The Color of Winter - Cover

The Color of Winter

Copyright© 2011 by Transdelion

Chapter 10

Hvítur was taken aback at Anna's invitation to come to the mundane world. She had never thought of leaving the safe icy cold land of the aurora borealis. "Why ... gosh, Mom, what do you think?"

Dieter laughed to himself. What a normal sounding thing for the Princess to have said!

The Queen suddenly looked hesitant, but the King started right up. "Yes!" he burst out. "That's exactly what I had in mind. Daughter, you must go with these people and be Winter Land's representative."

"Sven!" the Queen protested, "Hvítur is only 16."

The King reassuringly smoothed his lovely wife's arm. "Yes, my dearest Matilda, she is already 16 years old and growing up fast. How good it would be for her to go and see the world! How wonderful for our country if the world came to know of us and thereby ceased to fear us! She could bring them colors long lost to their dreary, lackluster lives of workaholic drudgery. This could be the most important role of her entire life."

The Queen slowly bowed her head. Yes, Hvítur must serve her country.

Well, it may be a duty, but it was not an onerous one in Hvítur's mind. She was very excited.

"You see?" she asked Anna. "I will come with you, and you will introduce me to your world."

Alright! Iosif rejoiced in triumph to himself. Even Dieter was beaming with delight, and Petrushka was excitedly jumping up and down next to Anna.

Anna flung herself at the King, throwing her arms around him. "Oh, um, yes, yes," he said, patting her on the back. "We will miss you, too, Little One, until you can visit again."

Anna sniffled and pulled back, rapidly shaking her head up and down. "I want to go and I want to stay," she moaned, and then she turned and hugged the Queen. The Queen held her tightly, and snuggled Anna against her royal breast for a long embrace.

"You will come back," she assured Anna, "and we will so enjoy having you. Bring your parents, and your brother, and your friends, and we will be waiting to welcome you all."

Anna stepped back then, and smiled at the Royals. She then slyly slipped her hand into the Princess' and tugged her toward the door.

"Oooh, we've got to call the Golden Dragon! Do you think we can all fit on her? Do you know her?" she rattled on.

"Oh yes," laughed Hvítur. "I certainly do! But you're going the wrong way! Come with me, we'll go to my balcony and there we will signal for my Rainbow Dragon to take us to her."

"Oh!" stammered Petrushka, wonderingly. What manner of dragon was one of every color?

They all traipsed to the Princess' chambers, where her handmaiden Stúlka had packed a small traveling kit wrapped in a kerchief in lieu of the luggage that Hvítur had never owned nor needed before. Taking the parcel, Hvítur led them to her balcony. The King and Queen accompanied them, hurriedly coaching Hvítur for her role as ambassador of the Winter Kingdom. In case it ever became necessary, Hvítur had been drilled from birth in preparation for this essential task, but only now was it all becoming real.

Hvítur whistled. A great rustling, rushing sound ensued, and a wondrously great and dainty dragon set down upon the railing. "She's beautiful," whispered Dieter in awe. He felt the Dragon's amused {chuckle} echo in his mind.

"Only a Princess gets to have a Rainbow Dragon!" pronounced Hvítur with pride. "Climb on, and she will take us to your Golden Dragon." The children scrambled up behind Hvítur onto the Dragon's wide back, and the giant beast slipped off her perch. The children waved to the King and Queen as they disappeared above them. The Rainbow Dragon twirled and spun, and swooped to the great landing area below.

The Golden Dragon immediately appeared before them, bowing low before the Princess and her mighty ride. {I abase myself before thee, oh Mighty One, } she intoned.

Hvítur nodded, solemnly accepting the Golden Dragon's homage, then smiled widely. "It is time to get these children home," the lovely teenager informed her. "Anna, if you would ride with me on my Rainbow, the Golden Dragon will bear the boys homeward."

Anna agreed, and the boys slid down from the dazzlingly pigmented Rainbow Dragon, to cross over to the comparatively tamely hued Golden Dragon. She fondly nudged them onto her back, glad to see them again. {I am very honored, Your Highness, and delighted to fly with my glorious Rainbow sister once again.}

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.