The Color of Winter - Cover

The Color of Winter

Copyright© 2011 by Transdelion

Chapter 8

"Hello, my name is Grunilla, and I've been assigned to be your guide. What are your names?" the woman in uniform asked.

The kids looked at one another. How did anyone know they were coming? Cautiously, they each introduced themselves to the pretty soldier. She listened carefully, committing their names to memory, and smiled reassuringly. "Don't worry, you're completely safe here. Everyone will be glad to see you! Outsiders hardly ever find us, and you'll be very popular. Come with me!"

They went along cavernous hallways and up a grand spiraling staircase, and through great richly painted rooms where the sound of their footfalls on green and white marble floors resounded from distant walls. As they went, Grunilla grilled them about themselves, where they lived, what they liked to do, and what they wanted to be when they grew up. They finally approached vast golden dual doors, where attendants attired in uniforms of the same lustrous hue reached for the handles and flung the leaves wide open. Grunilla stopped just short of the entrance.

"It is important to present you to the King and the Queen before all others. Dear Sven and Matilda are not very formal as royalty go, and you need not prostrate yourselves before them. Just bow slightly, and remember to call them Sir or Madame or Your Highness. If you forget, don't worry, they're really very kind, and won't make an issue of it," she instructed. Knees knocking together, the children's mouths gaped open upon realizing they were to be introduced to the highest rulers of the land. They shuffled into the immense vaulted hall where the King and Queen sat upon their thrones at the far distant wall.

They were the most handsome people one could ever hope to see. The Queen was enveloped in beautiful white ermine, and bore upon Her head a mighty silver crown sparkling with brilliant blue precious stones, and She held a matching sceptor in Her black kid gloved hand. Her throne was cast of silver, embedded with gems such as sapphires and lapis lazuli, and softened with blue and ermine weavings arrayed over the arms and back. Seated next to the Queen on His own intricately carved onyx seat of power, the King's accoutrements were studded with tanzanite, amethyst, and sugilite, and He wore a cape and vestments of deep, plush, rich purple velvet trimmed with ermine. A burgundy red carpet led from the entry doors all the way to the Royal feet.

Grunilla motioned for them to stop at the edge of the wine red runner, then she strode about halfway to the dais, and stood stiffly erect looking expectantly yet diffidently at the Royals. The King made a hand gesture indicating Grunilla should proceed.

Her voice reverberated from the rafters. "If it should please your Majesties, I would present to you the Outsiders who have come to grace us with their presence."

The Queen gave a large smile. "Oh please do. I can't wait to meet them."

Grunilla grinned as she began, "First, I must introduce the fiercest and brave leader Iosif. At 13 years of age, he navigated the young group through the deep marine reaches of the dark wood, unerringly guiding them to our own beloved Golden Dragon. He likes to build detailed models of aeroplanes, and hopes one day to soar to other planets. Right now he's in school learning all he needs to know to accomplish his goals. He's a very handsome young man, and does not yet have a lady friend, so all the single ladies in the palace should take heed."

The Queen beckoned Iosif to approach and stand before Her. Blushing bright red all the way, Iosif came forward and bowed his head deeply. "Hello! Please be at ease," the Queen greeted him.

Grunilla continued, "Next, may I present Dieter, a fine young man of 12 years old. At his tender age, he may or may not be ready for the attentions of the fairer sex, so the ladies are warned to proceed with caution. Dieter is a sturdy sort and loves to build things, so we see a career as a talented engineer in his future. The science and math he loves in school will help him get there. One day the bridges and roads under our feet may well be designed by his capable hands." She turned to Dieter, and waved for him to move up to next to Iosif.

The Velvet King returned Dieter's nod with one of His own. "Welcome, young man, welcome to our home." He smiled.

Grunilla gestured at Petrushka. "Here we have a tender and sensitive youth who will tread a different life path than his older brother Iosif. Petrushka is going to be in the arts, although he's not sure if he will work with growing plants, or artist materials, or upon the world stage with an instrument in his hands. At his innocent age, he'd rather climb into a book than pursue amorous liaisons, although he much adores his young friend Anna who is also here today. Petrushka didn't have a very good school experience, being, well, overwhelmed by the more vociferous and physical types, so his parents are providing his academics at home. I see wonderful, beautiful achievements springing forth from Petrushka's life."

Without prompting, Petrushka shyly advanced to the group of boys. In a rare moment of fraternal love, Iosif put his arm around his little brother's shoulder, a movement affably mirrored by Dieter from Petrushka's other side. This made the King and Queen beam with approval. "So good to have you here, my friend," heartily greeted the King. "So good to see such a loyal group of buddies." Petrushka laughed awkwardly to hear the King, the boy was so amazed by everything happening around him.

Suddenly remembering Anna, Petrushka turned and looked at the wee one in the back of the long chamber. She was twisting and turning and looked a teeny bit frightened. Grunilla caught and followed Petrushka's glance, and spying the girl's nervousness, hastened to bring her into the fold.

"And last but not least," she announced loudly, "is this little ball of fire behind me, this living doll named Anna. If you want something done, go to Anna. She might be scared, but she'll do it any way, and that makes her a very brave heart, indeed. Every day is an adventure for Anna and she leaps from her sleep in the morning ready to jump in with verve and derring-do. She attends Kindergarten where she sweeps the other children into her grand schemes and exploits that are enjoyed by everyone. Just earlier today she incited the boys and their parents to build a giant snow dragon, an act that initiated the events that led these young people to our very gates. She's our next Amelia Earhart and Robert Scott, rolled into one. Perhaps she pesters her brother Dieter a bit too much, but she dares her beloved friend Petrushka to accomplish more than he ever believed possible. I am proud to place Anna before you."

Anna grinned wide, and skipped, literally skipped up the red carpet to the boys. She grabbed Iosif's and Dieter's hands and spun the circle about. Dieter's eyes went wide at this seeming disrespect to the Monarchy, and he pulled Anna to a quick stop. A glimpse of the King and Queen abruptly shut down his worry, however, as they both had their hands over their mouths and were shaking with mirth. Dieter turned back to his sister, and spontaneously gave her a big brother hug.

"Anna, you have blessed us today. Your presence is a grace and a delight. Thank you so much for coming, darling one," cooed the Queen.

"Quite right, yes," mumbled the King. "Rather like our own little Princess, isn't she, Dear?" he opined in an aside to the Queen.

"Yes, yes she is," agreed the Queen. "And so unassuming."

The boys looked at each other and shook their heads slightly. Anna was many things, but she was not shy and retiring.

The Royal couple stood up from their thrones, and descending to the gleaming black marble floor, joined the visitors. They all shook hands, backs were patted, and Anna was thoroughly hugged twice. They chatted back and forth a tad, the King and Queen coming to know their guests just a bit better. Finally a page ran up and whispered into the Queen's ear.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.