Scare Fair
Chapter 1: Story Introduction

Copyright© 2011 by Nicolax

Jack wondered through the town's 'scare fair' alone. He'd lost his friends when they all entered the haunted house together. Walking through the main door, they all decided to take the three different routes into the house by themselves, saying that it would be more fun considering the rest of the fair had been below expectations. Continuing through the second set of doors, Jack wandered down the corridor, only to see a dim blue light appearing through the bottom of the wall. Curiosity getting the better of him, Jack pushed against the wall to find that it easily gave way and he entered a small room about the size of his mother's walk in wardrobe at home. Sat at a desk was an elderly woman, clearly attempting to be some sort of witch.

She watched as Jack stood there, watching her, waiting for her to speak, but she wouldn't. Eventually Jack asked bluntly, "Are you supposed to be scary or do you just sit there? It's quite pointless sitting behind the wall, nobody's gonna find you." The woman just continued to sit and stare. Realising that he was feeling creeped out and not wanting to be the only one in his group to leave the house looking like he was a 10 year old boy looking for his mommy because he'd seen something scary, Jack turned back to leave through the doorway. As he turned to look over his shoulder, before he reached the table in the room, the blue light dimmed until it went out. Straining his eyes, he looked into the room and noticed that the woman was no longer there.

Shrugging it off, Jack carried on down the hallway towards what he guessed would be the exit. After a second doorway, Jack walked down yet another hall, yet this time with blood splattered along the walls. After a man jumped out with a very realistic wolf's mask on his head, Jack thought that there really wasn't anything to be creeped out by, it was just part of the show. That was until he heard speech from the walls and a trickle of light, cold air being blown onto his neck. Pulling his collar up to cover the airflow to his neck, he moved closer to the walls to try and hear what was being said.

In almost a whisper, the following words were being repeated from the walls, "Continue down the corridor you are in. When you feel the air on the back of your neck turn from cold to hot (only then did Jack notice that the cold air hadn't stopped when he pulled his collar up) turn left and push against the wall." The voice was slow and dreary, like you'd expect a ghost to sound like if you ever bumped into one. He had to listen to the instructions a couple of times before he fully understood what was being said. If only this much effort was put into other areas of the scare fair, and the night might have been a lot better! That said, Jack felt it was only right to follow the instructions and see what else the haunted house had in store for him, even if he was getting a little scared by it all.

So whilst Jack walked along the corridor, he felt along the side of the walls with his right hand. Noticing that they were slightly damp, he guessed that the fake blood was still up on the walls, even though he was now in a complete darkness and the effects on the walls would be unobserved. Pulling out his phone to use the screen's light, he looked down at his hand, noticing that the blood like substance was incredibly realistic. Suddenly Jack noticed the faint change in heat across his neck and turned to face the wall on his left. Slowly building up the courage, he pushed the wall in like he had done previously and entered the room. What struck Jack was how similar the room was to that he had entered earlier. The only difference being that the woman had been replaced with a small zippo style lighter with a note beside it.

To turn on: Flip the lid and strike ONCE. Then close the lid. To turn OFF: Reopen the lid, Strike TWICE and then close the lid.

Picking the zippo up, Jack flipped the lid open and tried to strike the zippo but nothing happened. Closing the lid, he shook it around slightly to see if he could get the gas going a little and tried striking it once more. Again, nothing happened. Thinking that the zippo looked fairly cool, he decided to pocket it, along with the note and turned around to leave before a member of the haunted house staff tried to stop him. Thinking that it would be quicker to leave by going back around towards the entrance, Jack quickly made his way back to the front.

Arriving just before the entrance door, Jack walked past a couple of kids that looked like they'd been frozen in fright by whatever extravagant thing the haunted house had thrown at them. Not wanting to stick around, Jack just carried on walking out, passing the young man on the front door. Strangely, there seemed to be no knowledge that someone had just exited through the entrance but Jack didn't care, he quickly made his way round towards the exit and hopped into the bush on the side so that he could jump out onto whichever of his friends came out first.

Ten minutes later and not a single sole had walked past, friend or not. Pulling out his phone once more, he attempts to send a text to his friends but finds that he hasn't got any reception. Thinking about how he always has signal in this town, he wonders why he isn't getting any now but dismisses the matter and starts to play on one of the games he downloaded earlier in the night to cure the boredom he was starting to get.

Another ten minutes pass and Jack starts to get annoyed. Even though he's playing on his phone, whilst waiting for it to pick up reception, he hasn't noticed any movement close to him and wonders whether or not his friends have all left without him.

Leaving it another five minutes without a sole coming out of the haunted houses' exit doors, Jack decides to head home, angry that his 'friends' could leave without him. Walking back towards the main part of the fair, Jack pulls out the zippo that he got from the house and starts playing with it. After attempting to make a flame, without success, for a short while, he remembered what the note said about striking it twice and closing the lid. He did as instructed but yet again, nothing happened. Putting it back into his pocket, Jack thought that he'd try and fill it up with some gas when he got back to his own house.

Almost immediately after he closed the lid, a small boy came running out from the alleyway that led down to a few of the stands opposite the haunted house. The boy, running with a candy cane, ran straight into Jack's side. Looking up, he quickly asked, "where on earth did you come from!? But sorry mister!" before running off towards the haunted house. Watching the young child go, Jack found it odd that the kid hadn't even seen him walking towards the alleyway. Perhaps the child was just plain blind, eyes latched onto the candy cane he held into his hand. Either way, Jack dismissed the incident and carried on walking back home.

Taking out his keys from his pocket, he opened the front door of his house and headed straight for his room without saying anything to his parents, which wasn't unusual for him any way. They called after him, asking if he had a good night, to which Jack replied a quick, "yeah, it was cool thanks!". Getting up and feeling increasingly tired and annoyed after the walk home, as he was supposed to get a lift back with Katy (one of the three friends), he dumped the contents of his jeans onto his bedside cabinet before getting straight into bed. After checking that his alarms were set for the next day of school, Jack promptly fell asleep.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.