Desiderata - Cover

Desiderata

Copyright© 2011 by Kaffir

Chapter 14

It was a long time before they drew apart. Even then they had to maintain physical contact, holding hands or sliding an arm round a waist.

"Just as well I made something that didn't have to be eaten as soon as it was cooked," observed Isobel. "As it is it'll be another half hour. You'll find some cans of lager in the fridge or beer on the floor in the larder. Would you do me a lager?"

"Your every wish is my command."

Isobel snorted. "You know it's going to be eleven by the time we've eaten and said goodbye to each other," she went on. "Do you want to stay the night?"

"Is that an awfully good idea?"

"Oh! I hadn't thought." Isobel blushed with embarrassment. "I suppose it might be construed as jumping the gun. Not that I'd mind," she added hastily and then dropped her eyes shyly.

Gerry put both unopened cans on the kitchen table and took her hands. "I'm old fashioned in some ways," he said. "Not old fashioned enough to let it get in my way and as you've agreed to marry me I don't really see why we shouldn't sleep together as soon as we want but there is just one thing and that's the old fashioned bit. I'd like to have asked your father for your hand in marriage before we consummate our love."

Isobel smiled gently at him. "Not in this case, my love. He couldn't care less what I do so let's leave my parents out of the equation."

"You're going to have to tell me more about them at some stage." He squeezed her hands gently.

"I will I promise but not tonight. It would spoil the evening."

"OK."

"So what are you going to do?"

"Stay please and use the spare room unless you invite me to join you."

She nodded. "In that case you'd better warn your parents. We don't want your mother getting in a tizz again like last weekend."

"Good thinking. I'll ring them as soon as I've poured the booze."

He did that and handed Isobel her glass.

"To us," he said softly.

Her eyes met his. "To us," she echoed holding her glass out wide. "Kiss."

He copied her and they kissed gently.

"I love you, my Gerry."

"I love you, my Isobel."

"Ring your parents before we get carried away again."

"Yes, ma'am!"

"Miss still at the moment."

"Very good, miss." He paused. "Shall I tell them?"

Isobel shook her head. "Wait until we've got them both cornered tomorrow."

Gerry chuckled. "Quite right. Thank you, my love."

He rang his parents and got Bruno.

"Hi, Dad.

"Hello, Gerry."

"Dad, I had a bloody awful drive down. I tried to be clever and that didn't work. Then there was an accident at Frimley so I'm hours late. Isobel's very kindly asked me to stay the night so I'm going to do that. We haven't even eaten yet."

"OK, old boy. Thanks for ringing." There was a joking pause. "Don't do anything I wouldn't do."

"As if. See you both sometime tomorrow morning."

"With a young lady in tow."

"Yes."

"We'll look forward to seeing you both. 'Bye, Gerry."

"'Bye, Dad."

He turned back to Isobel. "I got Dad so it was easy."

"So I gathered," she smiled. "Sit down, Mr du Puys. I want to sit on your knee and kiss you."

She did so and then got the giggles. "You've got the length in the leg and I've got the length in the body. You're going to have to sit on my knee in future."

Gerry laughed back. "Where there's a will there's a way," he quoted and pulled her head down. It was a very satisfactory kiss.

Isobel sat up and cradled his head to her chest. "I love you," she murmured.

"And me you." That was said totally seriously then he added, "Pity you aren't a bit taller and then I could get at your boobs."

Isobel seized his hair and pulled his head back. "Typical man," she growled and then went on airily, "One day, I may grant you access to them provided you earn the privilege."

"How do I do that, ma'am, I mean miss."

"By loving me."

"I do."

"More."

"I can't."

"Oh, my darling Gerry, and I couldn't love you more."

Gerry sobered up. "Do you know, my Isobel, as time goes on that could well happen to both of us."

Her eyes searched his. "Oh God! Oh Gerry!" Her lips found his again.

Almost too soon dinner was ready. Isobel had slow cooked an oxtail stew which only needed potatoes. It was swimming with vegetables.

"Whee!" said Gerry. "I didn't know I was marrying a cordon bleu chef."

Isobel smiled at him. She did not dare say anything because of the lump in her throat. She gathered her wits.

"Gerry, when we get married and even before where are we going to live?"

Gerry looked at her blankly. He had not thought this through.

"You work in London, my sweet. I work down here. Are we only going to see each other at weekends?"

"No! I couldn't bear that."

"So do I give up my job?"

"That would be a pity. I know I'm based in London and would certainly have to go up there two or three days a week but, unless I'm in court or having to talk to people face to face in London, I could do a lot of work through emails and the phone."

Isobel nodded. "I'm sure you could but it wouldn't do your working relationship with your colleagues any good. I think, if anything, I've got to try to find a job in London."

"But you've got a wonderful job down here."

"Yes, I have but Henry would be the first to understand if I was to leave."

"But he's probably got plans to make you a partner."

"Not for a long time and he knows jolly well that women get married, have babies, get out of date and, and, and."

"So you'd be prepared to ditch Barnes and Honey to be with me?"

Isobel nodded. "Yes," she said quietly.

Gerry could only look at her. He was incapable of speech. This independent, self asserting girl with a bright future was prepared to drop it all for him. He reached across the table and found her hand. She squeezed his.

"Gerry," she said softly but firmly, "we've just committed ourselves to each other for life. OK, I earn a decent salary but I'm going to become a wife and mother and my career doesn't matter a tuppenny damn compared to yours. You will go on to become a QC and possibly hold a national position. I never will achieve anything like what you can. Your career comes first. End of story."

There was a silence while Gerry took in what she was saying.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.