Tempest of Lies
Chapter 6

Copyright© 2011 by A Strange Geek

Fantasy Sex Story: Chapter 6 - Amanda has once again been ripped from a life that she knew into one that is unknown, but this time not by her own choice. Reduced to a mere possession, her independence seems doomed to be crushed by the Urisi slave system. Yet even far from Oceanus, events conspire to draw her into the fray once more, as the Inonni realize that bringing "Enlightenment" to Oceanus is not as easy as they had hoped.

Caution: This Fantasy Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/ft   Magic   Slavery   Fiction   BDSM   DomSub   MaleDom   Oral Sex   Masturbation   Sex Toys  

Jollis had visited the Imperial Palace of Oceanus only once during the waning days of the first phase of Enlightenment, when the old Oceanus order had been unwound save for a scant few Nobles and Overlords they had missed. The Inonni would never refer to them as having escaped, as that implied that their future was imprisonment. The Inonni simply wanted them to fit properly into the new order. Their resistance was to their own detriment, worse than anything they imagined the Inonni would do to them.

Jollis was pleased with the changes that Kyllos had worked upon this former monument to an unenlightened past. Nowhere were they more evident than in the open air cafe in the center of the palace grounds.

Here was a common meeting place for the overworked clerical staff of the Emperor, an attempt to find respite from a dreary life of unrecognized toil scratching the Emperor's words onto parchment, only to cringe under the hard gaze of the cold and unfeeling Imperial Guard. Every word was overheard, every gesture noted, every move that departed from the business of eating or drinking held suspect.

Granted, Emperor Z'garon had promised change, yet guards had remained, and they cared little for their Emperor's wishes. They only knew how to spot conspiracy, and how to invent it when it was not evident.

Now the sounds of booted steps against stone were supplanted by the low drone of real conversation, and even the occasional spate of quiet laughter. No one watched them, save for the gods through the symbolic cherry tree that had been planted in the exact center of the chamber. Jollis smiled at its full, rich bloom. It sat in a pool of soft, diffuse light provided by a wide tube of spun Mage Glass suspended by thin rods that spoked towards the walls of the chamber. The top of the tube pierced the ceiling, where a dome collected sunlight and directed it down to the tree.

A few patrons glanced up at Jollis as he passed their tables, where they paused for perhaps a moment or two, then resumed their conversation. Jollis understood that some were slow to let go of their old fears. The previous Emperor had believed that conspiracy and rebellion would foment here if he did not control what was said and heard. He had failed to realize that men had little need to plot and conspire when they could speak in the open.

And yet Z'garon had promised that he would be different, Jollis mused. But how different could he be? Conspiracy had spawned his campaign to take the throne; Jollis was sure it would have been a matter of time before Z'garon believed conspiracy could remove him, and would move to suppress it.

Jollis found his Master sitting in the last table along the wall, in the corner where a painting of a bright, spring landscape seemed to shine upon the polished wood. He found himself wondering what had been done with the old portraits of scowling past Emperors.

The edges of Kyllos' mouth rose and crinkled, then broadened into a full smile as Jollis bowed. "I am here once again to serve you, Master," said Jollis.

"You honor me, Jollis, as always," Kyllos said. "Please, join me as my equal."

Jollis took his seat opposite Kyllos. "And you honor me. I find this an interesting way to meet, Master. Perhaps you wish to impress upon me the progress that has been made, yes?"

"The wise man may allow himself some pride if he is mindful of his limitations," intoned Kyllos. "Lest he become like the fool and allow himself to be blinded by his own glow."

"Ah, and you have already informed me of these limitations, such as the Mage Guild. Have we not managed to find some of the so-called Rogue Mages, Master?"

Kyllos folded his hands on the table. Jollis did not remember them being so gnarled and age-spotted. In his mind, Kyllos was timeless, and he supposed he foolishly believed the body should follow. "They have become rather adept at avoiding detection by the Oceanus Mage Guild and the Imperial Guards, and thus remain elusive."

"Might I suggest that you turn your attention to the Guild itself?"

Kyllos smiled. "Your keen senses have not left you. Yes, we believe that the new Guildmaster is seeking a rapprochement with them. What few Rogue Mages we have are ones that have come to us of their own will, and they are being employed by the Holy Order."

Jollis was unable to hide his shock. He recovered quickly and fought the urge to look about for one of their number, lest he be caught seated in their presence. "This is ... most unusual," said Jollis, his voice tight.

The Holy Order of Inonni Elders rarely left the Prime Temple. They preferred to send their agents, such as Master Kyllos, an Elder Apparent, to carry out their wishes. Few even knew of the location of the roads that provided safe passage into their midst. Only those that had properly mastered Enlightenment, like Kyllos, could come and go as they wished. Anyone else had to reach them with an arduous journey over the Holy Mountain, as Jollis had been about to do.

"Not when one considers the momentous occasion," said Kyllos. "They are overseeing the dismantling of the old Overlord Portals."

"Ah, yes, I understand now. They are important symbols of the path that we have chosen not to tread."

Jollis knew he was exuding pride in his voice and his face, and would have restrained himself had this been a few moons ago. He felt he had moved beyond the need for such rigid discipline. Pride seemed unavoidable considering the abomination of the Overlord slave system that had preceded the Inonni arrival, and how well they had dismantled it.

The Inonni never opened their Portals to other worlds, even to observe let alone pillage them as Oceanus once did, and the Urisi continued to do. Jollis could understand how the Holy Order would wish to take this moment to remind the Inonni people of the power that had been attained and then willingly sacrificed for Enlightenment. His pride was not for himself but his people; he felt justified in that regard.

Yet his indulgence blinded his senses such that he did not catch the silent pause, nor the bit of hesitation in his Master's voice when he spoke again. "You should feel free to visit one of the old Overlord Manors and perhaps see some of the ceremony for yourself."

Jollis' eyes widened, and his heart thumped, both rare reactions for him. "I am ... I am quite honored, Master, that you would think me worthy to--"

"Please, Jollis, this is one place where your self-effacement is unnecessary. Do not consider those of the Holy Order unapproachable. Yes, pay them the respect they are due, but there is a reason why it is considered proper to remain standing in their presence."

Jollis understood. While the Elders of the Holy Order were the guardians of faith and the guiding hand of the Inonni, to remain seated in their presence was to elevate them to a position of lordship.

"Enlightened but Equal," Jollis intoned.

"Indeed. I daresay many would be happy to meet the Wanderer who set this all in motion." Kyllos lifted his hands from the table and steepled his fingers. "How this moment reminds me of the past, when I first sent my Wanderer out among the lands of Oceanus."

"And now you cast me into those lands again, but this time to seek the Rogue Mages."

"Or confirm that they are collaborating with the Guild."

"How troublesome is the Guild proving to be?" Jollis asked.

A small sigh escaped through Kyllos' nose, and Jollis was surprised yet again. It was very unusual for his Master to show such frustration, even with such a tiny gesture. "They have learned far more about our Portal technology than we consider safe. It is not that they can use that knowledge against us, but that they may export that knowledge to the Urisi Mage Guild and give them advance warning."

"Surely the Urisi Mages will not believe them."

"That is not an assumption I wish to rely on," Kyllos said. "But we have one thing in our favor. Modern Mage Guilds forbid binding Farview pearls to members of other Mage Guilds. It was agreed as such in the aftermath of the Mage Wars, as another hedge against Mages gaining too much power."

"So they will be forced to send their messages by courier."

"They have already dispatched one to the Urisi Guild. We intend to intercept it. If it contains any sort of data on our Portals, we will stop it and issue a fake response."

Jollis considered. "That will work only for so long, Master, if what I have heard of this new Guildmaster is true. He will eventually realize his missives are not getting through."

Kyllos smiled. From the way one corner of his mouth twitched, Jollis could tell it was forced to some degree. "That is where my Wanderer comes in."

Jollis smiled, his far more natural than that of his Master. As much as he still longed to be climbing the Holy Mountain, he looked forward to the challenge. In a way, it was part of that same journey.

Yet his enthusiasm was tempered by the fact that his Master had been so desperate for assistance but had not called upon him earlier. He refrained from pointing out how his presence earlier may have avoided this trouble. "It will be an honor to take up a task for you again, Master Kyllos. And I will be sure to find time to visit a former Overlord Manor in my travels."

This time, Jollis' senses were more focused, and he did note the odd pause before Kyllos' lips curled into a slow and hesitant smile.


"My Lord, I feel the situation with the Urisi has become intolerable," Gedric said in measured tones within the safe and unheard confines of the Lord Admiral's cabin. It was also one of the few places on board the ship that had managed to remain dry. Everywhere else still looked or smelled of the rain that the recent storm had driven into the timbers.

The Lord Admiral sighed. His chair creaked as he leaned back, his face falling into shadow and bringing attention to his threadbare uniform. A goblet stood near one hand upon the table, its contents untouched. "What new troubles have descended upon us, Fleet Captain?"

"Nothing that was not there before, but for a full quarter moon now."

"I am aware of how much time we have spent in port, Captain," said Vortas in a tired voice.

"Will they not even allow our more critically injured crewmen to be taken ashore?"

"They have been generous in providing Healers."

Gedric's eyes shimmered. He fought the impulse to simply accept the Lord Admiral's word at this point. "With all due respect, my Lord, that is not quite what I had asked."

Vortas surged forward into the light, his face creased into a scowl. "But that is your answer nonetheless! They allow nothing and no one to leave these ships." He swept the goblet into his hand, but paused short of taking a drink. "And I should go easy on this stuff, as we do not have very much left."

"I daresay it will join the men's patience, and I share their frustration."

Vortas put down the goblet and stood. "As we all do, Captain." He folded his hands behind his back and stepped out from behind the table, a long and heavy sigh passing his lips. "I had thought they would have at least shown us the courtesy of allowing us ashore during the storm. We could have left a small contingent to keep the ships secure."

Gedric's eyes burned. "They have already shown themselves to be lacking at seamanship. Perhaps they truly do not understand the basic concept that a lighter ship tends to ride out a storm better when in port."

Vortas raised a finger. "That is quite enough. We are not to disparage our hosts."

"My Lord, they are not hosts, they are prison guards! I understand they wish to keep us incarcerated. But it would be preferable to charge us with some crime, or open up on us with Mage guns. In either case we would have some means to fight as dignified men."

Vortas tilted his head slightly, his eyebrows knitting.

Gedric sighed and forced his voice lower. "I worry more about the well-being of the crew with each passing day. Some of them have been at sea for two seasons or more. They need the comfort of solid land under their feet, or at the very least, the company of a warm and pleasing female body. Have not the Urisi allowed us at least that when we visited their ports in the past?"

"And you believe flooding the ships with a bevy of slaves would set the men at ease?"

"It would make their lot more tolerable. And more civilized." He eyed the goblet upon the table and added, "Some decent wine would also help."

Vortas picked up the goblet and offered it. Gedric raised a hand and shook his head.

"Are you sure?" said Vortas. "It may be the last you can have for some time."

"I never developed a taste for rum, my Lord."

Before Vortas could comment, a shrill whistle from above-deck rose in tone, held, then fell. "All hands! All hands! Prepare to receive Urisi dignitary!"

Gedric was to the door in two long strides.

Vortas grabbed the edge of the door before Gedric could open it enough to allow exit. "No."

Gedric did not turn around. "My Lord, I respectfully request to be allowed to--"

"Denied. You will return to your quarters and let me handle this."

Gedric's eyes shimmered. "Lord Admiral, I do not want the men to regret ever having decided to go this route. Perhaps they were expecting something different. Perhaps I was as well."

Vortas managed a small smile. "Boddas often told me that you seem to find a sense of adventure in anything you do."

Gedric turned around, his face stony. "There is little adventure in sitting in a foreign port waiting for something to happen."

When Vortas had no ready reply, the Fleet Captain tugged the door once more. Vortas let go and watched Gedric leave, waiting until he heard the sound of the door to Gedric's quarters close before venturing forth. He climbed the stairs, crimson light washing over him as he emerged, the sea stretching out from shore as a vast blanket of indigo tinged scarlet under the setting sun.

"Lord Admiral on deck!" shouted the First Mate from near the top of the gangplank, standing at rigid attention. Vortas heard footsteps creaking up the gangplank. Four sailors raced into position, perhaps the few on board that had undamaged pressed whites. They flanked the top of the gangplank two on each side, standing rigid as poles.

Vortas drew himself erect, his broad chest swelling against the fabric of his uniform. The head of the approaching figure appeared first, and Vortas resisted giving any overt reaction. A full beard on a Urisi official? Perhaps this was simply an underling.

The First Mate sounded the whistle again. "Presenting His Lordship Ambassador Norlan of the Urisi Royal Court, in service to His Majesty King Jorrusan the Third!"

Any doubts Vortas had that this was a Urisi official were dispelled not by the First Mate's proclamation, but by the way the man held himself when he stepped onto the deck. He exuded the aloof and self-important air that Vortas had come to expect from such people. The Ambassador's gaze swept the deck and the faces of the sailors that stood as honor guard, as if in evaluation of their worthiness to his station.

The Ambassador finally nodded once. The four sailors bowed their heads in unison, then dispersed. The First Mate gave a crisp salute, then turned on his heel and marched away.

Vortas stepped forward. "You honor us with your presence, Lord Ambassador. We have been hoping for some official contact."

Norlan stepped forward, his hands folded behind him. "The delay was unavoidable given the circumstances," he said in an officious voice, his eyes steady and fixed on those of his host. "I hope you understand the awkward situation this presents for the Urisi Nation."

"To be honest, Lord Ambassador, I do not."

Norlan did not appear to react, save for a moment of pensive silence. He nodded once for Vortas to continue.

"We know only of our own decisions and actions. We have no further insights beyond that."

"So you know not why your government was so adamant about stopping you?"

"Save for wishing to bring us back to Oceanus for potential trial, no, Lord Ambassador." Vortas paused, glancing towards the crewmen that were still affecting repairs from the storm and the battle. "I suppose we assumed that once we were past that point, Oceanus would wash their hands of us and place our fate into your hands. From our incarceration and your opening statements, can I safely assume this is not the case?"

Norlan did not reply immediately. He, too, turned his gaze towards the crew of the ship. "Let me just say that it is more complicated than that." He turned back to Vortas. "Is there somewhere we may speak in private?"

"Of course. Please, follow me."

Vortas led Norlan below-decks. "You have a fine ship here, Lord Admiral," said Norlan. "Several officers from our fleet that escorted you into port commented favorably on the performance of your crew. It is a shame that Oceanus has lost such experienced sailors."

Vortas considered taking the opening and suggesting that they could offer their services to the Urisi navy. He rejected it, concerned that the Lord Ambassador might take that as a veiled insult as to the competence of Urisi sailors. "We did not make this decision lightly, Lord Ambassador. We knew the risks we were taking."

"Including the risks to the sailors that opposed you, whose only 'crime' was loyalty to the Emperor?"

Vortas tensed but refused to lash out. From the stoic way the question had been delivered, he assumed that Norlan was baiting him into an emotional outburst. "We regret every death that happened that day, both among our own and our brethren," Vortas said as they entered his quarters. He picked up the goblet from the table, then gestured to the goblets and the gourd seated upon a shelf. "Please, help yourself to my rum if you wish."

"Pass," Norlan said as he closed the door. "Surely your reasons must have seemed quite important to you at the time."

"And still do. Make no mistake, Lord Ambassador. I may regret the death and the destruction, but I do not regret our decision. Surely you know of the foreign power that has conquered Oceanus?"

"As far as I am aware, Duric Z'garon is still on the throne."

"Which says nothing as to who is actually running Oceanus."

"Are you not pledged to obey the Emperor regardless of his politics?"

Vortas had studied the ambassador since he had arrived, looking for some hint as to the man's agenda. He had heard that the Urisi had an ambassador well-known for keeping his emotions on such an even keel that he revealed nothing of his intentions. Yet Vortas refused to believe that the Urisi knew nothing of the situation in Oceanus; if anything, they should know more than Vortas ever would.

"Had this been a simple political matter, Lord Ambassador, I would not even involve myself," said Vortas. "Navy men are supposed to transcend politics, but that is only if we know from whom our orders come. Z'garon may be occupying the throne, but he is not the one giving the orders."

"And how are you so sure of this, Lord Admiral? Why should we not brand all of you traitors to your nation and thus no longer worthy of any trust or respect? Why should we not try and execute all of you in the spirit of good relations with Oceanus? Perhaps we consider your actions to be heinous no matter what power they were directed against."

Vortas glanced into his goblet, considered taking a drink, but put it down upon the table instead. "Because, by your own words, it is more complicated than that. Perhaps I should tell you of the events preceding our decision."

The Ambassador listened with equanimity as Vortas described how Emperor Z'haas had ordered another fleet to attack an Overlord Manor, how Vortas had arrived to speak with the Captain of the fleet, and how he had convinced the Captain to stay the attack until Z'garon had taken the throne.

"While I was heading back to my fleet, Lord Ambassador, we spent a day becalmed. By the time the winds came up again, the lookout had spotted the limping hulks of two frigates from the fleet I had just left. They relayed to me an incredible tale of foreign dreadnoughts that had appeared out of nowhere and tore our fleet to shreds! By the time we had returned to port, we found ourselves in an Oceanus where the Overlord slave manors were disbanded and the Noble Lords deposed and their castles and palaces abandoned! Surely you know of the fate of the Overlord system, for the Urisi bought nearly every last slave the nation ever had."

Vortas looked for some sign that he had managed to disturb the Ambassador, but Norlan's manner remained a maddening display of calm, as if the Lord Admiral had done nothing more than relay the details of a holiday he had taken. Yet Norlan did pause, finally having no ready reply.

Vortas had tried to keep the bitterness from his voice. His opinions towards the Overlord slave system were fairly neutral; it existed -- had existed -- and he had accepted it. His "tour" of Roquan's manor had been a pleasant one, and he could appreciate the slaves for their beauty. The act of ripping them from Oceanus, even if reasonable prices had been paid for them (and who pocketed that platinum?) smacked of an unfair deal, a shameless exploitation of Oceanus' weakness.

"Ships do not appear out of nowhere, Lord Admiral," said Norlan.

Finally. Norlan's voice had been neutral, but a forced neutral. Vortas thought the Ambassador stood a bit more rigid, the lines on his face more tense. "Neither do men, but men use Portals all the time," said Vortas. "Had you not heard of this incident?"

Norlan again paused. "We have heard no official reports of an engagement between the Oceanus navy and a foreign power. One would believe that, given the experience of the Oceanus navy and the fact that the battle was supposedly a rout by your words, a foreign navy capable of escaping detection for so long and besting a whole Oceanus fleet would be far more widely known that it is."

"I cannot offer you any rational explanation, Lord Ambassador. I only know what happened."

"Did you confirm this for yourself? Did you see the actual foreign ships?"

"I did not. Considering the state of the surviving ships -- and that they were the only ones to survive -- I thought it best not to risk my fleet by returning to the site of the battle."

"And yet you risked them in a decision that was guaranteed to--"

"We drift from the subject, Lord Ambassador!" declared Vortas. "We have already stated and restated the consequences of our actions. Cease bludgeoning me with them."

Norlan allowed himself a small smile, which Vortas understood was at his own expense. He cursed himself silently for letting the ambassador rattle him. "As you wish. Please, continue."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.