Pete and Peggy comfortable here. It will not cost you much either, because Brenda owns a part of the business.

"What about getting them into school? The high school bus does come by here so that won't be a problem. What about their clothes and stuff like that?"

"It is all on the living room floor of my apartment. I don't have room for any of their things. Jonathan, at least you and Brenda are able to talk to each other. My wife was a total bitch. The kids were left to their own devices most of the time. Peggy and I have been on the Internet almost constantly and I have had to guide them from afar for the last two years. I really am glad they are close by where I can do what needs doing for them."

"I think you are being a good father. I applaud that. Now I have asked Judy Comstock to let Peggy sleep with her tonight. We had better get twin beds for Judy's room if she agrees. There is still room in the attic next to mine where we can make a room for Pete or maybe two small rooms. It needs doing anyway and it will be warm enough as it right above us here in the kitchen. I will talk to Ho. He is good at this. In the meantime until we have paying guests he can sleep on an air mattress in the living room."

"This is great. You will help me explain the situation to them won't you?"

"Yes, just as soon as Brenda returns. Setting aside the issues between Brenda and me, she will make the kids a good stepmother if it leads to that. She was a wonderful mother while raising Ben."

"I haven't proposed to Brenda yet, but to let you know, I intend to. I haven't felt as if I could until the divorce is final."

"That would be your business and Brenda and I will be divorced someday."

Brenda returned and we went in to talk to Pete and Peggy. Pat laid it all out. "So until I find larger quarters for us all, Jonathan has agreed to let you live here. Brenda owns a part of the lodge so the expense will be minimal. Miss Comstock has agreed to share her room and twin beds will be installed sometime next week.

"Pete will have his own room that will soon be constructed in the attic. All of this is because the lodge needs at least two rooms rented out to pay the bills. You will be going to school from here until I can get us moved so we can all live together. I wish you could be with me now, but it is impossible for the time being."

"I guess Pete and I can handle it Dad. We feel we are among friends and we know you are trying your best."

"Thanks for being so understanding. If you are all set here for tonight, I guess Brenda and I will be leaving. We will see you all in the morning. I want to be here when you start shooting a gun."

Brenda was looking at me when Pat said this. I tried, but could not entirely keep the hurt from showing. I saw tears appear in her eyes. Well what did she expect? I saw Brenda and Judy talking a minute before she left. She didn't say goodnight to me and I was thankful for that. It kept me from saying something I might have regretted.

Pete and Peggy seemed happy to be able to stay and I did just as I said. We lay in front of the fireplace until after ten. Pete was staying right in the room and soon Peggy and Judy went to the front part of the house where Judy's room was. I heard them giggling as I left.

I went up to my room, but did not go to sleep. Was it true that nice guys always finish last? It sure seemed it. I heard the grandfather clock in the front room strike twelve. It was some time later when I heard the stairs creek and my door ease open. Some clothes rustled and I felt someone getting into bed beside me.

"Jonathan one time I said I wished I could be your Brenda. Tonight that is what I am."

"Is this pity?"

"No I'm here because I want to be with you."

"Then you can't be my Brenda. I don't have one of them any longer. The person I want is Judy."

"Great, this is even better."

"I'll hope you think so. I have to tell you that you will be only the second woman I have known. Brenda was the only one I have ever had sex with."

"That's good. I have had much more experience than we need to have a great sex life. You get to pick and choose what you would like."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.