Service Society - Cover

Service Society

Copyright© 2011 by Lazlo Zalezac

Chapter 5: Reacting to Pressure

Dexter sat down at the conference table and studied his ten project leads. They shifted uneasily in their seats. They knew that Dexter was a man in trouble, and they didn’t want any of the trouble falling in their lap. The Director made a point of belittling Dexter in every public meeting, and it was making people uneasy.

The past month had been hell on everyone. Eric Samuels had been temporarily promoted into the position that had been offered to Dexter. The poor guy had been given the same terms, and was now pulling his hair out. Things had been so bad that he had shown up in Dexter’s office, and screamed at Dexter for a solid thirty minutes, before realizing he was talking to the wrong person.

Dexter understood what the poor man was experiencing. He had calmly waited for his temporary boss to calm down, and the proceeded to explain to him what his plans were. Eric was stunned.

Today was the day for Dexter to unleash his plans on everyone else.

He said, “As everyone knows, I’m not ‘Mr. Popular’ among upper management.”

“You can say that again,” Jim said.

Dexter rubbed his hands together and said, “I want everyone here to identify the weakest person on their development team.”

“I can’t afford to lose anyone. I’m so far behind that I’ll never catch up,” Harry said knowing that was the first step in getting rid of more people.

“I’m not getting rid of anyone. I’m reorganizing the work force to respond to the increased work load,” Dexter said.

“How?” Jim asked.

“You’re all getting secretaries,” Dexter announced.

“How did you swing that?” Harry asked nearly falling out of his chair.

Dexter said, “I didn’t.”

“What do you mean you didn’t?”

“I’m doing this on my own. I want you to take the weakest person on your team, and turn them into a secretary. Their job is going to be doing all that bullshit work that sucks up the time of you and your people,” Dexter answered.

“You can’t do that,” Jim said.

“Maybe not ... but I’m doing it, anyway,” Dexter said.

“You’re going to piss them off. They are engineers,” Jim said. All it would take was one person heading off to personnel and they’d all get ruined.

“We won’t call them secretaries. We’ll call them ‘office engineers,’” Dexter replied with a smile.

Looking skeptical, Alice asked, “Do you think they’ll buy that?”

Dexter said, “Don’t view this as a demotion. Don’t let them view this as a demotion. It isn’t. It’s a reorganization of job responsibilities, that’s all. These folks just might be the ones that make our jobs enjoyable, again. They are going to have a lot of responsibilities. They are going to be dealing with everyone on your team, and across the teams.”

“It sure would be nice to get some of the Mickey Mouse shit off my back,” Harry said.

“The fact of the matter is, that you would have fired every one of them as deadwood years ago, if you could have found a way to do it and had been able to replace them. Now you’ll be getting some work out of them that is of some value to you,” Dexter said.

He looked around the room. His people had a mixture of reactions to his comments. He could see that they liked the idea, but weren’t quite sure of the full implications.

“Here’s the new game. Each of you will have a weekly project status meeting with your people. I won’t be attending your project status meetings. You don’t need me there, and it’s sucking up ten hours of my time every week. Your office engineer will type up the meeting notes and forward them to me. We will all meet once a week for a status meeting. That’s it. Any other meetings you guys go to, will be working meetings,” Dexter said.

“What about the individual meetings with Eric?” Jim asked.

Dexter said, “Eric doesn’t want individual meetings with each project. The poor bastard is overwhelmed with work. He’ll meet with all of his group leaders, once a week.”

“Sweet,” Harry said. That one meeting ate up an entire morning.

“I’m taking John Coleridge to serve as my secretary,” Dexter said.

“Damn, I was going to use him,” Jim said. John had the worst attitude of anyone working under Dexter. He was grumpy, irritable, and complained about everything.

“He’ll still appear under you on the org chart, but I want him answering only to me,” Dexter said.

“If you say so,” Jim said unsure if he was pleased about that or not.

“He’ll be around later this week with templates for all the damned reports we have to file. Give the templates to your office engineer and have them pull the numbers and fill out out the templates. You can review them and then forward them to John. I’ll review them and call you only if I have questions. He’ll put together the reports that I have to give every week,” Dexter said.

“That will save me a whole day of work, every week,” Al said.

“John will also be ‘the conference room Nazi.’ If you need to book a conference room, you’ll call him. Actually, you won’t call him, your office engineer will call him. If your folks need a meeting, they should give your office engineer the attendee list, and let him figure out when and where the meeting can be held. The days of wasting engineering time trying to get a meeting set up, are over,” Dexter said.

Alice said, “You’re making a lot of changes.”

He hadn’t even gotten started with the changes. By the time he was done, the engineers would spend all of their time engineering, project leads would be overseeing the technical issues of their projects, and he would be spending his time making sure that projects were running as scheduled.

Dexter said, “They are long overdue. If this company can’t see fit to hire a secretary for thirty thousand a year, I have no problem having someone who earns a hundred thousand dollars a year doing that job. It’s still cheaper than having you or me do it.”

“That’s true,” Jim said rubbing his chin.

Dexter said, “Now, your people are going to have a lot more time to work on their projects. As a result, I expect to see some real progress on your projects. I also expect people to be done by five, and to go home.”

“I don’t know if that’s possible,” Alice said. She sat back in her chair. She had no idea how much time people were wasting on other stuff, to know what kind of impact that would have on production.

“I’m going to be turning off my Blackberry at five thirty. I’ll expect you to do the same. If you call me after hours, I’m not answering my phone. Once I leave here, I’m not checking my e-mail,” Dexter said.

“You’re kidding, aren’t you?” Jim asked.

Dexter answered, “No.”

“What if there’s a problem?” Alice asked.

Dexter answered, “I’m freeing you to manage your projects. If you are any good, there is no reason for last minute work assignments. Problems may arise, but they should be an exception to the rule. We are engineers. It’s time for us to start acting like engineers, and to anticipate problems before they have a chance to develop.”

“That is a big change,” Harry said.

“I want you to rotate weekend assignments among your staff, in case there are any problems with the production systems. That person is to fix the problem, and only escalate if they can’t find a solution. It isn’t doing anyone any good to sit on someone’s back while they are trying to fix a problem,” Dexter said.

Al asked, “What about...”

Interrupting, Dexter asked, “When was the last time you overruled one of your people when they were fixing a problem?”

“I don’t,” Al said.

Dexter asked, “When was the last time you suggested a solution to their problem?”

“I never have,” Harry said. Others around the table nodded their agreement to the comment.

“Exactly. Why are you and I sitting there wasting his time, when he could be fixing the problem ... particularly if we aren’t contributing to the solution?” Dexter asked.

“That’s a good question,” Alice said.

“Your people will only have to work one weekend a month, rather than be on call every weekend. We’ll be getting weekends off,” Dexter said.

“That’ll be nice for a change,” Alice said.

“Jim, Harry, and Al ... I want you to deal with the Indian companies that are supporting your projects. Assign someone on your team to be their technical contact, and to join you on the conference call. It’s idiotic for you and me both to sit on the telephone at the same time, and then relay everything to one of your technical people. If there is a problem, then they should come to you. If you can’t handle it, then you come to me. This passing around a hot potato is a waste of time,” Dexter said.

“The Indians aren’t going to like that. They want to know that a real manager is on the call,” Al said.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.