Betrayal
Chapter 46

Copyright© 2011 by michael-wolfam

Liv and Finn rode in determined silence the entire, slippery way to the salvage yard. They had to stop several times to push the car when it lost traction. After what seemed like an eternity, they finally reached their destination.

"Did we forget to lock up?" Liv noted the open salvage yard gates.

"Nope, I think the family made it home!" Finn said excitedly. "It looks like the lights in the house and office are on! Oh man, this is great- Shit. I hope they haven't read the paper." He guided the Starfire along a set of fresh tracks that led directly to the warehouse. The main door was open, allowing him to pull in and park next to a lifted, 4 X 4 Ford F-350, which had a flatbed trailer attached to it. Snow chains were wrapped around the truck's knobby, off-road tires.

Before they could get out of the car, they were mobbed by Finn's parents, his older brother, Derrick, and younger sister, Danielle.

"Oh my god, we thought you were dead!" Finn's mom rushed over and gave him a crushing hug as tears fell down her face. "The house was broken into, and everyone in town left messages expressing their condolences. We saw the paper and the surveillance footage ... we thought those guys had killed you!"

"They tried," Finn replied grimly. "But they missed. Takes more than a couple dozen guys to kill a Marine!"

"Geez, you didn't have to bring the war home with you." Derrick shook his head and wrapped an arm around his little brother's neck. "We saw the bullet holes in the cars on the wrecker. What the hell happened?"

Finn related the events of the past two days to his family, who listened in shock. Shock turned to anger when he told them about Grannie being held hostage by Mitch. Only the sound of the wind, howling outside the warehouse, could be heard.

"You're back in town for two days and you already found a girlfriend?" Danielle asked, breaking the tension.

"I was hoping you got that SRT-8 for me," his dad joked. "You know how much I want one!" The mood became almost festive as the Andrews held a miniature reunion. It quickly sobered when they began to contemplate the serious problem at hand.

"So ... we're gonna break into the rehab center and rescue Liv's Grannie," Finn stated in a matter-of-fact tone. "But the problem is that the rehab center is surrounded by a heavy-duty fence and guards. Oh, and Mitch seems to have some kind of personal army at his disposal. So, we were thinking we should return some borrowed property." Finn pointed to the Jeep sitting on the wrecker. "To show him how much we appreciate the loan, I was thinking we could modify it a little. Y'know, add armor, guns, and a big-ass bumper that could break down the gate." He gave his mom a hug. "You guys wanna help?"

"Hell yeah we'll help. Kidnapping someone's grandma is fucked up!" Danielle exclaimed.

"You watch your language," Finn's mom warned Danielle. "Kidnapping someone's grandma is really, really fucked up!" She turned to Liv. "Now, before we get to work, you're gonna need some real shoes. Those bunny slippers look pretty beat up."

"Yeah, I tried to find some in your closet after they burned my house down, but they were too small," Liv admitted.

"Well that's your problem! Danielle is probably more your size. I bet Finn didn't even think about that, did he?"

"Hey, I forget she's all grown up," Finn replied defensively. "In my mind, she's still just a little kid!"

"That's what you get for being gone for so long," his mom replied. "Danielle, see if you have anything that will fit Liv. Then get your asses back here and let's start making a tank." Liv and Danielle nodded, then disappeared into the blizzard, heading for the house. They returned a few minutes later, covered in snow. Liv was wearing a worn, but comfortable, pair of hiking boots.

As Liv stomped the snow from her boots, a pile of car parts crashed to the ground and an orange blur raced between her legs. Liv whipped around, instinctively reaching for her P-22. "What the hell was that?" she gasped.

"That's Rooster, our shop cat," Danielle said and laughed. "He must have spotted a mouse or something. He loves hunting." Moments later an orange tabby pranced up to the group and proudly dropped a dead mouse at their feet.

"Mmm, good boy Rooster. That looks delicious," Danielle said with disgust.

Derrick put on a welding glove and picked the unfortunate mouse up by the tail. "If you're not gonna eat it, I'll take it. Thanks Rooster! They go great with ketchup!"

"Ewww, Mom!"

"I'll make both of you eat that damn mouse if you don't stop. Now, quit playing around, we've got work to do!" Finn's mom said sternly, hands on her hips.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.