Some Kind of Hero - Cover

Some Kind of Hero

Copyright© 2011 by Sea-Life

Chapter 83

I was up in time for my usual morning routine Friday. I didn't want to run the property line today, not with all the equipment sitting around, but I did the treadmill for a few miles and then the StairMaster for a few more. Mrs. Trinh had omelets and orange juice for breakfast, and was very chipper, almost dancing around as she served. Today for the first time she slipped in to eat at the table with me without my having to prompt her to.

After breakfast I went back downstairs and then into the cavern. I read through the rest of the transcribed conversations, saving the new ones from yesterday for last. The more I read of Hierro's side of the conversations, the more something about him nagged at me. I even listened to some of the audio from the conversations, but while that too nagged at me, I just couldn't figure out what it was that bothered me about it.

After an hour of reading transcripts, I came back upstairs and called Pete Donaldson and asked him about charter fishing in Brookings, letting him know about my new Canadian friends coming to play golf at Salmon Run. He wanted to know when they were coming and how, but I told him I didn't know. They had their own plane, but might fly in to Crescent City, because they were uncertain about being able to rent a car that they could carry four set of golf clubs in.

"Aw geez, that shouldn't be a problem," he laughed. "We've got people who rent their cars out all the time. Let me check with Vic, he's got a Chevy Suburban he rents."

"Okay, call me back."

He promised to call back within a half an hour, so I used the time to make a few other calls, first to the bank manager who'd emailed me, but my reply email yesterday had settled their concerns. Next I called Don.

"Don, its Cooper, good morning."

"Good morning Cooper, what can I do for you?"

"Its more like what I can do for you," I laughed. "I've got a line on some charter fishing in Brookings as well as a car for you guys to use to get to around while you're there."

"Really?"

"Well, I'm waiting to hear back on the car, and when I do. I expect I'll hear more on the fishing. When were you folks planning on heading that way?"

"We were planning on leaving after lunch. That bed and breakfast you told us about is full up for the weekend, but we've got reservations at someplace called the Westward Inn. Those bed and breakfast's seem more geared towards romantic getaways than a group of traveling companions."

"Yeah, I can understand that," I agreed.

"How's Nhu?" he asked.

"Oh, she's fine," I laughed silently. I could have seen that coming. Curious how he thought to ask right after mentioning romantic getaways. "Fixed a fine omelet for breakfast this morning. I promised her last night that I'd get her fixed up with an email address, so don't be surprised if you get an email before the day's out."

"Ah, okay, thanks," he suddenly seemed to be embarrassed at his interest.

"Okay then, I'll call back as soon as I here from my guy in Brookings."

I heard back from Pete in less than ten minutes. I let him know my friend's anticipated schedule, and where they were staying. He said that Vic's Suburban was theirs for as long as they were in town, no charge, as long as they bought the gas.

"Pete, can I give them your number?"

"Oh sure, I'll want to meet them at the airport anyway." he said.

"Pete, pardon me for asking this now, but what do you do, anyway? I remember you mentioning that you used to work for Mr. Conway, but I don't remember you saying what it was you did."

"Really?" he sounded bemused. "I thought that was why you called me."

"Why would I call you?"

"Because I operate a charter fishing boat?"

"Really?" I almost choked, I laughed so hard. "That's so funny. Wait, shouldn't you be out fishing?"

"I am out fishing," he laughed. "We stick pretty close to shore most of the time, and I almost always have cell coverage."

"Now just because Vic is loaning them a ride for gas money, don't think you have to give them a discount just because they know me."

That was Pete's turn to almost choke on laughter. Turns out he couldn't afford to offer discounts to anyone. His only concession to our friendship was his plan to divert whatever customer he had scheduled to another charter boat on the day they wanted to fish.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.