Some Kind of Hero - Cover

Some Kind of Hero

Copyright© 2011 by Sea-Life

Chapter 24

The people at Play it Again Sports were very helpful. There weren't a lot of people there, holidays like this were usually slow, they explained. For that reason the limited staff working today were mostly veterans and managers. When I started talking about buying an entire home gym and then gave them the dimensions of the space available I found myself talking almost instantly to the owner, who asked me to call him Billy. He turned out to be quite a character, but also very sharp. We showed him a picture of the space we had available.

"This is a basement you said?" he asked. When I nodded yes, he asked if I had the dimensions of the basement's entry. I had to confess that I didn't, but that it seemed to be a normal door and a straight stairway with no turns.

"Did the stairs seem narrow or steep?" he asked. I thought they seemed 'normal', and told him so.

From there it was a series of questions about what kind of equipment I wanted. I knew from the internal conversations Cooper and I had that at a minimum we both wanted a treadmill and a heavy bag. Whether we would up with a weight machine, exercise bike, rower or whatever would be up to Billy.

I mentioned Cooper's recent discharge from the Marine Corp, and a desire to maintain a high level of overall fitness.

"Train for strength, but don't sacrifice any flexibility?" Billy asked and I agreed.

"What's your budget," he asked finally.

"What's the range between good enough and the best I could get?" I countered. He told me and I gulped. High end was more than I'd paid for the Wrangler! In my mind I glanced again at the financial statements Darius Booker had shown me. Money was really not a problem, but I was spending money like it grew on trees and I didn't know if I could afford to keep up the pace. I'd know more after I talked to the investment guys later in the week. Billy grinned at my gulp and the following silence, raising an eyebrow.

"I can afford the best I could get option, but I'm not sure if the best I could get is what I need. I would have to depend on your judgment. Also, this is just for me. I'm single and just returned to the states. I have no other family in the area and haven't even had time to make any friends. What I need only needs to be enough for me."

"Understood," Billy said. "But I also bet you don't want a multi station machine if it means having to fiddle with it to change from one exercise to another, right?"

"That would be my preference," I agreed. "Something mechanically simple would be nice too," I added. "I don't want something I'm going to have to have tuned or serviced constantly."

"Yeah, some of this stuff can get that way. Don't worry, I don't want you to have any of those either. I prefer happy customers. Happy and healthy. You have any health issues I should know about?"

"None," I semi-lied. He didn't really need to know about the two dead guys who were really inhabiting this body. "I had a clean bill of health when I received my discharge."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.