She Took It All - Cover

She Took It All

Copyright© 2011 by happyhugo

Chapter 7

It was about a year ago when I had first met Neil Fortier for the first time. That was the time I was looking for a contract to secure a stable supply to enlarge my pig feed operation. I wasn't even married at that time, but I did propose that night.

I thought about all of the changes that had taken place. Four marriages and four pregnancies and all of these women were my friends and that included my ex-wife. I had earlier made plans to make my business in the warehouse improved and to buy the building within five years. Now I was almost moved out of it and was starting production in another old factory building owned by my three kids and I was working for them.

My kids had grown and matured beyond belief. They actually were working hands-on in an apartment house tending to ten apartments. They were interested in my use of the remaining space that they owned and I was leasing. I loved all three tremendously, but it was Sandy who was special. She had started on the road to doing three years of schoolwork in two. I was surprised by the way she had taken hold. I think she had more discipline than I would have given her credit for and for being so dedicated.

Yes, and we were going before the authorities to ask for permits to start the reconstruction of eight old factory buildings. This was to be the first of its kind in this part of the city and we were counting on our presentation to encourage more of the same with other empty factories. I was going to be part of this along with Neil. The paper work was ready and it was down to the oral question and answer period.

For that, we had brought back Christian Stone to relate what he had done in the east. George Caruthers and Mindy Evans had drawn pay for several months and were more than ready for this. There was Elizabeth's fine hand in organizing both the content and the order. She opened the first meeting

"My name is Elizabeth Fortier. Neil Fortier is my husband. Gentlemen, and I see one lady present on this board. Mrs. Theobold owns these buildings. We are hoping to get permits to rehab them. She is the former Mrs. Frank Fortier. For those of you who do not know the history of the old factory complex, hear her tell about herself and how she came to own them. Please give her five or ten minutes." Elizabeth sat down.

"I was Molly Fortier for twenty-seven years. Frank picked me off the streets when I was fourteen. I was an orphan at the time. My first memories were of a Catholic Orphanage. That closed and I was moved to another when I was five. That home lasted three years and then there was a fire.

"It burned up all of my records, so right now I don't know who I am or who my family was. I was given the name of Baker when I was placed for adoption, but I am aware that is not the name I was born with. I was placed in different homes by social services, but that life is hell for a cute little girl as I was at the time.

"I won't go into that, but I'll tell you I learned a lot of things that no child should hear about and to say nothing about having to perform. I took it until I was twelve and I figured I was safer on the streets of this fair city than I was in the places the Social Services lodged me. I took to the streets and two years later, I solicited an old man for money for food. He took me to his home, cleaned me up and within a few days loved me.

"He loved me enough to give me a child and he loved me enough to hire people to come in and educate me. I returned all of his love fourfold I do believe. When it was his time to leave eleven years ago, he left me an extremely rich woman owning some old empty factory buildings that would someday fall down.

"A year ago my son met a man who was looking for a contract to supply the business he had established in the smallest of the factory buildings which was the warehouse. My son was impressed with this person and spoke to me about him. I met him and after listening to him suggest some possible uses, I hired him. These old factory buildings before this were always more baggage than an asset to me.

"All of the paperwork you have before you is the culmination of this man's vision. I believe you will find it complete in every way and all problems addressed. This includes financing and all of the environmental concerns. The only new construction will be where the warehouse now stands after it is demolished. This is being replaced with a parking garage as high as the tallest of the old factories.

"There is a list here of all of those stores and businesses that have inquired about leasing space when the project is completed. This is just a sample of those who are already willing to sign on the dotted line.

"It has been verified that the public transportation authority would be glad to extend their route to this complex. There will be many school-age children living here, and that has been addressed to some extent. The latest new school that the city built could certainly handle this increase in its number of students. This permit request could have been presented two months ago, but we wanted to have all of our facts verified for accuracy.

"I will not be taking questions, because those will be answered by those within their area of expertise that are here tonight. One other thing before I sit down. I have turned boxes of papers that had been collected and stored for several years over to Mrs. Pamela Waters. She has compiled a history of the Fortier family and the factories the buildings were built to house. You may pick up a copy of an outline as you leave. What she has done on it so far is interesting reading. Thank you."

All I could think of as Molly resumed her seat, was that Frank Fortier had certainly educated this woman. She was eloquent beyond belief. With what he had started with, only love could do as fine a job.

The meeting lasted late into the evening. I was not asked one question although my name was mentioned several times. Before the meeting ended, they all knew I was the one who had first talked to Neil Fortier and then his mother, Molly. Now all we had to do was wait to see if our requests for permits were rejected or passed.

Six weeks later, we had the permits. Two months after that Christian Stone signed the contract to start the renovation of seven factory buildings and for the new construction of one parking garage. It was projected to take three years to complete.

I was still a consultant. I spent about one and a half days a week looking at the progress and going over some of the paper work. Was this necessary? Christian Stone was the contractor, but there were dozens of subcontractors under him. I was just one more set of eyes to make sure the work was done correctly. Other than that, I spent my time at the kid's apartment house and on my own business of processing pig feed.


Johnny Junior Rheingold arrived right on time. He was going to be John Sebastian Rheingold Jr. until I objected strongly, so Johnny Junior it was. I wondered sometimes if the little tyke would know who his real mother was. Elizabeth, Molly and Pam at first, seemed to live at our house. It was claimed Shelly needed the support. Molly would be the next one of the four women to have a baby.

Molly put Ronnie to constructing a day center for four in her home. He had four months at least before the arrival of Ted and Molly's baby. I believe all four women got together every day at some point to mother Johnny. I insisted I wanted to see my son every night for a few hours with just his mother and me in attendance. I had missed much alone time when Jimmy was little. He had often been in the care of a nurse so I could escort Elizabeth to many of the doings she would not miss.

Sandy was busy studying. She fully intended to skip eighth grade. She was now in sixth. I do believe she was as fully prepared with Jimmy's seventh grade lessons as he was. If she wasn't studying from her books, she was on the Internet looking up things that she thought could be related to either her lessons or Jimmy's.

In essence, she was taking two courses in one year. If she continued at the same pace when she reached her seventh year, she would know it already and could concentrate on the eighth grade lessons. This was the grade she intended to skip and go from seventh, directly to the ninth. We left her alone with Kathy and Jimmy to study, which seemed to be the best course of action. When she asked a question or needed an answer the three didn't have, we were there to help her.

It may have seemed that the three were playing at being owners of the apartments and my business space, but that was not entirely the case. I made them a small office next to mine. On Saturday mornings, they opened the office and held regular hours from 9:30 until 11:00 for the tenants to meet with them. They would listen to any new complaints. Then they would discuss with me if it was something I should be informed of as their manager.

This was more often than not just a social hour. To me they were learning all of the time how to interact with adults and it gave them a business sense that would carry them through life. Several of their tenants were elderly and this gave those people a chance to interact with the younger set.

Sandy was usually the spokesperson, but this time it was Jimmy who approached me while the girls looked on. "Pop, I think we should invest in something that will improve the quality of life for our tenants. Sandy and Kathy both think so too. It will come under long-term capital improvements and the government will give us a break on our taxes."

"What is it and how much will it cost?"

"It is an elevator. Some of our renters on the third floor have a hard time managing the two flights of stairs. The ones we have looked at will hold two people at a time and is limited to 630 pounds in weight. If we installed one, we never would have to worry about any of our apartments being empty because of the easy access."

"I asked about the cost."

"We can't answer that. We do know the range is between $20,000 and $65,000. I am thinking one with a 20-year warranty is what we want. We can get an excellent one for $30,000. Mr. Waters, Sandy's dad, could install it in about two weeks. He would give us a break on the cost of installation. We think it could be purchased and installed for less than $35,000.

"Now that you are leasing space for your business, we can afford this and can have the elevator paid off in ten years." All three were looking at me intently to see how I was receiving their suggestion, "The three of us as owners are directing you to investigate the exact cost and feasibility of having an elevator installed. When we have that, we will go to our tenants and bring it before them. We think they will agree to a $5 a week surcharge just for the convenience. Your business will not be charged anything because you will not be using it."

"This sounds like it is a good plan and very well thought out. Consider this though, it is possible your tenants could shoot you down. They might not want to pay the added cost."

"We know that, but when it comes around time for rent increases, I'm sure we will have it covered."

"Jimmy, you're only thirteen. You did not think this all up by yourself. You couldn't have."

I got a grin from him and giggle from the two girls. "We spent a few hours with Mom and Uncle Neil last weekend. Mom has been studying on how to manage real estate. She had just finished reading a section on how to raise the rents and how to have your tenants pay for increased services."

I looked at the three kids in wonder. Not in wonder at them, but because of my ex-wife. If my life with Shelly wasn't so wonderful, I would be upset with Elizabeth. She could have worked with me like this when we were married. "I'm surprised at your mother. I feared she gave you a piece of property and it would all be on me to guide you in making it work. I see she is really taking an interest. That is great."

"We think so too."


The years flew by. Christian Stone completed the rehabilitation of the Fortier project just short of four years from the time we had received the permits to begin. This was a huge undertaking and many agencies were involved. The politicians flocked around and at the opening, the governor was there to give a speech.

Elizabeth dove into managing the whole operation. She had a larger staff than what I thought was needed, but she said if she wanted to go on vacation she wanted everything to go forward while she was gone. She was no lightweight either and was in the office most of the time. That is if Frankie Fortier-the-second did not need anything at the moment.

Neil was in charge of all the legal ramifications that came up constantly. I was still involved. I had an office in Elizabeth's management company. I suppose it was quasi-official. My duties were of a policy nature, to answer the questions as they came up.

Shelly was involved with Molly and Ted's personal finances, but was not involved directly with the complex. Pam was writing the history of the Fortier family and their ancestors. She does write some copy for the complex if she thinks it promotes the forward thinking of the reconstruction and if it could be transferred to a like set of other buildings.

Ronnie had completed renovating all of the three buildings where Molly lived. They were of showcase quality and had been written up in several magazines. Ronnie's fortune was made as he looked around for like residential buildings and the people who wanted their homes now done by him. His biggest problem was which home of many to choose to rehabilitate.

Molly had a daycare facility constructed in her home and hired staff to work with her. By the time the Fortier complex opened seven children populated it. Johnny Rheingold was the first, soon followed by Molly and Ted's baby, Theresa Theobold. Elizabeth and Neil's baby, Frank Fortier the Second arrived next. Pam and Ronnie Waters' baby, Richard, came a few days later.

Molly declared that she was all done. "Getting one in is great fun, but coming out it was too fuckin' painful." Elizabeth's Nathan beat Pam and Shelly for our second one by two months and then Pam and my wife had their second child on the same day. This was less than two years after our first round of children. Elizabeth had two boys, Pam and Ronnie had a girl and a boy and we had Johnny Junior and Rachel.

Molly spent most all of her day with the children in the nursery. These were her kids and she claimed them all equally. The kids as they got older knew and recognized their own parents, but would still go to Molly with their first smile. This was a day nursery and closed every day at five. Each child needs a mother's and father's love and that could only be found in their own home.

When Kathy received her vehicle license, she would shout, "We're all going over and play with the babies." By this time, Jimmy and Sandy were in the ninth grade together and Kathy was a year ahead. Yes, Sandy's plan to skip a grade bore fruit. She passed the eighth grade tests required with an 82 score. This was more than enough to make her a ninth grader.

There was some setback for her when she became a freshman. Remember the kids in her class were a full year older than she was. She became quieter and a little less outgoing. Not quite as confident as she was before. She certainly had not lost any intelligence. She had gotten into the habit of double studying and this part of her life carried over. She was soon in the top 5% of her class, and then started working on her social skills for her age group

We first saw her uncertainties when both she and Jimmy were picked to be in the same play for school. In the play, Jimmy was the groom and Sandy was the bride. Sandy was 14 and hadn't been allowed out on a date with a boy as of yet. Kathy at sixteen years, and well developed, had of course. Shelly and I believed she had been kissed well and often, but we trusted her.

The script called for a very chaste kiss at the end of the wedding ceremony. The teacher had cautioned that just a bare touching of the lips would be all that was condoned. The two were rehearsing at home and Kathy was making comments about how the wedding should go. Sandy was nervous and Kathy said, "Let me show you how." Now understand this was a comedy and the vows each had to repeat were outrageous.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.