The Color of Winter - Cover

The Color of Winter

Copyright© 2011 by Transdelion

Chapter 2

"You ninnies," Anna cried. "Wake up, wake up! The snow, it's here, it's here." She threw herself onto the evergreen coverlet on Petrushka's cot, and shook his shoulder vigorously.

"Erg? What?" mumbled Petrushka, sitting up and rubbing his eyes with his fists. Small groans and noises of protest began to emerge from the room's other inhabitants.

"Petrushka," Dieter grumbled. "Please take little miss Anna away and let us grown ups have some peace."

"Hah!" spouted Petrushka. "What grown ups are you talking about?" He laughed, and jumped out of bed, tugging his bright blue plaid pajamas into place. "Come on, Anna, let's let the old foggies have their sleep while we go out and slay the golden dragon."

Anna's hazel eyes grew round. "Are there dragons?" she wondered.

Petrushka laughed. "Oh, yes," he said. "There be many dragons. Some are big and some are small, smelly and scaly be them all." He crouched down and began to creep toward the half opened door. Reaching for the doorknob, he flung it wide, and jumped into the hallway with a loud growl! Anna shrieked and laughed uproariously. The two younger children ran pell-mell for the cheery yellow kitchen, from which good smells were already emanating.

"Well! Good morning you two," greeted Jaana, Anna's mother. "What are you stalking today?"

"Mother, we're going to find the golden dragon in the white, white snow! Do you want to come with us?" invited Anna with enthusiasm.

"Well, I don't know, Dear," Jaana prevaricated, looking over to her husband Rolf, and then to her friend Liliya Letmanov, who then turned to her own husband Vasili. He just smiled, and shook his head slightly while holding up one finger.

Jaana interpreted. "I think we adults need to talk about it first. But, before you sally forth for any creature fleet of foot, you need your OatieRoos first! Come, come, eat up!"


Mimi giggled when her mother tickled her belly.

"Now, my darling, it's time for beddy bye. Shall I read to you?" Mommy asked.

"Yes, Mommy, yes! Read to me about the Ice Princess again. Tell me about her castle," begged Mimi.

Mommy bent down and tucked the blankets in tightly around her wee daughter, then turned and sat on the edge of the bed. She picked up the scuffed book from the bedside table, and the tome fell open to a dogeared page.

She began, "Dieter and Iosif went ahead, stretching up to grasp the top of the next big blue stair step formed of ice, and pull themselves up and over the edge. Then they reached back and grabbed Anna's little red mittened hands, gently bringing her up to stand next to them. Petrushka scrambled up the best he could on his own. They stood facing the next step, and knew there would be another above that. Over everything towered the crystalline palace, with dragons of every rainbow color flying around the parapets." Mommy peeked at the young girl, and saw that she was already in dreamland. She bent over her and kissed the damp forehead framed by curls. She tiptoed silently from the room.

Some time later, Mimi awoke to loud shouts below. Oh, she had so hoped Daddy wouldn't come home tonight! Panting in fear, she slipped out of the covers and squirmed under her bed. Trembling, she heard his heavy boots as they trod drunkenly up the stairs.

Her bedroom door crashed against the wall as it was flung open. Mimi went away, then, to the ice palace, and didn't feel her body being dragged out from its hiding place.


Never had four children eaten breakfast so quickly. Dieter and Iosif, at 12 and 13 years old, respectively, teetered on the edge of being above childish pursuits, but today childhood reigned supreme. Even their parents gave way to the fun hovering in the air, and agreed that an outing was in order. After everyone was stuffed full of cereal and fruit, and hot sausages or eggs, the troops marched to the big family vehicles for a drive to the countryside.

What a day they all had! First the big boys had suggested that they climb one of the trails. That sounded great, but they didn't get very far before the young ones were struggling exhaustedly through the deep snow. The dads helped out by giving Anna and Petrushka a lift, but the going was difficult, even for the men's long legs. It didn't matter, though, because the crew had gotten as far as a lovely purpley blue meadow surrounded by beautiful tall mountains glistening with sun painted light peach snow. "Let's build a snowman," suggested Petrushka, with mischief in his bright brown eyes.

"Oh yes," yelled Anna, her high pitched voice echoing off the hills.

Dieter and Iosif just looked at each other and shrugged, not wanting to appear too anxious to join the little kids' plans.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.