Second Squad, Third Platoon, E Company
Chapter 10

Copyright© 2011 by aubie56

The next morning, after the quickie and breakfast, we headed out on today's assignment. Today, our purpose was to test how well we could operate with three PIATs and three shotguns. None of us had any doubts about how well we would do with this weapon combination, but we still wanted to try it out before we got into any real binds.

We had hardly gotten away from the home cave when we spotted some JU-88s and vice versa. There were five of the JU-88s, so we didn't wait to fool around. The shotguns had a slightly longer range, so I called for those of us with the shotguns to use fragmentation rounds set for 20 feet proximity. We began firing as soon as the JU-88s were close enough. With the shotguns on full automatic, there was no problem with filling the sky with shell fragments. Every one of the JU-88s took hits. They turned to escape, but, by now, they were also within range of the PIATs. The larger warhead size of the PIAT made for short work of the JU-88s, and it was a pleasure to see them crash into the ground while they were still a comfortable distance away from us. Well, we now had a good indication of what the fragmentation proximity rounds could do.

We continued for about two more miles without spotting anything to shoot at, and we were beginning to get a little impatient for some more action. Shit! Be careful what you wish for! Suddenly, around 20 of the crockdogs showed up from around a hill. The damned beasts charged us without hesitation, so we quickly switched to pisspots and began shooting all six weapons on full automatic. Even these rounds had proximity fuses and we set them for five feet. By the time all of us got wound up and shooting, the fatal liquid was spraying all over the place. The crockdogs withstood the simulated human piss no better than any of the other creatures that we had tried it on, and they died only moments after being splashed. That was almost fun. It was kind of like a water gun fight when we had been kids.

We took a cigarette break at this point while I looked over the proposed route for today. Our next obstacle looked like one of those large caves with the guarded apron out front. It was only a few hundred yards away, so we prepared for it as our next likely action.

Yeah, when we got close, we could see the carefully swept sand—a sure giveaway that some monster was hiding just below the surface waiting for us. Charley heaved a concussion stick grenade onto the sand and we watched for a reaction. Well, we didn't have long to wait.

There were at least two Hydras hiding there, and the heads popped up in several locations. These were relatively easy shots for the shotguns firing pisspots on full automatic. We hosed down the area and figured that we had eliminated the opposition, but Charley tossed in another grenade just to make sure.

It was a good thing that he did, because an Asparagus erupted from the sand. This was plastered with pisspots, too, and it died just like everything else that got splashed with the stuff. One more grenade was expended just to be on the safe side, and nothing showed up this time. We were still cautious as we approached the cave mouth because the opening was big enough to hold at least two of any monster we had seen so far.

"Two" was the understatement of the year! Suddenly, three King Kongs came rushing out of the cave, with more behind them. I couldn't see exactly how many were in the depths of the cave, but the seven that I could see were enough to keep me happy. This time, we poured out explosive rounds with the proximity fuse set for five feet. This combination of settings on full automatic let us pour in enough fire to keep the creatures from ever getting more than two or three steps beyond the cave mouth.

I don't know how there could have been so many of the King Kongs in that damned cave, but I had counted 20 that I had shot at. We had started to build a wall of carcasses and parts thereof across the cave mouth, and the ones still alive behind the wall were having to pull the dead ones out of the way so that they could get out. Shit, this was getting ridiculous! I ordered the three PIATs aimed at the roof of the cave mouth in an effort to bring it down and seal the cave. Well, it took nearly half an hour, but the cliff finally collapsed, sealing the cave closed and trapping the rest of the monsters inside. Dammit, I needed to speak to the tour director about over-scheduling the entertainment!

As far as I was concerned, that was enough business for the morning. We moved to a better smelling location and ate lunch. C-rations, as usual, but some more of that great Beef Stroganoff. Damned if we didn't have ice cream for desert! How in the world did Voice manage to keep that frozen in the can!?!

The meal was followed by coffee and a cigarette. I had no idea how Voice did it, but each man had his own favorite brand. That alone was a big morale booster.

Voice, I know that there are two more targets listed on our itinerary, but I think that we have answered our questions. We'll take out those last two places if you wish, but I think that we are ready to quit for the day.

No, Sgt. James Haggerty, come on in. I was about to call you in because I have the two replacements you requested. Also, I have some news about the assassins.

OK, we're on our way.

On the way back to our cave home, I did some experiments with cutting cross country to test our ability to handle attacks unexpected by both sides. We walked slowly and carefully, keeping an eagle eye out for suspiciously smooth sand. We did disturb a few creatures, but none that gave us much of a fight. I think that they were much more surprised to see us than we were to see them. That meant that our return home took longer than expected, but I figured that it was worth the delay.

When we got home, we walked into a conference room instead of the usual hotel lobby. OK, Voice, here we are. What can we do for you?

Please sit down, Gentlemen. I have two men for you to meet. They are to replace your losses since you hit the Normandy beach. Gentlemen, please meet Jasper Hawthorn and Mason Bennett. Both men are veterans of the North Africa campaign, but neither one has had any experience in Normandy. It is my understanding that Normandy experience is not a serious consideration.

Yes, Voice, any combat experience should be adequate. "Good afternoon, Gentlemen. I am Sgt. Jim Haggerty and leader of this squad. For practical purposes, I am also the platoon leader, so I will be expecting you to follow my orders.

"Jasper Hawthorn, huh? What do you want to be called? Jasper or a nickname?"

"Hi, Sarge. Back in my old unit, most people called me Jazz, and that was fine with me."

"Great, Jazz. What was your rank and specialty, though neither one make much difference with this assignment?"

"I was a PFC, and my specialty was as a radioman."

"Well, I guess that makes you a common GI here, since we don't use radios. I'll give you a few details as to why in a few minutes, but I want to talk to our other new man for a minute.

"Mason Bennett, what do you want to be called and what was your specialty?"

"That's Capt. Bennett to you, Sergeant. I expect to be treated with the military respect that I am due. I am assuming command of this detachment immediately. I certainly qualify, as I am a graduate of West Point and have had a lot of leadership training."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.