Broken Angel
Chapter 12: A Step Into Tomorrow

Copyright© 2011 by wordytom

Desperate to make political hay from the situation, the governor regained control of the press conference. "Please," he asked as he mugged for the cameras, would everyone put their weapons away?" He waited through the obligatory laughter and continued, "These two young people were forced to make public certain video tapes that should have been turned over to the proper authorities to be investigated and dealt with in a court of law."

"And be hidden from everybody, especially the press unless there was political advantage to be had from revealing them," a voice from the back interrupted, dripping with honeyed sarcasm.

"The governor took a deep breath and admitted, "Yes, normally you would have been dead on. But because of the bravery of this fine couple, I am going to bare more than is politically expedient. There are other tapes that shall never make it to the public eye. There were some very prominent people in politics and elsewhere who patronized a certain house of prostitution in West Hollywood.

"If you demand the right to expose these people to public scrutiny for doing very personal things that are no one's business but their own, I demand the right to go into your bedrooms and photograph you doing very personal things and then airing those pictures at my discretion. What's good for one is good for another."

"Who is going to decide what gets hidden away and what doesn't, you?" the same sarcastic voice asked.

"No, Jimmy and I shall decide and if you don't like it, don't vote for me," Dana answered for the governor. "Jimmy and I are going to destroy many, many tapes that were taken of well known people as they had sex with people who were willing and above the age of consent. Those are none of my business, Jimmy's business or your business. Nobody gets their clammy hands on them."

"I was featured in many of those videos," Jimmy told the reporters in a matter-of-fact voice. "But if there is illegal activity in them that should be turned over the law, they shall be turned over to the proper authorities. Nobody should be immune from prosecution, as Dana has told me."

"I would like to mention that the President Of The United States personally sicced the FBI and the Secret Service on these two young people with what I believe were orders to apprehend them at all costs. That was self-serving and wrong. We already have way too many scandals being aired to add to them. However this is one that must be addressed, along with all the others.

"But when the president of this nation acts in an irresponsible manner and endangers American citizens for no other reason than to prevent his administration from being embarrassed, I say we fight back." He paused and took a sip of water then said simply, "Look at the screen."

Everyone turned and looked to where the governor was pointing. The vice president was naked and kissing a many years younger man. He began licking the young man's body. The screen went blank.

"This tape would have been destroyed except for the fact that this administration declared war on two people who only wanted to live. If an apology is not issued to Dana Featherstone and James Wright by seven o'clock Eastern Standard Time, another tape and then another shall be played.

The president and I are enemies and have been for years. That is no secret. I am neither using that enmity as an excuse to embarrass him, nor will the fact that we belong to the same party exempt him."

The governor gave the group of reporters a sad smile. "I hate this job sometimes." He shook his head and added, "Oh yes, I would like to close this press conference on a positive note. Dana and James plan to get married tomorrow in my office. All members of the press are invited to the reception. There shall be only two members of the media are welcome at the wedding ceremony itself."

With no hint of an apology he continued, "Janet Powers and her cameraman are there as witnesses and to record the proceedings. Two members of the print media shall also be invited. They have been notified."

"That's unfair," someone protested.

"Well, since I am the one being married to this gorgeous hunk, I'll decide who will be invited and who won't." Dana hugged Jim one handed and he grunted.

Will James stepped forward and told them in a low voice, "Follow the governor." They turned and did so as reporters whipped out cell phones and called their stories in. A runner grabbed up Janet's recording of the proceedings and ran to the truck to transmit the raw material to their TV station where it went out live.

All of San Diego was treated to the vice president of the United States being outed in a graphic manner, thanks to the very resourceful cameraman Janet brought along. He had caught the images on the television as the DVD played.

As soon as they were in the governor's office, he gestured for Jim and Dana to approach his desk. He pointed to a sheet of vellum on his desk. "Come here and read this and see if it meets your approval."

Jim looked at it but couldn't concentrate on the ornate script used on the parchment. "Know all people that by affixing my signature on this document, I Harmon Wilson do hereby proclaim by the power and authority I hold as Governor of the Great State Of California the following two people to be joined together as man and wife."

"Oh dear." Dana said in a weak voice, little more than a whisper. She read the short document aloud to Jim who said, "Oh wow." They looked at each other as if afraid the other might have a change of mind.

What is your full name, Dana?" the governor asked.

"Dana Elaine Featherstone," she answered.

"What is your full name, James?" the governor asked.

"Uh, it's, well, it's Mark Hugh Wright," he answered in embarrassment.

"Would you repeat that?" the governor asked.

"It's Mark Hugh Wright," he relied again. "Everybody started to call me Jimmy in that place and I hated it. But it has been my name for five years. It was another of his 'little jokes.' Oh how I wish I had killed him."

Quickly jumping into the breach, Dana said, "I like Mark. There were two poets with that name, each was great in his own way."

"They were Bob Dillon and Mark Thomas. Both are the same name with different spellings. The name is ancient Irish meaning a ray of light. My middle name means a blaze or a fire. At other times it means intense heat."

He smiled at Dana and told her, "Dana also means wise and Elaine comes from Helen, which means light."

"Interesting as all this is about names, I would like to know if the wording of the proclamation meets with both your approval?" The governor looked gave both of them a quizzical look.

Jim, now to be known as Mark nodded. Dana smiled and said, "It's perfect. But will my wedding dress be ready by tomorrow?"

"Sweetheart, it's ready right now. His granddaughter hung it in your room just before we came down here."

"She did? I didn't notice. Did I like it?" Dana looked longingly at the parchment, her mind not on the conversation. "Oh, I'm so nervous." Mark hugged her and kept holding her close. She laid her face against his chest and closed her eyes. "I love you so much. With each passing hour I love you more and more in all ways possible."

"I hate to interrupt this but the governor has to go kiss babies and we have plans to make." Will James interrupted them. "I also have some news about your friends in California. Can anyone here spell mutiny?"

"What are you talking about?" Dana asked as she unfolded herself from Mark's loving arms.

"When Admiral Burgess tried to hide things under the rug about the toxic waste storage scam, a certain chief petty officer and a certain recently demoted lieutenant commander went public. They were charged under the classified secrets act. Then they were released, as the publicity about Edge Holding's other activities on various military bases became public knowledge. When the Judge Advocate General's office refused to prosecute they were handed dishonorable discharges.

"Seals all over the United States, both active and retired began to protest and as of right now, there is not one team anywhere in the US that has a full complement of personnel. The Marine Commandos have also made their displeasure known and someone blew up the admiral's car as he started to enter it. Officers have begun to join the enlisted men in the demonstrations against the illicit storage of toxic waste."

"Monday we have to get back to San Diego," Dana stated in a no nonsense voice. I am going to be a very nasty person to be around. Tell your friend the president that I am about to do my best to rip his administration apart. I'll teach them to mess with my friends."

"I doubt that the president will wish to speak to me after today's press conference. But, please, Dana, don't do anything too precipitous. It's no good to throw out the baby with the dish water."

"If I remember rightly, the Speaker Of The House is high up on the ladder of succession. You might inform him to start honing his presidential skills. Politicians disgust me." Janet powers and her cameraman were taking in every word and action. Dana was well aware of that fact. It actually was a part of her strategy.

Shaking his head, Will James led them back up to their suite, Janet and her ever-faithful cameraman tagged along. As soon as they entered Dana said, "Shut off the camera." He did so. "This is completely off the record. Do you both agree?" They nodded affirmative.

"Jimmy, er, Mark, look outside the door." He did. No one was there.

Janet held up one finger silently, pointed it at her cameraman and he pulled a small black box with two small antennae out of his case and slowly walked around the room. "All clear," he stated after a few moments.

"What I just did was to pull a bluff and I used you to do it. I have nothing on the president, nor any of his cabinet. But he is such a jerk that I figured he might bite. I want everyone to think that we are willing to go to any lengths to get all this mess resolved. I will too. People have to back off and leave us alone or else Mark and I will go to any lengths to protect ourselves."

Janet smiled, "If anyone else had pulled a stunt like that, I would be on the air with a disclaimer so fast everyone's head would be spinning. But I trust your instincts Dana. Besides, after watching you and 'the man of a thousand names' over there perform on camera and then you let us tag along into the governors office, I can't wait till tomorrow. Can I see your wedding dress?"

The phone rang and Mark answered it, "Hello?"

"Turn on the television set. You have to watch this. Quick." Will James sounded excited for the first time since they had met him.

Mark turned it on and watched the President of the United States become a solid picture and stated, "The vice president of the United States had resigned his office. He firmly denies any wrongdoing but feels it is in the best interests of the country that he do so. Reluctantly I have accepted his resignation."

The phone rang again. Dana answered it. The governor said, "I have the White House on a secure line. The staffer calling has the ear of the President. He wants to know if that is enough?"

"Hell no." Dana shouted into the phone and hung up.

"What was that all about?" Janet asked.

"The president put one of his flunkies up to calling me to ask if the vice president's resignation was enough."

"I take it you felt further redress was necessary?" The phone rang again.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.