A Twilight Knockoff
Chapter 10

Copyright© 2011 by Silverwolf691

We met up in the empty school parking lot around noon Saturday, ten people total, packing ourselves into a borrowed van for the ride.

It was an awkward experience. I sat between Aaron and Allison with Cody on the other side of her, both boys making passes at me when they thought the other wasn't looking. Poor Allison; I knew she liked Cody a little and I wanted to smack him.

An hour or so later, although it felt like forever, we arrived. Everyone piled out gratefully, stretching away kinks and shrugging into coats. We all entered the large ski resort and began the hunt for the rental shack.

I remembered Claire talking about her and my mom coming here on numerous occasions when they were younger. I never saw the appeal, but then again, I grew up in a warmer climate.

As the boys started renting equipment, they turned to me expectantly.

"So, do you ski or board?" Cody asked.

"Neither," I told them. "I said I'd come, I never said I'd participate." I waited out their pleas and told them I was still feeling a little down, but maybe next time. I really doubted it.

So while all the boys and one of the girls I didn't know too well went off to enjoy themselves, me, Allison, Marie and Tracy headed back into the warmth of the resort.

We had all secured a table and hot drinks when I spotted a familiar face.

"DJ!" I hollered and watch him whip his head around.

"Hey, Trish!" He and two other boys that I didn't recognize come over to our table. "What are you doing here? I thought you didn't like the cold."

"I don't, but I got suckered into coming. How about you?" They drew even with us and I saw my companions gazes roam over the new-comers. "Oh, sorry, this is Daniel. These are Tracy, Allison and Marie," I pointed to each of them in turn and they giggled. I rolled my eyes and sighed.

"Hi. This is Casey," he gestured to a shorter kid with Indian heritage, "and this is Michael." Michael was very muscular and only a little bit shorter than DJ, his short hair sandy blonde with matching stubble on his chin; obviously a little older than DJ, maybe mid-twenties. "They're up here for the weekend. Casey's from the Crow Rez and Michael's from Billings."

"Cool. You guys board or ski?" I asked, more out of politeness than any real curiosity.

"Definitely board," Casey replied, a wide grin lighting up his face. "How about you girls? Did you come up here for the coffee?"

"Nah, group trip. I don't do cold weather adventures," I said and they laughed.

"I bet she would if Connor were here," Marie said, a little too loud to be accidental. All eyes swung to her, which had been her intention; she loved attention and didn't care how she got it. One day, it was going to get her slugged.

"Huh?" DJ asked.

"Oh, you didn't know? She asked him if he wanted to come. I guess she doesn't want to be without her new boyfriend." She said it offhand, but the jealousy was clear to read.

"He had other plans." I wasn't even going to bother denying it again; besides, he said he didn't care what I told people. But she was beginning to piss me off.

"I'm sure," she said snidely. "Can you believe she actually invited one of the Hawkins kids?"

"I was being nice," I said through gritted teeth, clenching my fists under the table to control the almost overwhelming urge to come across the table at her.

"They aren't welcome here," Michael said, eyeing me coldly as he and Casey drug chairs up to our table. I glared right back.

"Let's take a walk and catch up," DJ said after assessing the situation. He obviously remembered my temper, or at least the warning signs, helping me into my coat and escorting me to the door.

"Your dating Connor Hawkins?" He asked once we were outside and walking.

"Not really, I'm just tired of correcting them." I sighed and let my anger run out of me as I briskly rubbed my face; it was cold but there was hardly any wind today so it wasn't too bad. "What did Michael mean?"

"Oh, its stupid," he told me.

"Tell me anyway," I persisted. "Connor said something about his family wasn't allowed here, or something."

"It's a bit more complicated than that." He was quiet for a moment, looking unsure. "I'm not even sure I should tell you. Its an old legend that everyone around here has tried really hard to forget about."

"DJ, do you remember me as a kid? Who did I talk to? Did I ever repeat anything?" He shook his head. "Nothing's changed. I'm not going to tell anyone; why would I?"

"Alright, but don't say I didn't warn you." We walked on, moving away from the resort and onto a small trail which had a picnic table a little ways in. He gestured for me to sit before he continued. "Keep in mind that this story is a retelling from someone who heard it from someone else, so I doubt I'll get some if not most of the facts mixed up." He stared around us, gathering his thoughts.

"Once, long ago, Native Americans wandered where they pleased. As you know, the Crow Reservation isn't too far from here, but that wasn't set aside until later. The people who settled in these parts were of another tribe, I don't remember which one. Anyway, it was believed that these people possessed great magic or blessings and so were capable of becoming one with nature in a way that no human ever could; they would turn into animals." He watched me as he spoke. "They turned into one of their most sacred beasts: a wolf.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.