The Gunny and Lenore - Cover

The Gunny and Lenore

Copyright© 2011 by black_coffee

Chapter 10

07:00 PDT Monday, August 12th, 1991

7914-B Arthur Street

Oakland, CA 94621

Tea with Xun Ming was an island of sanity in Lenore's life. After Sandy called on Friday, Lenore had gotten a little introspective. The Gunny didn't seem to mind the extra attention she'd lavished on him Saturday evening and most of the day Sunday. She'd even let him have an extra beer.

Lovemaking had been tender and slow Sunday, and afterward they'd talked about the changes in their lives Lenore's enlistment and enrollment would bring. She'd have only a few more days of free time, as Fales' deputy and Lieutenant Wheeler worked out her duties and obligations. Chief Kostowe wasn't involved with that negotiation, though, to Lenore's surprise. Classes would begin on the 26th, and Lenore had to report for NROTC orientation and New Student Orientation on the 21st, the Wednesday after next.

Wheeler had indeed accompanied her to the University Admissions office Friday morning, and she'd paid over a hundred of the Gunny's dollars to get a transcript overnighted from Sterling Community College. Lenore had had to 'reaccomplish' the application, this time under neatly typed blocks the Navy had typed into.

Lieutenant Wheeler had told her that Commander Fales' office would detail PO1 Dillon to help her become acclimated to the Navy this week. He further told her she would fly to Pensacola, to the Naval Science Institute in early October, where she would receive uniforms and formally enrolled as an Officer Candidate.

PO1 Dillon had called late Friday afternoon and told her he'd take her to get Enlisted uniforms. He'd suggested they do this at NAS Alameda, but Chief Kostowe had told them to hold off on the plan.

Lenore had told the Gunny and Kostowe what Lieutenant Wheeler had said in the MEPS station. The Gunny had snorted; clearly dismissing the statement that some other poor deserving sailor had gotten shafted. Kostowe had told her "Opportunity comes with cost, Collins." Lenore quietly swore in the recesses of her soul that she would earn the chance that had been given her.

And that was another thing – Kostowe had begun calling her by her last name once she'd sworn to defend the Constitution. She'd only seen him briefly Friday, as she was closing the boat up, he'd come to offer her his congratulations, and she'd hugged him impulsively, a gesture he'd returned.

One thing she did on Saturday was hard to decide to do. Dillon and the Gunny had both told her that her hair could not reach her collar. Lenore weighed her options – too short to put into a bun, really, and so she had had it cut to just above her collar, much like Sandy wore hers.

Sunday had seen her get a call from Barbara Harding, and the Admiral had picked up an extension long enough for both of them to congratulate her. Deb set up an appointment with the tailor in The City for Lenore to get fitted for uniforms – both officer and enlisted – for later this day.

So now Xun Ming nodded as Lenore listed all the changes in her life, and Lenore confided in her her fear that her life was changing too quickly. Xun Ming commiserated, and told her a little of leaving China. Talking about it with the older lady helped, Lenore was sure, helped her to see the goal and the long chain of steps necessary to get to it.

Lenore was sore. The Gunny took the physical training with to another level of difficulty, and he'd barked at her about her pushups' form. Making up tonight was going to literally be an exercise in sore muscles, but Lenore was looking forward to it. Her period was due any day now, it would be a long few days' without the physical intimacy she'd come to expect.

And the Gunny had a job interview on Wednesday.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.