The Gunny and Lenore - Cover

The Gunny and Lenore

Copyright© 2011 by black_coffee

Chapter 24

14:40 Friday, September 6th, 1991

139 Meadow Ln

Novato, CA 94947

Kate was a little worried. Lenore hadn't given many details on the phone, so she fretted about what sort of vintner the mysterious French visitor might be.

Dan knew her well enough to read her mood, kissing her as she stood in front of the closet, trying to decide what to wear. Half of her things, and most of Lenore's, were still in boxes in the back of the giant closet. The previous owners had built quite a house on the property, a fairly substantial split-ranch laid out in a large "H" pattern, and Kate and Dan had taken the room over the work area next to the garage. On the other side of the open space was the kitchen, and until Kate got some blinds in the windows, persons in the kitchen could see into her and Dan's bedroom.

Dan's gently admonishing kiss helped center her on the things to do for the morning, as he must have known it would. For this, and for many other reasons did Kate love her man, the gap in their years having turned out to be so much less of an issue than her parents, and his, had predicted. Just like the bigger gap between the Gunny and Lenore's ages. And then Kate had a revelation. I can't think of them as separate anymore – they're one unit. The Gunny and Lenore.

Bemused by this epiphany, Kate found, unpacked, and made up bed linens in three of the four guestrooms, the fourth being occupied largely by boxes still unpacked after the big move from Texas. At least there's a bed in there, Kate thought, and we didn't have to buy ceiling fans or lights or a refrigerator, either.

Kate had supper, and cheeses, and cold cuts for appetizers ready for the platter. She even found some decent white – Vouvray – to serve their guests before supper. When Barbara and the Admiral arrived, Kate was ready.

Barb arrived carrying a large basket with cloth-covered contents. When she handed it to Kate, the warm smell of freshly-baked herbed bread rose out of the basket.

"I knew you'd need something unique and welcoming," Barb said, "so we stopped at a bakery in Novato." Kate hugged her and Harry both.

Settling down for small talk while waiting for Lenore to bring their guests, Kate had just fetched the spreadsheets for the planned expenses when Deb and Jack arrived. Effy and his timid girlfriend were just behind them on the driveway.

Barbara set out immediately to make Teddy welcome, and soon the group was chatting animatedly, discussing Kate's options.


Ensign Robert Bertrand-Avigny had definite opinions about how les Amis had been treating them. Their whole mission here was to determine if a mission-critical package Lockheed would add to the Helios-3 satellite the French Government planned on launching in the year 2000 could be deployed on French Naval aircraft also, in a much nearer-term timeframe.

Robert wasn't sure, but he thought the mission had been a resounding failure. M'sieu Patin seemed philosophical, and had spoken of multiple visits, attempting with each one to find something that the program managers at Lockheed would give up their payload to gain instead.

Then the girls showed up, brightening the trip immensely for Robert. Capitaine de Puniet had been greatly amused by the change in Robert's outlook, and had, half in jest, cautioned him against the local girls. "On ferait mieux pour polir le Chinois," he'd said, and Robert had nodded, glumly – better to masturbate (polish the Chinaman) than get hung up on a local.

Robert didn't care, just being around the vivacious Lynne was enough, and the sheer size of her breasts had him befuddled. How such a small girl can carry that trophy around... Robert would give much to bury his face between them.

There was more to Lynne, though, he had learned, and they'd clicked, sharing a wicked sense of humor. He'd been impressed by her drive and energy and quick assimilation of new events, and he felt himself responding to her, almost in spite of his resolution to not lead the girl on.

It was extremely unlikely either de Puniet or Bertrand-Avigny would return to L'Etats-Unis unless Lockheed agreed to build a payload package for L'Aeronavale that could be mounted in an under-wing pod, under, say an Atlantique-2, the long-range anti-submarine twin-turboprop aircraft – an aircraft that by sheerest coincidence Bertrand-Avigny had just completed flight-school and indoctrination/certification for.

Robert was falling a little in lust with Lynne. The thought of leaving her ingenuité, her genuine nature, behind caused him a few twinges. Still, there were the bon chic, bon genre girls of France waiting for him at home, the daughters of socialites and society matrons, the proper match for a young Royale officer such as himself.

It was better to save for tomorrow tomorrow's worries, Robert knew, and Lynne was here today. He didn't quite understand the dynamic between L'Aspirant Collins and L'Aspirant DiPietro, it was a little different than simply being in different years at school. There were more ribbons on Lenore's breast than on Lynne's, but not many more. Lenore had a knotted cord, too thin to be a fourragé, worn around her neck and showing from her collar to the left breast pocket on her dark jacket. What it signified, Robert was unsure – Lenore seemed to have had more time in service than Lynne, but still it didn't seem to be the entire answer.

As Lenore parked the van, Robert could see the trellises and vines with their heavy burdens and dense foliage stretching in neat rows across the hillside. A long, low house stretched away from the large open area and garage under the nearer end of the house.

A small crowd of people made their way out of the garage to welcome them by the time Robert exited the van. It was easy to see where Lenore got her beauty from, Robert decided, and said as much to her mother, Kate, earning him a pleased smile.

When the bon chic lady next to Kate was introduced, Capitaine de Puniet reacted a little oddly, Robert saw, and gave her husband a very intense look, before introducing himself. Further observation of de Puniet would have been impolite, though Robert noticed that la bonne chic had taken note of de Puniet's introduction to her husband, as well. Then the lady had noticed Robert taking note of this also, and so Robert engaged his display of manners.


Kate watched Effy with amusement. The young man was beside himself, showing off "his" vineyard to M'sieu Patin, showing him details about irrigation and drainage that Kate had just seen for the first time herself.

Effy had come alive for his guest, and Kate had allowed herself to be drawn behind, in his wake with the others. There were no questions Kate could answer that Effy couldn't, and many that he could she could not.

The one question that neither had a ready answer for was whether or not they'd ferment and bottle their own estate vintage over the winter.

With an inscrutable look in his eye, Monsieur Patin asked if Kate could send Effy to France. Effy's face fell, mumbling something about his girlfriend and flying.

Kate knew, without asking, that Effy was concerned about the cost of airfare and saving for a wedding and marriage. It was something to keep in mind, Kate supposed.


Lenore and Lynne took the grand tour with everyone else. The Admiral and Barbara hadn't been to the vineyard before, though Deb and Chief Kostowe were staying behind in the solar with Kate, ostensibly in case the Gunny arrived. Lenore suspected it was more a polite fiction for the elderly Chief's sake, and she'd been torn between staying behind and being a good sort-of-hostess-cum-accommodation-officer.

The Chief had seen the dilemma, and told her to attend to her duty. He'd softened it with a warm expression, and Lenore had shot him a grateful look.

Now, however, Lynne and the young Ensign had disappeared for a walk, taking a bottle of the Chenin Blanc and two glasses with them. The development might become a problem by suppertime she thought, but the more immediate concern from Lenore's point of view was that she was left with the Capitaine to keep company.

Her father split his attention between Effy and the older Monsieur Patin, Lenore saw, and so she appealed with an unspoken plea to Barbara. That worthy lady said something to her husband, and the two of them made their way across the living room to Lenore and de Puniet.

"Bonsoir, monsieur, comment est-il avec vous?" Good evening, Sir, how is it with you? Harry spoke passable French, Lenore saw, better then her non-proficient high school stumbling.

"Il est très bien avec moi, et je suis heureux bien d'être arrivé, Amiral." Things are very well with me, and I'm well-pleased to be here, Admiral. Lenore saw no surprise in the Admiral's eyes at being named by rank.

"In English, then, if you please. I trust our Lenore has been treating you well?" Lenore kept her face smooth. Ice cliffs and fjords, icy water, floes floating...

de Puniet smiled, then, more a taut grimace than an expression of mirth. "She has been the soul of warmth and accommodation, Admiral Harding. And yet, as I had shared with your fine young officer, I cannot help but consider that someone was sending me a message."

Admiral Harding regarded the French Navy officer levelly. "I will venture a guess that the good folks at Lockheed and the USAF have been a little less than ... helpful during your visit?"

"You know of my purpose, then?"

"Actually, no Capitaine, I don't. But I did know you were at the Blue Cube this week."

de Puniet gave, what was to Lenore, a very Gallic-looking shrug, and spoke. "We are here to ask Lockheed to build our radiation-detector package into an under-wing avionics pod. We have ordered two for our Helios spacecraft, in a payload module Lockheed is building for us, but we are concerned that our friends in Syria and the religious fundamentalists in Iran may move fissionable materiel by sea to the shores of Spain or France or Italy well before Ariane can launch a Helios. This is an event my Government is privately frantic to avoid."

Lenore held her breath. The intensity of the exchange between the two men was nearly electric. "Capitaine de Puniet, there are other aerospace companies in America. Grumman, for example, can build a detection package that can tolerate carrier landings. Many other companies can build fancy Geiger counters. Why should it have to be Lockheed?"

The French officer gave Admiral Harding a considering look. "Pushing paper though your State Department and Department of Defense is a difficult task at best, Admiral. Addenda to already-existing contracts for modifying hardware are easier than new ones."

Admiral Harding smiled. "A smaller, hungrier company would push the paper on your behalf, de Puniet." Lenore felt the tension snap with the Admiral's smile, and she let out a breath she didn't know she was holding.

Barbara read her husband's face, and now turned to de Puniet. "All the rest is just detail, wouldn't you say, Capitaine? Harry will have a few conversations with old friends, and you'll have some telephone conversations with a few companies, and I imagine you'll have an RFP out by the end of the month." (RFP is "Request For Proposal")

de Puniet shook his head, wonderingly. "Can it be so easy Madame? Yet, you have confidence. I shall place my trust in you, and we shall enjoy the day," and, so saying, hooked Lenore's arm in his and headed toward the kitchen where the cheese and Chenin Blanc waited.

Laughing, Lenore let herself be towed along, the Admiral and Barbara left behind to share a smile.


Deb Reineau always enjoyed her friends' company. Getting so many together in one place was an experience she cherished, as it happened so infrequently for a happy occasion. This was one such, the first since the fundraiser for the California Academy of Sciences a month and a half ago. Thanksgiving, and then Christmas were likely to be the next gatherings, she knew. For now, the Chief was conserving his stamina, for later, when Deb planned for him to need it, and Deb was watching her people.

She had a comfortable feeling from Monsieur Patin, and had formed an impression of de Puniet as a worried man unused to working with men outside of his own profession. Deb hadn't seen any need to get involved between de Puniet and Lockheed, or any particular reason to help him on his mission, but Barbara had seen something. Deb wasn't sure, but it was probably related to Patin's response to Kate's vineyard, or possibly a moment of tenderness for the very obvious attraction between Lenore's young Midshipman shadow and the young La Royale Ensign.

Barbara had it well in hand, though, and Deb was glad she did. Deb had enough on her own plate, already, and unfortunately, that was going to have to include DiPietro, since Deb wasn't sure what Lenore might do about the situation.

Deb needed to talk to Barbara, though, if they were to forge a relationship between Patin and the Collinses. Giving Jack a kiss and a nudge, she stood up. His understanding was plain in his glance at her, and Deb felt an upswelling of love for this man that knew her so well. He had seen that, too, she knew, and he squeezed her hand, and then let her go to talk to Barbara.

"I wish I'd met him earlier, Barbara," she told her oldest friend, and upon seeing her friend's complete endorsement of the sentiment, she hugged Barbara lightly. "You've decided these people can help Kate?" she murmured in Barb's ear.

"Yes," and the two women ended the embrace. Barb smiled, and gently chided Deb. "Isn't it time you found the two young lovebirds?"


Lynne was confused. Men were a complication in her life that she'd always assumed would wait, until she'd arrived at her destination. So why was this Ensign from another Navy causing her heart to beat so fast?

He was everything her father would have liked, she knew, and her aunt and uncle would approve, too. He was a young Navy officer, worldly and sophisticated, with excellent manners, and she was sure, good breeding. Yes, he'd have made her father proud of her.

But Lynne couldn't tell if the fluttering in her stomach was for making her father's memory proud, or for the sheer want she felt for Ensign Robert Bertrand-Avigny.

Want is a good word to describe it, too, she thought, but do I dare take it if it's offered? What the hell am I getting into? You don't know anything about boys! They're trouble! Lynne wished she knew what to do, though staying near Robert was a choice in of itself, she was sure.

Walking amongst the trellises was peaceful. Crickets droned in the September late afternoon, and somewhere an airplane added its own droning as the two climbed the hillside. Down below, a powder blue sedan was making its way up the driveway toward the garage. Lynne and Robert watched it for a moment, and then turned toward each other. Lynne had meant to suggest they walk back down and meet the new arrival, when Robert's lips met hers, and the rest of the world slipped quietly away for a long while.


The Gunny hadn't had a chance to change clothes, Deb saw, and so he was wearing a partially mussed suit. She knew the drive had been stressful. On a Friday afternoon in the Bay Area, any attempt to drive on a freeway was stressful.

"Deb," he rumbled when he saw her, Jack's hand in hers, sitting on the loveseat in Kate's living room, "Can I send you a check?"

He was, she knew, referring to the interview suit and her professional services. "I told Lenore the suit was on me. She finally got around to telling you, huh?" The Gunny nodded, and Deb continued, "Don't fret it, Gunny. Your signing bonus was enough for me, and I just look at the suit as an investment."

"You're sure?" he asked.

"Gunny, shut up," Jack suggested helpfully. "Deb's going to use the money for a good cause."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.