Into the Shadows
Chapter 11: Security, Security where are you?

Copyright© 2011 by Vlfouquet

Cassie shoved her chair back from the work station. Stretching, she was scanning away at the people around her. She only had Grace with her. The laboratory was a high security area at the College due to the nature of the work being done there.

When the deep background check for her came back "denied" the head of Security for the college got on his high horse and denied her access to the laboratory. Cassie simply asked the Chancellor what was wrong. He called the Security Head in and chewed him out. He tried to place the blame on the government denying her access.

Chancellor Madison told Cassie he asked to see the report. When the Head of Security showed it to him, he flipped. There, in plain English, it stated that the Security Head was denied access as his security clearance was too low.

"Cassie, I'm sorry about this but Homeland Security finally came down and fixed everything. They explained to the Security People that you outranked them."

He opened a plastic package and removed a sealed, foiled wrapped, envelope and had Cassie sign a receipt for it.

When she opened it, there was a photo id with a clip to hold it on her clothes.

"This ID opens every security lock we have on campus."

Now she was scanning to gain information on the security protocols here. In the three days she had been working in the Research Building she had already seen multiple breaches of security.

Many of the lab personnel routinely took home reports and papers that were top secret. The Security Personnel were too friendly with the lab workers. Cassie had spotted two different sets of people making dates.

In a security environment that was a no-no. How could you expect security to crack down on a girl or boy friend? With this relaxation, a friend of a friend could get away because they were together.

This was one of the things she had learned from her people. Never get friendly with a potential target.

In the last three days, she had come up with a list of people that needed to be investigated. These were the ones that she had detected breaking security, not just poor protocol, which was another list entirely.

She had been unable to get started on any research due to the failure in security which had hit her in the face the minute she had stepped into the lab.

As soon as her shift was over, she headed to the Chancellor's office with her security detail.

As Cassie entered the outer office, the secretary immediately picked up her phone and called the Chancellor.

"Chancellor, Deputy Marshal Howard is here."

"Yes sir," she turned to smile at Cassie.

"He said to go right on in."

Cassie's scans noted that the Chancellor had been working on some papers but he put them aside and waited for her to enter.

Cassie stepped over to the door and opened it. "Schultz, you with me, the rest wait."

The Chancellor stood up and met her half-way shaking her hand. "How have you been doing over there at the Research Lab?"

"I hope that as soon as I can start working, it will go well, but you have some problems. Chancellor Madison you have some major breaches of security over there. I have noted Security Personnel violating Security Protocol."

"Top Secret Documents are leaving the premises with no records of them leaving, who took them, where they went or why they went."

"A full audit of all documents is needed immediately. You need a full shake up of the security department over there. Then the lab personnel need a full security orientation with follow up and discipline. I know scientists hate security procedures but there are reasons for them. In fact I am recommending a full background investigation of everybody in that building."

"I am just giving you a heads up so you are not taken by surprise. I am, in fact, bringing my own people in right now. They will not enter the building but every person that leaves it will have a tail."

"Cassie, that can't be! Why we have never had a security failure!"

"Chancellor Madison, I think you have had some major ones but they have not been detected."

"Now who at Homeland Security did you contact about me?"

"Here..." The Chancellor started digging into his rolodex. It was obvious that he did not use modern electronics to store such information.

Soon he handed Cassie a hand written number on a post-it note. She smiled to herself. "Thanks Chancellor, now don't mention this to anyone."

She stood and so did Schultz. Cassie reached over the desk to take the Chancellor's hand and gave it a firm grip. They then exited the office and headed outside.

Reaching to her comm unit she turned it on and switched to her new channel that connected to Director of Administration of CHH Security.

"Clint." She waited.

"Clint Wilson, DOA."

"Clint, Cassie here. I have a polecat by the tail. I have noted more than 30 security protocol violations at the Research Building here on campus; these are Federals. I have also noted top secret documents leaving the premises without authorization or tracking information being recorded. We need a full audit and background check on all personnel on site including security and lab workers. At this time we need tails on all personnel leaving the building. The people assigned this duty need at least one of my deputies with them in case an arrest is necessary.

"We need warrants; get Lt. Colonel Woods to apply to the courts in DC. We need them as of three hours ago."

"Cassie we have no standing in this. We do not have a contract."

"As the ranking US Deputy Marshal in the area of this federal violation I am authorized to deputize any and all civilian personnel needed. As a special deputy US Marshal I'm calling on you for support and backup. Do you acknowledge this?"

"Aye! I understand and will act on those orders. It has been recorded. How many deputies do you have here Cassie?"

"All of my personal bodyguards and house security have badges and identification as special Deputy US Marshals."

"Oh, Colonel Woods is also. I felt that as our legal liaison she might need it. So she will appear before the Judge as a Special Deputy US Marshal asking for those warrants."

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.